Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

5w20!?!??!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5w20!?!??!

Hi guys, new guy here.

Long story short, my 1990 honda accord was leaking oil, took it in, guy put in a new valve cover gasket and a new oil sending unit(was leaking and sending oil everywhere). Anyway, my car has 227K, I've ALWAYS used 10w30 in this bad boy since 150K, he insisted I put 5w20 in it? Is he correct? He's been a honda mechanic for 20 years and he says USE WHAT THE CAR WANTS, he said 5w20, and if you cannot get that 10w30. But I always heard 10w30 is better for higher mileage engines? I do realize some people run 5w20 when its cold, and 10w30 in the summer, I just always run 10w30 what do you all think?
    90 accord EX automatic F22A4 232,500
    DIY ram intake
    0gauge/4gauge BIG 3
    stock alt rewound to 120amps
    optima orange top 830cca 1030ca
    fully synthetic valvoline "Max Life" 5w30

Other rides:
    2004 Jeep Liberty v6
    2001 Honda civic ex coupe 1.7 vtec

i would say 5w 30 would be recommended, but it also depends on climate too.
    <

(129)Transactions and counting

Comment

Well since it was leaking oil like a son of a bitch, he put 3 qts of 5w20 in it and it seems to run GREAT. I've run always been told to run 10w30 in high mileage hondas if you consider 227K high mileage(we have several 400K civics in our family, lol). I hear the lighter oil could help gas mileage also slightly.

Climate = Indiana winter currently...
      DIY ram intake
      0gauge/4gauge BIG 3

Other rides:
      2004 Jeep Liberty v6

Comment

Originally posted by 90Haccord
        Well since it was leaking oil like a son of a bitch, he put 3 qts of 5w20 in it and it seems to run GREAT. I've run always been told to run 10w30 in high mileage hondas if you consider 227K high mileage(we have several 400K civics in our family, lol). I hear the lighter oil could help gas mileage also slightly.

Climate = Indiana winter currently...
        Lighter oil isnt always good. It can actually bring out more leaks in the motor then there was before. If you used synthetic before, you should continue to use synthetic. If your using standard oil, i would highly recommend at lightest 5W30. (10W30 in higher climate zones)
        90 Accord EX F22a1 Auto R.I.P.
        2011 Mazda 3 Hatch 2.5L GS sport HELLO!

Comment

Originally posted by js593
          Lighter oil isnt always good. It can actually bring out more leaks in the motor then there was before. If you used synthetic before, you should continue to use synthetic. If your using standard oil, i would highly recommend at lightest 5W30. (10W30 in higher climate zones)
          A good chunk of 5w-30s have shown to have a slightly higher viscosity at operation temps than their 10w-30 counterparts (a la www.bobistheoilguy.com). I don't mind running a 5w-30 in all the family cars. In fact that's what I normally do. Unless I find 10w-30 for cheap.

I'd run a 0 or 5w-20...if it was a top-of-the-line oil and someone bought it for me.
          https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/xlm.aspx TBN of 9.0 Though I'm just going to stick with using whatever I find for cheap.
          Last edited by Otto; 03-22-2008, 11:50 PM.
          Opal Metallic Green '92 LX 2dr manual, 181k miles, '94 prelude VTEC wheels for summer (steelies with snow tires for winter), Omni-power struts/springs, and other junk

Comment

All newer hondas run 5w30 or something like that now. The older I would still stick to the 10w30. 5w30 is supposed to somewhat help out with emissions and so on? But dont quote me on that.

The New-ish Ride
            My old Ride
            Hear my Vtak!!!
            MK3 Member #3
            I piss off people for fun.
            IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
              All newer hondas run 5w30 or something like that now. The older I would still stick to the 10w30. 5w30 is supposed to somewhat help out with emissions and so on? But dont quote me on that.
              I thought most manufacturers were using 5w-20 in most there engines for at least a few years now?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com More info on oil than most would care to know about.
              Opal Metallic Green '92 LX 2dr manual, 181k miles, '94 prelude VTEC wheels for summer (steelies with snow tires for winter), Omni-power struts/springs, and other junk

Comment

Yea I used to browse bobistheoilguy. This was a recent change for Honda as I recall as the others already changed. I think Honda started when they started introducing ther K motors and the newer v6's.

The New-ish Ride
                My old Ride
                Hear my Vtak!!!
                MK3 Member #3
                IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

I just use normal 10w30 when I change the oil, plain ol stuff. I had always done that once I got to around 150K, under the hood it says USE 5w30 OR you can use 10w30, hell if its really supposed to be 5w30 I'll go back to that but its always been 10w30 that I've used. What do you guys think?
                  DIY ram intake
                  0gauge/4gauge BIG 3

Other rides:
                  2004 Jeep Liberty v6

Comment

I use synth 5-30 in my accord and it has around 205000 miles on her.

Comment

alright 5w30 it is, twas my dad's car and he always said 10w30 was best for it so I followed suit. I'll give 5w30 a try.
                      DIY ram intake
                      0gauge/4gauge BIG 3

Other rides:
                      2004 Jeep Liberty v6

Comment

I run 5w30 in the winter. 10W30 summer time.

Comment

I run 10w30 year round from tx weather to the cold weather in IL.

The New-ish Ride
                          My old Ride
                          Hear my Vtak!!!
                          MK3 Member #3
                          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

10 w- 30 all day ive never run anything else ... just because dyno wise my car likes it better lol

..."CLASSIK"-CB790 ex... {UNDEFINED}My Classy but Sick (Classik) Black on Black Members Ride Thread

Comment

Honestly though, something I often hear anecdotally, and have witnessed myself: Engines very rarely fail as a direct fault of the oil, and many times the engine outlives the equipment its powering (racing and certain things aside).
                              Failure is usually seen by outrageous change intervals, choosing a wildly inappropriate oil, letting the sump run dry, and other neglect and outside sources.

AKA: Chances are the engine will outlive the rest of the car. I like to experiment too, but don't loose any sleep over.

Comment

Working...
                              X