Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Squeaky power steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Squeaky power steering

My power steering is squeeky! It sounds like a finger rubbing on wet glass, or the sound you get when you clean windows and rub hard. Thoughts?

It also doesn't work very well. Especiallywhen I turn to the left.
    Good things happen to people who know me.

mine makes that noise too... i took the ps pump off my parts car, it made the same noise... i've always said it makes my car sound like a dolphin, especially when the revs are coming down lol but my ps works fine, just sounds funny

Comment

well first try checking the level of fluid, then if its not that....mine kinda made a groaning noise when turning so I had the pump replaced w/ a new one.

member's ride thread
      93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
      99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
      91 Accord SE 176k
      97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

you can try to bleed the power steering system by rotating the steering wheel to the left and right w/o hitting the stops (max turning point). do that back and forth a few times with the engine at idle and the power steering reservoir open. maybe that might help a little.

Comment

Originally posted by alkoholikwun View Post
          you can try to bleed the power steering system by rotating the steering wheel to the left and right w/o hitting the stops (max turning point). do that back and forth a few times with the engine at idle and the power steering reservoir open. maybe that might help a little.
          I've heard that it is better to do this while the front wheels are off the ground. Know anything about that?
          Good things happen to people who know me.

Comment

I had this issue a month back. I took it apart and put it back together. Works perfectly fine now. Chances are, one of the metal "fins" are loose. There are no ball bearings in a PS pump. Take it apart and you'll know what I am talking about.

Good luck.

Follow me on IG: @jdm_inspired

93 'til infinity

Comment

i had a dodge neon a while back that my friends called "the whistler" because the ps squeaked so loud. but the steering was still fine. you could hear me coming from a mile away.

Comment

i replaced the fluid in my grandma's '91 camry by pulling one of the hoses off and draining and then refilling the tank. when i started the car and turned the wheel, i would get the same whining squeaky sound. but if you keep turning, it'll eventually go away as the fluid goes through the system. so i would check to make sure your fluid level is ok

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Les View Post
                  I've heard that it is better to do this while the front wheels are off the ground. Know anything about that?
                  i just recently took off my tranny to get to my leaking Rear Main Seal, took off a hose for the Power Steering fluid and drained pretty much my whole reservoir. took a little over a full Honda Power Steering Fluid bottle to get my reservoir back between MIN and MAX.

i bled my system out w/ my wheels on the ground, seems to work great for me, turned it back and forth for quite some time though cause my system had hella air.

first i test drove my car after just a few turns, and my power steering was not smooth at all, it felt like it was pulsing, it would get smooth to a point, then pulse real quick while turning. must have turned my wheels over 30 times each rotation just to make sure all the air was out.

Comment

i'd replace the fluid and bleed it out before you try anything drastic... couldn't hurt any.
                    AD5OS
                    FOLDING@home

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Les View Post
                      My power steering is squeeky! It sounds like a finger rubbing on wet glass, or the sound you get when you clean windows and rub hard. Thoughts?

It also doesn't work very well. Especiallywhen I turn to the left.
                      you did check the belt to make sure it is tightened to the proper spec, before you go trying some of the other fixes that have been posted.

i agree with the possibility of air in the system . but is the reservior or pump leaking?
                      http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

Mine has started squeaking, sounds like from just the front right, ive had the wheel off nothing is rubbing, my thoughts are can a inner steering rod be dry to make that sound?

It doesn't make the sound with the wheels in the air though just at driving ride height

Sounds like this, though its not as loud as this. Been doing this for about a month now, something is not happy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKrd5KBTcH8
                        Last edited by marcusv8thunder; 10-11-2012, 07:56 PM.

UKDM 93 CB3 Page (1) H22A U2Q7 LSD
                        UKDM 91 4ws Page (3) OEM Minter
                        NOW H22A U2Q7 SWAPPED

Comment

What have you check from the suspension system? It sounds like the rack is running dry. Could be real bad ball joints. Definitely not the belt. The belt squeal like a pig.

Comment

Ok so ive checked the suspension more, and it appears to be coming from the top A arm pivot joint. So i hold the top and bottom of my wheel and shake it, and i feel slight knocking, so it looks like my A arm is gone.

So problem diagnosed for me it could be a good thing to check for other with this problem.

Ill go get a set of A arms now.

UKDM 93 CB3 Page (1) H22A U2Q7 LSD
                            UKDM 91 4ws Page (3) OEM Minter
                            NOW H22A U2Q7 SWAPPED

Comment

Please check proper belt, tension, and power steering fluid level before spending money you don't have to.
                              Jesus drove a Honda, he just didnt talk about it like us. Proof - John 12:49 "For i did not speak of my own accord."
                              Originally posted by deevergote
                              den das al u ned u no dat u get wurs gas milge tho rite?
                              Originally posted by deevergote
                              These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

Comment

Working...
                              X