Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

subwoofer box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

subwoofer box

what is the difference between a ported subwoofer box and sealed subwoofer box? is one louder than the other? thanks for any info

Originally posted by slammed4thgen
    be risky, be smart, and most of all be creative!

Originally posted by busak87
    what is the difference between a ported subwoofer box and sealed subwoofer box? is one louder than the other? thanks for any info
    kind of kinda not.
    the ported box depends on how the box is. if its just a box with a hole on the side. its not really gonna matter. but if its made in a way that the air travels a cerain way to release the air makes the sub pound harder.
    DONT SWEAT THE TECHNIQUE

Comment

I Just Put A Regular Box Wit 2 10s In My Trunk It Bangs..
      USDM [H] PiMP

iP0P VTEC
      WhiTE B0Y!!!

Comment

That's a lot of information to ask for, but this link should help you out.

http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=33

Comment

From my experience....
          Ported boxes tend to make a looser, more booming sound. More suited to slower bass sounds and less frequent beats.
          Sealed boxes produce a much tighter, albeit quieter sound. They don't have as much hangtime though.
          IMO Sealed>Ported

Comment

I had a sealed box and i drilled (2) 1/2" holes in the back. I noticed that my hair jumps up more.

Comment

Ported boxes have an air port that is "tuned" to a certain frequency. The enclosure will be louder at that specific frequency, which is why most ported boxes will "boom" when played with hip hop music. Most of that music is heavy in the 32-45Hz range, which is where most box ports are typically tuned to. A sealed box will be better for an SQ setup, as it will have a much flatter frequency curve. It will not really be particularly strong in any area.

Edit - A sealed enclosure will be extend further (play lower frequencies) than a ported enclosure. This is another reason it's preferred for SQ competition.
              Last edited by Camurai; 11-26-2007, 08:47 PM.
              ~If everybody you knew jumped off a bridge...the bodies would pile high enough to break your fall if you jumped after them.~

Project Deerslayer

UPDATE: DEER - 2, CB7 - 0
              '93 EX 5-speed coupe
              Short ram intake
              Tenrai Himoto catback
              Smashed front end
              Random bits of deer blood & hair

Comment

Originally posted by Camurai
                Ported boxes have an air port that is "tuned" to a certain frequency. The enclosure will be louder at that specific frequency, which is why most ported boxes will "boom" when played with hip hop music. Most of that music is heavy in the 32-45Hz range, which is where most box ports are typically tuned to. A sealed box will be better for an SQ setup, as it will have a much flatter frequency curve. It will not really be particularly strong in any area.

Edit - A sealed enclosure will be extend further (play lower frequencies) than a ported enclosure. This is another reason it's preferred for SQ competition.
                just curious is this ur personal info or did u read some research??? there are alot of SQ setups running vented boxs but for TRUE SQ u would actually do a IB setup. because actually sealed boxs do play louder at higher freqs. but a vented box give u double the out put of sealed boxs. but all in all there is not best box its all personal preference.
                Members Ride sold...
                I'm back...... with a coupe. oh boy here we go.

Comment

It was a little bit of both. I've tried both types of enclosures in vehicles, and found the frequency response was a lot flatter with a sealed enclosure, and sealed boxes extend a little lower. If you want to measure the SPL response wave with a microphone and the proper software to prove it, knock yourself out. I've done it before. Ported boxes will have a nice big bump at their tuned frequency.

When I was actually into the scene (granted, this was awhile ago) most people running SQ competition were using sealed enclosures because SQ judging at the time was partially based on a response curve. Not strictly the way you'd expect the "Sound Quality" class to be judged, I'll grant you, but that's the way they were doing it. Typically, the systems set up for a smooth response curve sound like ass. At the time, I thought "SQ" was sort of an oxymoronic term, considering the way it was being measured. Should have been called something like "Scientific Measurement Class."

Anyway, if I wanted tighter bass and deeper extension, I'd run a sealed system. I prefer a little more bump, so I typically run a slot-ported enclosure tuned to about 38Hz.
                  ~If everybody you knew jumped off a bridge...the bodies would pile high enough to break your fall if you jumped after them.~

Project Deerslayer

UPDATE: DEER - 2, CB7 - 0
                  '93 EX 5-speed coupe
                  Short ram intake
                  Tenrai Himoto catback
                  Smashed front end
                  Random bits of deer blood & hair

Comment

ive always heard ported sounds better

96 Impala SS fund:$300
                    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=86795

Comment