Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

A/C Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A/C Question

Hello to My CB7 peeps. Question....how hard is to drain the R12 from our cars?

I called a few places and they want around $150 to just drain the R12. Hell i can "convert" it to R134a with the conversion kit they sell at Autozone / walmart, but really? $150 to just drain.

has anyone done this themselves or know of a place in NY that will do it for cheap. I dont want to buy the R12 off ebay, so i'm curios.

Thanks

[bish]puppy

edit: Before anyone starts to say it: i know not to mix the R12 and R134a. I can only add the R134a once the R12 has been completely drained.
    Last edited by bishpuppy; 06-08-2008, 11:22 AM.
    Member's Page:: Coming Soon

I just went in the woods where nobody could see me, put some safety googles on, and cracked it open. lol Just make sure nobody sees you, i think its like a $10,000 fine

Comment

How much R12 is in there to begin with?

If you have enough R12 then my suggestion is to keep it. Keep the R12, for one it cools better than the 134a. And if you have no leaks will last longer than the 134.

R12 does cost more though but it depends on how much you have to buy.

Comment

Originally posted by rexload View Post
        I just went in the woods where nobody could see me, put some safety googles on, and cracked it open. lol Just make sure nobody sees you, i think its like a $10,000 fine
        thats something i would do lol.....props
        92 4 Dr Ex-sold/91 civic hatch(bad head)/93 civic vx

Comment

R12 is way to expensive now days just do the conversion

FWD'ing it up :

Comment

is it hard to do retrofit?

is there a way to check my car to see if it already retrofitted?

I'm not sure if it did.

Comment

They sell R12 Replacement Can on Ebay

3 cans for 19

12 for 68

Comment

Even just venting it isn't enough. Correctly, you want to draw the system into vacuum to remove any moisture or other contaminants before recharging it. If you do decide to vent the refrigerant, get your hands out of the way when it starts hissing. If the system is full enough, you could get burned from the cold.

Comment

I might have a leak, not sure, but this summer [as of now] is blowing 30% cool, 70% warm, so i'm guessing i'm low. Those R12 are not really R12, they are Freeze-12 [r12 replacement]. The real R12 is like 80 bucks for 3 cans of 12oz.

I will see if i can find a place that drains it for cheap, i'm not trying to pay more than like $50 to have it drained, since R12 is expensive, they will be making their $$ back in no time
                  Member's Page:: Coming Soon

Comment

Originally posted by bishpuppy View Post
                    edit: Before anyone starts to say it: i know not to mix the R12 and R134a. I can only add the R134a once the R12 has been completely drained.
                    That is true but all of the oil mut be drained Pag and Ester don't mix and can cause the compressor to lock up.
                    Without looking up the Ebay site to see what kind of 12 you are buying it is against the law for you to buy it with out a MACS license and I'm pretty sure it is a hazards fees to ship
                    The easiest way to tell if it has been retro-fited is the treads on the fittings threads on the outside R12 threads on the inside 134

Comment

Originally posted by rexload View Post
                      don't get caught..that would be the stupidiest 10,000 you'll ever spend!!

Ride: 2002 Lexus IS300

Comment

Working...
                      X