Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

My CB7, with paint questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My CB7, with paint questions

My CB7. I don't have pictures of the actual car yet, I took these to put on Facebook and thought I'd share them with you!

Before I painted, I sanded with high grit sandpaper(550 I think). I should've sanded the old clear coat off better. Those squares are where I was
    going to just put on more clear coat. My friend advised me to sand then paint then clear coat. Here are a few others before I painted:

and

and

Those are all the pics I have of before. This is the paint I used:

The code:

Finally, this is after the paint but before the clear coat:

Unfortunately I don't have any more. The clear coat makes it look better but you can still see the squares, so I'll probably sand it off and try again in the spring.
    MRT
    37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
    30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
    27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
    Originally posted by Tippey764
    I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
    Originally posted by deevergote
    sneaky motherfucker

thats an aerosol can rite.
    I just did my hood in matt black and ran out.
    seems kinda powdery.
    after washing it down whatever stuck seemed smooth.
    I"ll post picks if it turns out alright just a trial.

you didn't use wax and grease remover before painting?

Comment

I just realized I didn't actually post the question. For when I do this in the spring, I plan to do the same process. Just sand it better. Is this the route I should take?
      As for wax and grease remover, I've never heard of it. I did see the wax marks so I washed it really well. They didn't come off so I sanded it and washed it again. They were still there so I just painted over them.
      MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

if u clear coated it then wetsand it start wit 1500 then go to 2000grit.
        rub it donw wit rubbing compound next, then poslishing compound
        then after that wait like a month before u seal and wax it

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I was trying to find pictures of my car and remembered this:

This was after I first got it and learned the difference between a car with ABS/Traction and a car without. Btw, my car has ABS, it just doesn't work.
          MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

hhaah wow....wat hapened there?

Comment

Good luck on the paint job! sorry for the but, what kind of rims are those?

Comment

I just realized this should go in the beginner appearance section. Can somebody tell me how to move it?
                Those rims are 100% stock! Just the way the exterior should be.
                As for the snow. That was right after I got it, and the first big snow fall I had a reason to drive in. I was going down I-75 at 75 in 6 inches of snow. The blizzard momentarily cleared and I saw an accident in my lane ahead. I sped up to get in front of the guy next to me. Unfortunately I started to fish tail. I didn't know how to correct it and ended up going sideways at whatever-speed-I-had-left-mph. That's about 4 feet of snow right next to the drivers side door.
                MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Here it is after the clear coat. Keep in mind it is dirty and raining when I took this.
                  MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Looks a lot better! Have you wet sand it and applied compound yet?

1992 Accord EX-R Coupe [Mat Black] Sold
                    1992 Accord EX-R Coupe [Rosewood]

Comment

Looks much better now, however you obviously still want to get rid of those squares.

You'll need to repaint the whole roof again.

I'd say start with a 220 grit to sand down the squares and get them as flush as you can. If needed, apply some bondo, knock it down with 220 and feather it out with 320.

Since the roof is already relatively smooth, all you'll really need to do is give it a scuff for enough adhesion for the new primer & paint to stick.

Use a degreaser and tack cloths on the roof and then hit it with 2-3 coats of high fill etch primer.

Spray 2-3 coats of colour, which will probably take you just as many cans, and finally clear it and wetsand with 2000 grit and then polish it.

As I can see you already have the skills to do a pretty good job, so I'm confident it'll come out looking even better.

Comment

Actually, it looks like shit now. The paint started peeling and it looks like it did before.
                        MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

So redo it with above instructions.

Comment

Working...
                          X