Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

axle nut, part MXLCVIII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

axle nut, part MXLCVIII

In trying to change the axles, I broke my beloved 1/2" breaker bar. I had a friend come over and he broke a breaker bar and a 1/2" drive ratchet. He had an electric impact, but that didn't work. That axle nut is tighter than hell. Anyone ever cut off an axle nut before? I can't get the car to work to have someone with an airgun hit it. Anyone have any other 'at home' remedies?

I cut off both of mine with my RTX and some heavy duty cutting wheels. If you've got an angle grinder, just be careful around the inner wheel lip, notch the nuts until you can split them with a prybar or cold chisel.

Comment

yup i had to to that when i first bought my coupe lol, except i didnt car about the wheel so that helped alot

PSN ID's:Tidashoni
      1992 Accord EX Coupe
      My FS Thread
      Not so DD 2013 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
      Originally posted by deevergote
      Boosting with a carb is like being a sniper with a bazooka... it works, it gets the job done, but it's not the most precise method.

Comment

get a real impact. takes it right off.

I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
          get a real impact. takes it right off.

not just a real impact but a big air-compressor

PSN ID's:Tidashoni
          1992 Accord EX Coupe
          My FS Thread
          Not so DD 2013 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
          Originally posted by deevergote
          Boosting with a carb is like being a sniper with a bazooka... it works, it gets the job done, but it's not the most precise method.

Comment

Originally posted by almostJDM View Post
            not just a real impact but a big air-compressor
            somewhat, ive taken a crank pulley nut off with propane and an entry level ingersoll rand and this is with a 5.5 gallon air compressor.
            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

yeah I have no access to air tools right now. I might have to get the car movable just to get it to work to have them broken.

Comment

try heating it up with a torch first

Comment

This is what you do, get a GOOD breaker bar either maded by Craftsman or Snap-on or some company like that. Then get a steel pipe and use that to torque it off. I did the auto to manuel swap on my car this weekend and that worked like a charm...

Comment

Originally posted by Gotenks64 View Post
                    This is what you do, get a GOOD breaker bar either maded by Craftsman or Snap-on or some company like that. Then get a steel pipe and use that to torque it off. I did the auto to manuel swap on my car this weekend and that worked like a charm...
                    Yeah, you got lucky. I snapped a brand new Craftsman 1/2" breaker like this.

Comment

Originally posted by visualpoet View Post
                      Yeah, you got lucky. I snapped a brand new Craftsman 1/2" breaker like this.

x2.. plus another breaker bar and a bent 4ft. steel pipe..

to the OP; seems like your axels are still original factory.
                      since i know the full history of my CB. i had no prob taking off the driver side since i had it replaced before in a shop. the passenger side i know was never replaced since it rolled of the dealership. thus, 2 broken breaker bars and a bent pipe.. hell! hulk hogan can't even break that nut!

this solved the prob in 2mins..

Last edited by casterX; 01-27-2009, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Use PB blaster and a 4ft pole on the breaker bar. Oh dont forget you need to step on the bar but be careful not to fall. Works for me all the time.

Follow me on IG: @jdm_inspired

93 'til infinity

Comment

Originally posted by jdm_inspired View Post
                          Use PB blaster and a 4ft pole on the breaker bar. Oh dont forget you need to step on the bar but be careful not to fall. Works for me all the time.
                          I used wd-40, pb blaster, mapp gas, a 40 inch cheater pipe (which bent into a lovely curve before the knuckle snapped off of my breaker) and even tried letting it set overnight soaking in pb blaster.

I do wish I'd had this wheel:

All I could find when I went looking was a 20 pack of these (I checked Lowes and Walmart before giving in):

It took all 20 of them to do both sides
                          Last edited by visualpoet; 01-27-2009, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by visualpoet View Post
                            I used wd-40, pb blaster, mapp gas, a 40 inch cheater pipe (which bent into a lovely curve before the knuckle snapped off of my breaker) and even tried letting it set overnight soaking in pb blaster.

I do wish I'd had this wheel:

All I could find when I went looking was a 20 pack of these (I checked Lowes and Walmart before giving in):

It took all 20 of them to do both sides
                            Dude I don't know if you remember my post about cutting rusty cat bolts, but those ones you show on the bottm are all I had, and they break even if you just lightly set the Dremel down on the ground. I gave up using those!

Comment

Originally posted by Gotenks64 View Post
                              the bar i broke was a Craftsman. the bar he broke might have been a Snap-On (because he said he could get it swapped) and the ratchet he broke was a Craftsman. the steel pipe was how everything was broken. mine wasn't a snap-type break. it was almost like the metal just wore down and it twisted to break. his tools just snapped.

as for being original, the nuts are 36mm and i thought those only came with aftermarket axles. the replacement nuts i got from work are 32s.

Comment

Working...
                              X