Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

power antenna or no?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

power antenna or no?

i was wondering if my cb7 came with a power antenna.
    its a 92 LX. im not sure because the actual antenna can move up and down if i push/pull on it but when i turn the radio on/off it dosnt move. the previous owner installed an aftermarket headunit so idk if he wired it wrong or anything.
    im going to check tomorrow when i have some daylight to see if its all wired correctly.
    but does anyone know if i have a power antenna?
    i know it sounds dumb but this is my first car...

thanks.

i have an ex and it did have a power antena. it stoped working like 3 years ago. but i just havent taken the time to replace it. the way u can tell would be to pull the inside of the trunk out on the side of the antena and there will be a unit for the antena that is the shape of a diamond. i hope this helps

Comment

thanks for the help, im gonna look there tomorrow morning!

Comment

yes your car i supposed to have a power antenna.
        FA1

Comment

yea, there's a power antenna. i installed my own aftermarket headunit -- did a quick job (cheated by using a harness ) and i could play cds and stuff perfectly fine, but the radio reception sucked -- i took the head unit out again and realize that I forgot to plug in this black wire that looks like a large microphone or headphone jack (not 3.5mm, but whatever that large one is). so i plugged that into the headunit just out of curiousity and low and behold...the antenna powered up whenever i turned on the radio --

BUT now my stock antenna is replaced with an aftermarket rubber antenna. reception is better and it wont break as easily as the stock powered, and plus i looks better (doesnt have to power up and down).
          Last edited by sin2k5; 11-23-2006, 03:41 AM.

Member's Ride Thread | DMV Summer Meet 2011
          Q: Why is your pants around your ankles? Answer

Comment

sin2k5, that'd be the antenna jack

You can manually power the antenna to see if it works, though I forget the wiring for it :P

Yup...I like the power antenna of my 92LX. My prelude had one, but it was dead when I got the car.
            If I were to replace it, I'd shave it and install an internal one under the rear deck.
            Opal Metallic Green '92 LX 2dr manual, 181k miles, '94 prelude VTEC wheels for summer (steelies with snow tires for winter), Omni-power struts/springs, and other junk

Comment

i have one of those rubber antennas but it broke off on the road somehow, now it's just a black stump

Comment

Originally posted by sin2k5
                yea, there's a power antenna. i installed my own aftermarket headunit -- did a quick job (cheated by using a harness ) and i could play cds and stuff perfectly fine, but the radio reception sucked -- i took the head unit out again and realize that I forgot to plug in this black wire that looks like a large microphone or headphone jack (not 3.5mm, but whatever that large one is). so i plugged that into the headunit just out of curiousity and low and behold...the antenna powered up whenever i turned on the radio --

BUT now my stock antenna is replaced with an aftermarket rubber antenna. reception is better and it wont break as easily as the stock powered, and plus i looks better (doesnt have to power up and down).
                hmm, in my experience, most aftermarket HU's will not work at all if the antenna is not plugged in. i've had that happen more than once.

Comment

i have a 92 lx and mine is power
                  vouches --> mj1220mj,Trickedaccord92, Maple 50175, Customlowz, 92lx

Comment

do the S2k antenna swap!

Reception is good. Looks pimp. And no need to worry about it breaking and being a mofo hassle..just buy a new antenna and screw it back in!!!!

I did a DIY on it....searchie for it!!

Comment

I have a 90 ex-r and mines power, I just unplugged it because it was really starting to piss me off alot.

Comment

My 91 came with a power antenna but when it broke, I bought an OEM non-powered antenna from Maple and I prefer it. It's nice to keep the antennae down most of the time since I listen to CDs and MP3s nearly exclusively.

In time, when I paint the car, I will shave the antenna hole and install one of the aftermarket ones that goes across the back window.
                        - Ghosty
                        WTB: MAP sensor (2+bar), IAT sensor, ECU & dizzy harness plugs... PM me!
                        FS: coupe window rain guards, f22a6 intake & ex mani, cams, PT6 ECU, valve cover, dizzy caps, OEM fogs... PM me!

Comment

I put in a aftermarket power antenna on my 90 DX. There was actualy a small 3 wire harness right where the antenna mounts so I tested the wire and it had +12v red wire, a green or blue wire (im guessing the orginal antenna signal) and a black ground. I already have a amp in the trunk so I just tapped into the remote amp power signal and used that to tell the antenna to go up and down.

After market (universal or otherwise) have 3 wires.
                          +12, remote signal, and ground. Even if your car didnt have a power antenna your aftermarket headunit should have a remote amp signal wire that tells your amp when to turn on so its not draining your battery when the car is off. Its easy to install, 3 wires and acouple self tapping screws. The hard rubber antennas are ok, I dont think they match the lines of the cb7 IMO but thats just me. I would sugest a retro fit off another car rather than a universal tho, they are alittle noisy and draw a noticable amount of power something to consider if you run a autostart in the winter on a older car that doesnt like to start when its cold. It will just cause it to take more attempts.
                          I cant Slam further. The ground refuses to get any lower.

Comment

Unplugged until I can continue with my plans.
                            Shaving and mounting this(http://sigmaautomotive.com/FoliaTec/antenna.php MB1 shark fin at bottom of page. ) on my trunk behind the driver. Lil bit of a different approach on spoiler, it'll be my tail. What do you think?

Comment

I have an electric antenna but it is unplugged for now. I have to replace the antenna itself as it is broken about 3/4 of the way up.
                              07 Kia Sportage (Her car)
                              91 Accord EX (My car)

04 BMW R1150RS (My bike)

Comment

Working...
                              X