Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

jDM H23A smog legal in CA yes or no?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

See, this is the downside to zombie threads. We now have someone asking for pictures of something that was mentioned over a year ago, regarding a member that wasn't even a part of this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
      See, this is the downside to zombie threads. We now have someone asking for pictures of something that was mentioned over a year ago, regarding a member that wasn't even a part of this thread.
      Then I guess there is no point in this "search" thing everyone keeps mentioning around here?
      1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

ok what do you mean by Smoging a car?
        and what is Bard?

“I’d rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me. Your car is your story, so don’t let someone else write the book.”
        — Mighty Car Mods

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
          Then I guess there is no point in this "search" thing everyone keeps mentioning around here?
          Search is used to answer questions.
          If the questions is not answered, then you start a new thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Madpol View Post
            ok what do you mean by Smoging a car?
            and what is Bard?
            "Smogging" a car is essentially an emissions test. BAR is the Bureau of Automotive Repair. They essentially mean the same thing, and really only apply to California. The rest of the US has much more lenient requirements for inspection, engine swaps, emissions, etc... Some states have no legal requirements at all, in fact.

Comment

Originally posted by Warudakumi View Post
              That is one lucky guy. Who is this guy btw i'm curious to see his setup?

If the ref was doing his job correctly, he would scan and check the serial code on the ECU itself. My ref even went as far as asking for a service record direct from a Honda dealer mechanic clearly stating that the part is indeed a California compliant ECU.
              Well his screen name is Starkrice and there are pictures of his car and engine bay on the site somewhere.

Ref are just techs and they don't know everything. You, or the Ref for example, might think that a California ECU or even a USDM ECU cause the engine to have less emissions and run cleaner than with a JDM ECU. Totally false. I have both a California P13 and a JDM P13 and ran the smog with each one without changing any other parts. Results were the same. Turned out I needed a new Cat. The last time I did smog I did it with the JDM P13 and I had almost zero emissions across the board.

If Ref's would care more about how clean the car runs and less about nit picking details of parts it would save everyone a lot of headache and cost.

My swap thread
              Main relay proplems?--DIY

Comment

Well, its not the Ref its the law.

Comment

The ref makes the call, though. Some are lazy. Some are lenient. Some are shady.

Comment

Thats anywhere, tho. We have visual inspections here for emissions equipment, and I have no cat on the Accord. My inspection guy would just check safety items (brakes, etc) and would tell me, "You really should have a cat on there" while applying the fresh inspection sticker.

Comment

Exactly. Some places are strict, some are not. Some states come down harder on those that don't adhere to the letter of the law. CA is one of those. NJ is pretty strict as well. Anyone found passing cars that shouldn't pass can get heavy fines, and lose their license to inspect (which, at $63 for 5 minutes of work, is a pretty sweet gig!)

Comment

Well, the difference here is no cop is going to pop your hood and crawl around the car. They'll pull you over for a loud exhaust, and tell you to get it fixed, maybe even give a fix-it ticket for the exhaust.

California is just overboard on everything.

Comment

In terms of law, California is usually the front runner. If they do it, other states will eventually follow. That's what my business law professor said, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                            "Smogging" a car is essentially an emissions test. BAR is the Bureau of Automotive Repair. They essentially mean the same thing, and really only apply to California. The rest of the US has much more lenient requirements for inspection, engine swaps, emissions, etc... Some states have no legal requirements at all, in fact.
                            AHH
                            thankyou.
                            sounds a bit like what we call a Cert or a low volume certificate of fitness which you have to have if your engine swap gives you a 30% increase in power minimum and when you go for a cert you have to have everything else up to scratch like brake upgrades for the power increase....basically any mods have to be listed and done properly other wise you cant drive on the road legally and if the cops pull you over you can have your car impounded and a massive fine given. from what i have heard you even have to have a cat put on for a cert.
                            BUT lucky so far i have managed to dodge having to have a cert even with the H22 because it looks so factory in the accord even with our 6 monthly checks we have to go through we call a WoF or warrant of fitness i have still passed .
                            the emissions law hasn't really hit NZ yet but isn't far off but we still one of the worlds strictest countries when it comes to vehicle compliance.

the cost of a cert here is $500 and if you fail you have to pay another $500 i think for a recheck once you have corrected what was wrong.
                            they go as far as a DB level check on your exhaust :P

“I’d rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me. Your car is your story, so don’t let someone else write the book.”
                            — Mighty Car Mods

Comment

Originally posted by 4CYLPOWER92 View Post
                              Well his screen name is Starkrice and there are pictures of his car and engine bay on the site somewhere.

Ref are just techs and they don't know everything. You, or the Ref for example, might think that a California ECU or even a USDM ECU cause the engine to have less emissions and run cleaner than with a JDM ECU. Totally false. I have both a California P13 and a JDM P13 and ran the smog with each one without changing any other parts. Results were the same. Turned out I needed a new Cat. The last time I did smog I did it with the JDM P13 and I had almost zero emissions across the board.

If Ref's would care more about how clean the car runs and less about nit picking details of parts it would save everyone a lot of headache and cost.
                              That is very interesting to know. I would imagine that a JDM H22a will of course run better with it's own JDM P13 however putting in a USDM P13 I imagine the fuel maps are in fact different and would cause a JDM engine to run "not as efficient" because of the slightly higher compression it has. To me that is almost like running a H23 with a F23 ecu sorta. That little percent I needed to pass the sniffer I bet that really didn't help me at all. If I would've thought about it at the time, I would've swapped the ECU housing.

Oh and my H22a is in perfectly sound condition. The techs were just being asses and didn't even allow to keep my car "ON" in between tests to keep the cat hot where it's more efficient.

I am the Yakuza CB7!
                              JDM 96spec H22A 178HP 149TQ

"The JDM Fleet"

1993 Accord Sedan - 2.2 JDM H22a
                              1994 Prelude V-Tec
                              1999 CL 3.0
                              2000 Prelude
                              2010 Accord Crosstour - 3.5

1993 Mirage S Sedan - 2.0 4G63 Project Evo 2.5
                              1994 Mirage S Sedan - 1.5

1991 Isuzu Impulse RS - 1.6 AWD Turbo
                              1993 Asuna - 1.8 "CDM Impulse XS"

1993 Sentra SE-R - 2.0 SR20de
                              1995 200sx SE-R - 2.0 Sr20ve

Comment

I ran a JDM P13 with my H22... mileage still sucked.

Comment

Working...
                                X