Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

What makes a ricer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What makes a ricer?

Hello all, I'm COMPLETELY new to anything car related. I only just turned 17 so please try to cut me some slack . So anyways, where should I even start with this whole cb7 thing? I currently have a 1993 accord LX in frost white completely stock that my dad has passed down to me. I was planning to switch out the front headlights, add a lip, and change the corner headlights to clear as well as a grill. Would this be considered ricer since I'm not changing anything about the engine or mechanics? I'm very low on cash so that plan is the best I can do, (I know most of you will tell me to gtfo now), but I'd really appreciate some help! Thanks.

Welcome to the forum. This place, if utilized properly will answer most of your questions before you even ask them. These cars are 20 years old, almost anything you can think of that could be done, has been done.

From the sounds of your modification plans, those all sound like very tasteful cosmetic upgrades.

The term ricer basically means someone who adds ugly bodykits, large spoilers, stupid paint/graphics/stickers, poorly/unsafely done modifications, and basically does things just to "look cool", meanwhile they look like a complete fucktard.

Browse around the beginners image gallery here and you will find many beautiful Accords to gain ideas from for things you might like to do to your car.

The most important thing before you start modding, is make sure your car is mechanically sound first. No sense in spending $500 in mods when your car needs a tune up, alignment, new brakes etc.

Comment

You'll find that most people on this site will suggest a modification list such as the one you've described. It mostly goes hand in hand with some of the cheaper trends that import car enthusiasts are into these days. It does not make you "RICE" to care only for adding little tidbits so that your car is more visually appealing to you but you won't find issues or discussions on these things very technical.

Just don't be dumb and compromise the safety of you, your car or other drivers on the road for the sake of any modification done from an aesthetic standpoint that people so often do.
      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

a "ricer" is someone that does poorly thought-out, poorly made, or trendy-for-the-sake-of-being-trendy modifications to their car.
        The term is largely based on opinion, so there is no real definition of it. However, there are some things that are pretty universally disliked.

Don't slap every cheap part on your car that you can get your hands on. It's far more respectable to have a clean, bone-stock car than it is to have one that's covered in poorly fitting "ebay" parts.

Also, anyone that tells you to "gtfo now" will be banned. We don't work that way here.

Comment

means different things to different people. As i get older my rice tolerance goes down. To me now, it means cars with modifications that don't add to the functionality of the car.

Comment

Wow, thanks for the very quick replies guys! I would love to get more involved in this forum as a young member. I will definitely try to lurk around the forum a bit more to learn more about cars in mechanics and in general.

Also, not sure if I should make a brand new thread about it, but when I start my car in the morning (it's hard to start both hot or cold, but harder cold), it takes me a couple tries to get the engine started. I usually try to rev it up for 3 full seconds and after the 2nd try, it usually works. The check engine light also turns on when the car starts.

After the first initial start, the car starts easily and the check engine light isn't on. Any ideas?

Comment

With any issue, if you ever have a check engine light, check that first. There's no point in debating or discussing when a code could tell you what needs addressing.

Check in the technical portion of the beginner's section for instructions.
              My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Please don't drag threads off topic, even if they're your own. Make a new thread in the appropriate section if you have a question completely unrelated to the current topic.

Comment

I apologize. Won't happen again. I wasn't sure if it was a big enough topic to make a whole separate thread about

Comment

It's something that has actually been discussed actively in the past few days... so taking a minute to search and read is always best before asking ANY question. People are much more willing to help someone who shows a willingness to help themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by JFrost7 View Post
                      I apologize. Won't happen again. I wasn't sure if it was a big enough topic to make a whole separate thread about
                      these threads are made for future refrences thats why its best to start a new one for diferent questions you might have

Comment

In my opinion, ricer also can refer to your driving style. You can have the cleanest car in the world but if you drive like an asshole you're a ricer in my book, even more so than the guy with a bodykit who knows where his turn signals are.

Comment

No ones a ricer, we all mod our cars different. We might call someone a 'Ricer" because they drive an Asian car with bad taste with mods. In these days I think we shouldnt degrade a fellow modder because of their taste.

Comment

But at the same time were all a little rice. I have footwell lights, aluminum pedals, ebay visors, and mesh in my grille. It's all about making it look good, no half assery.

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

then i see my baby, suddenly I'm not crazy,
                            It all makes sense when i look into her eyes

Comment

Agreed.
                              It's a generalization based on personal opinion. I've seen some cars that were VERY well put together, albeit with a very outdated style (wild body kit, loud colors, big chrome rims...) and the owners got called ricers left and right... by people with poorly-fitting "JDM" body parts, rust holes in their fenders, mis-matched colored body panels...

Someone's genuine effort should always be appreciated, regardless of whether or not it fits your taste.

Comment

Working...
                              X