Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

EG6 Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EG6 Problems

i have a 92 honda civic and every time i start the car it knocks until it gets wormed up it only happens in the winter and some times in the summer i have thought about getting an oil analysis done to see if it has iron in it cuz maybe im throwing a baring or sum thing but then i started thinking it could be an oil pump im not really sure any advise?

Valve adjustment?

1993 Honda Accord LX 2004-2009
    1996 Honda Civic LX 2009-2012
    2012 Kia Optima LX 2012-2013
    2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 2013-2018
    2007 Honda Fit Sport 2017-2017
    2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T 2018-20XX

Comment

ya i was thinkin that to but not really sure wat to do first what do u think?

Comment

so nobody thinks its a Baring going?

Comment

As the strange sounds disappears upon warm up it sounds like an oil issue.

Particularly when you mentioned "it happens in winter and sometimes in summer" meaning more often in winter. Winter thickens the oil and takes longer for it to travel esp if the oil level is low or the type of oil is incorrect.

What is the current condition of the oil. New or Old?

Is the dipstick showing its full?

What viscosity oil do you have in there?

My advise:

Change your oil

Make sure its in the full level

Use a reputable oil brand (Shell, Mobil, Castrol, BP etc not no brand names)

Use the appropriate viscosity (check the current ambient temp and look up your manual for the correct multi grade oil range)
          Last edited by JDMDriver; 08-20-2010, 04:52 AM.
          Rides:

Accord
          92-JDM-2.0 Si- "4ws" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
          96-AUDM-2.2 VTiS- Heather Mist

CR-X
          88-JDM-Si- Black

CR-X Del Sol
          92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Motegi Edition - Silver
          95-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Daytona Edition - Silver
          92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" - Black

Prelude
          91-JDM-Si-4ws "Si States" - Phoenix Red
          91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition" - Bordeaux Red Pearl
          91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
          91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition"- Gun Metal Grey

Comment

the oil is good and it does it every time i start the car for warm up in the winter and sometimes and lightly in the summer so im thinking it's an oil pump ... how would i go about checking to see if it needs an oil pump or do u just replace it? and where is it located?

Comment

probabbly piston slap. my f did that too.
              <

(129)Transactions and counting

Comment

Originally posted by hondatech_CB7 View Post
                the oil is good and it does it every time i start the car for warm up in the winter and sometimes and lightly in the summer so im thinking it's an oil pump ... how would i go about checking to see if it needs an oil pump or do u just replace it? and where is it located?
                Oil pump is located behind your timing belt. Its essentially the bottom end of the engine (above your oil sump). It's operated by the cranks turning motion via the balancer belt.

You will first need to remove your timing belt and balancer belt. The balancer and timing belt cogs will need to come off aswell as the rear balancer oil pump drive.

The oil sump needs to be removed before you can remove the oil pump housing. But before you can remove the oil sump the down pipe needs to be removed (or loosened) aswell as the cross member underneath. They need to be removed in order to have enough room to jiggle the oil sump off and have enough room to remove it.

All gaskets and seals (sump gasket, oil pump drive gaskets and oil pump o ring, crank shaft seal, front balancer shaft seal etc) will need to be changed.

New oil change is also to be factored in. If you want to change your water pump while your there you need to factor in coolant also.

Seriously unless your doing the job yourself your looking at labour costs galore, much more than just a timing belt change.
                Last edited by JDMDriver; 08-22-2010, 07:16 AM.
                Rides:

Accord

CR-X
                88-JDM-Si- Black

CR-X Del Sol

Prelude

Comment

Since its not as prominent in summer i say its a viscosity issue.

Just change your oil first and see how it goes.

I recommend in winter a lighter viscosity 5w-40w for example.

Then in summer change your oil and select a higher viscosity 15w-50w for example.

Consult your service manual and measure your ambient temp (the above are just examples).

I suggest to first run cheap oil as flushing oil for a week (to get rid of alot of the sludge that would otherwise contaminate your good oil - which you will keep for thousands of miles).

Then when you have your good oil in there keep within your service intervals (a few hundred miles before the actual service interval is ideal) so the oil doesnt have time to build sludge.
                  Last edited by JDMDriver; 08-22-2010, 07:15 AM.
                  Rides:

Accord

CR-X
                  88-JDM-Si- Black

CR-X Del Sol

Prelude

Comment

I recommend you change your oil, use something synthetic such as royal purple, or mobil 1, also use a reputable filter like a k&n oil filter. It wouldn't hurt to also add a can of the pour type seafoam.

Comment

i would not put a whole can of that stuff in the oil. it thins it out. i put 1/3 can in the oil, drive it then change it right away. then refill with mobil 1 and a oem honda filter
                      COUPE K24

Comment

coo thanks ill do that first and let you guys know

Comment

sounds like piston slap, if it goes away when warmed up i wouldnt worry about it.
                          I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

i dont think its piston slap because wouldn't it do it all the time? jw

Comment

do you know that once metal warms up, it expands? different metals have different rates of thermal expansion as well.
                              I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Working...
                              X