Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

complete newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

complete newbie

whats up all ... i like to do a lil auto work with friends here and there but im a newbie to this site as well anything related to cb7s. I purchased a 1992 accord lx about a year ago for $600 off craigslist. The car is black/dark gray? with black/gray interior which is in pretty good shape and the outside is in pretty good shape..havent really seen any rust but the front bumper looks like its a lil off though...i drove it home about 300 miiles and found out there was an oil leak, air doesnt work and the car started smoking really bad whenever i would start it...kinda left it parked for some months because i was told it would be better to get a whole new engine rather than fix the previous one..well i recently bought another accord for $125 bucks and i am getting that engine as well as a couple other items for the air put into mine..so a couple days ago i went online to price a new/used front bumper and i came accross this site and i was just wowed if thats a word lol..when i first got my car i just needed some cheap transportation and didnt really give a sheesh about fixin it up but now i really want to work on it..sorry so long guys but heres my question ..me being a complete newbie...what should be my first steps? i was told to work on my exterior (by friends) but i just want opinions from the people who actually have cb7s and work on them..do you start with the look first or the engine and components? my car is still at the shop as of right now but i will be getting it next week and hopefully have some pics to post (not in this section of course)....not looking to race or anything like that.. just want my ride to be nice...please help a newbie out!

Your best bet is to restore it mechanically, so it's reliable. Either repair that engine, or replace it. The suspension and brakes could probably use an overhaul as well.

Then, it's up to you. It all depends on if you want a nice looking car, or a fast car... or a little of both.

Comment

im not concerned with it going fast..it will be a daily driver but i do want it it to look nice..even under the hood...i want it to last me some years...i know alot of people add kits..would a kit prevent it from being a daily driver? i would think the bumpers would get pretty messed up?

Comment

It depends on the quality of the kit, how you drive, and what your roads are like. Personally, I'd destroy a kit.

Your best bet is to refresh it mechanically first. If it has no rust, then there's no rush to do anything cosmetic. Rust is a big issue in the Northeast, so rust repair for us is as important as mechanical repair (rust will eat a car alive)

Once it's running properly, then start making it look good.

Comment

thanks deev..i will do that..ive ran into a couple posts on here that will be helpful for me to start workin on the mech part..

Comment

boricua power. welcome aboard.
            **Blk Housed Slut Crew Member #1**

**Don't b scared be prepared for the worst**
            Da Drizzle's Sedan - Dr. Diy's Blk Housed Thread

'90 2Tone Coupe-Car Heaven_'89 Lude-Junk Yard
            Mostly Usdm, some Jdm,Edm,&Puerto Rican RICE

Comment

welcome to the site bro =]

id do what deev suggested, make sure its reliable before you work on the outside. make sure you take good care of it if you want it to last. You must remember that these engines, although strong and long lasting, are almost 20 years old. Be on the safe side and take care of it =] Ohh and post pics of it if you havent already haha =]

Comment

Ditto to what deeve said, but In order to really ask the question about what you should do as your next step I think it is important to post pics of the car so all can see what your working with. Only you can asses the reliability of the car as a daily driver, but we can help you with advice for aftermarket mods But remember, no one thinks a car that looks good but runs like poop is cool.. and WELCOME!

Comment

welcome, lets see some pic

Comment

welcome Lablanca. later.
                    Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Thanks for the welcomes guys ...ill get some pics up as soon as i get my car back from the shop..

Comment

No use in making the car pretty if it smokes everytime you turn it on.

Work from the inside out.

Comment

yay!! another lady.. lol

welcome to the site.

To business, the smoke may be minor depending on what color it is. Pull out your sparkplugs and check them out. They should be an ashy white/grey color. If they're drenched in oil, replace those tube seals. Its a DIY here for that, just search. Since you have that one, I'd work with it. Possibly even work with both. Then you'd have 2 CB's. A daily driver and a "fast car" lol. Also to be honest, a daily driver can be fast, I'll vouch for that any day. A kit would probably get murdered on the street though, that IMO of course. I'd try a lip, see how that goes. Once again welcome.

I'm Shay feel free to ask me anything.
                          Member's Ride Thread

Originally posted by deevergote
                          Don't forget to cut holes in the box. Someone sent me a dead hooker one time, and that wasn't cool.
                          Bought From: AccordWarrior | CB7lx91 | DarkShadow707| Tn_Accords | H23CB7 | Jack_lee | Fatboy1185
                          Sold/Gave To: 90goldcoupe | CB7lx91 | Jas_r34 | F20accordturbo | BatmannamtaB

Comment

Welcome Lablanca.

Like everyone else said, I would do the engine work first, and then figure out the other stuff later. I'm very low on funds so i can't spend money on some fogs and headlights when i REALLY want to. First things first
                            CDOG
                            He's baaaacckk

Comment

@ ralphie & shay ... well i bought the other one just for the engine but its already hauled off outta town..i wish i had checked for other parts i could have gotten off it but i didnt think about it until recently but its too late now.. the mechanic thats doin the work for me told me it was smoking because of the piston rings but it was leaking oil too so he just switched the other engine with mine so he says that should take care of the smoking and the leak..hes replacing the ac hose too with the one from the other car because i guess it had a leak and thats why the air wasnt working so hopefully all goes well..i really wish i would have kept the other one tho but oh well...like i said i was only interested in gettin this car runnin for my day to day and nothing more...ive checked all the junk yards around here and thet tell me they hardly ever have any hondas around this year so i guess i wont be able to find any good used parts that way...but yes ralphie, i will be working from the inside out lol and thanks shay..i will be sure to hit you up if i need

Comment

Working...
                              X