Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

How Do You Remove Power Steering?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Do You Remove Power Steering?

If anybody knows of a thread or something that shows how to, it would really help. Step by step with pictures would be great. I'm sure enough people have done it that instructions shouldn't be too hard to come up with.

I want to remove the power steering on my 93 accord ex, not sure how to go about doing this the right way. If you have any tips, or know of any threads showing how to do it, it would be very helpful.

Please don't bother posting any replies telling me why I SHOULDN'T remove my power steering, I already know the consequences of removal and I am not interested in you opinions, I would like to hear from the people who have already done it.

Also, if anybody has any information on the removal of A/C that would be helpful as well, thanks.

Soon to have the first *Bottle Fed Accord* in MI!

Vouch For: fatboy1185

as far as the P/S, talk to drummersteve. he removed his P/S pump and lines and used a clutch reservoir to route a line to to make sure the rack doesnt dry up.

and for the A/C and lines, talk to sideswipe. he removed both and gave the engine bay a little bit more a cleaner look.

both have pics and im sure could tell you how to go about doing it.

Comment

take a wrench and unbolt it, that's all there is to it. if you need pictures, get a haynes Accord repair manual, they sell them everywhere.
      for A/C removal it's the same thing, just unbolt all components. the only thing about removing A/C is that you need to open a fitting and release the freon. make sure nobody sees you doing this, I believe the fine is like $10,000.
      Last edited by rexload; 04-28-2009, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Remove the belt and unbolt it.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow1 View Post
          as far as the P/S, talk to drummersteve. he removed his P/S pump and lines and used a clutch reservoir to route a line to to make sure the rack doesnt dry up.
          and it turned out to be his worst idea ever. He couldn't turn the wheel worth a shit.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Ok, I have decided I'll hold off on the power steering removal, but the a/c and the cruise control have to go. Any more ideas? Throw em at me

Soon to have the first *Bottle Fed Accord* in MI!

Vouch For: fatboy1185

Comment

You can loop the two main lines together. The two pump lines you can route at the rack and the reservoir you can leave at the top. That way it stays lubricated thats how mine is routed.

The New-ish Ride
              My old Ride
              Hear my Vtak!!!
              MK3 Member #3
              I piss off people for fun.
              IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

There are both good and bad things about disabling the power assist. Before you do anything you might (or might not) regret, to see what removing the PS will be like to live with just take the PS belt off.

My experience with the PS fitted to CB7s is that there is no significant reverse pumping affect if the pump is not running (that might possibly cause steering stiffness over and above just removing the assist affect). Since there is no significant hydraulic resistance, there is no real need to remove any PS components unless you are very keen to lose a bit of weight and / or declutter the engine bay.

Check this with your car by jacking both front wheels off the ground, then (with the engine off) turn the steering all the way to the left and to the right a few times. Whatever hydraulic resistance you feel in this test will be what there will be be when driving the car, much much less than the steering weight caused by geometry and car weight.
                Regards from Oz,
                John.

Comment

Or he could just take off the power steering belt and drive around with it to see how he likes it.

The New-ish Ride
                  My old Ride
                  Hear my Vtak!!!
                  MK3 Member #3
                  I piss off people for fun.
                  IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05 View Post
                    Or he could just take off the power steering belt and drive around with it to see how he likes it.
                    much much easier, driving with no p/s is easy just takes a lil getting use to. car reacts the same way as before, but without all the play at highway speeds
                    UNDERGROUND SOCIETY
                    NEW COUPE MEMBERS RIDE THREAD COMMING SOON

Comment

Originally posted by johnl View Post

My experience with the PS fitted to CB7s is that there is no significant reverse pumping affect if the pump is not running (that might possibly cause steering stiffness over and above just removing the assist affect). Since there is no significant hydraulic resistance, there is no real need to remove any PS components unless you are very keen to lose a bit of weight and / or declutter the engine bay.
                      I've always experience just about the opposite. It's A LOT harder to turn if you leave the lines hooked up to the pump than if you took them off.

Comment

if my 5'2 135 pound gf can drive my car like it has p/s (it doesnt) everyone needs to man the fuck up, its hard to turn if you CREEP!!!! keep your speed up an it will be fine
                        UNDERGROUND SOCIETY
                        NEW COUPE MEMBERS RIDE THREAD COMMING SOON

Comment

I'm just curious. What is it with everyone wanting to remove the power steering? It's not going to give you any type of noticeable gain and it wont give you more control at high speeds because the power steering automatically disables after like 25 mph anyway.
                          Personally, I love having power steering.

PARTING OUT MY 1990 EX COUPE!! EVERYTHING FOR SALE! CLICK HERE
                          Listen or download the first 4 songs I completed for my new upcoming album here!!
                          My member's ride

Comment

It makes a difference in the top end, for high revving motors.

Comment

Can't wait to have power steering in my car again! Luxury FTW!

Comment

Working...
                              X