Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

oil sprayed inside of engine bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil sprayed inside of engine bay

i have oil sprayed directly onto the inside of the hood when the car is driving. the oil is sprayed directly onto the sticker thats right above the power steering pump on the inside of the hood. It's misted on there so im not loosing a whole bunch of oil or anything, and no oil is on the ground around the car at all. i originally thought it was power steering fluid and changed the pressure line, turns out its not that. where should i be looking next?? id take a picture but doesnt seem like it would help. the oil is sprayed directly onto that sticker. where would this mystery be coming from?? i figure oil pan is to to low and the seals on timing side (minus cam seal) were changed. VC gasket is good also

I have the same problem..

Hey man that the same thing I going through..I replace my power steering pump and nothing change, so then I change my power steering high pressure hose and it got worst.. So now what? Well I figureed out what was the problem, it was the fucking pumps cooling lines that ran right pass the head lights on my cb7 which is a 92 accord LX with a 4 speed auto. The power steering pump has cooling lines that run in front of the car next to the radiator or in front of it anyways. This is factory install well at least it looks factory. I really can't tell, but anyways I had a leak where the line runs from the resivoir to the head light down to the fan next to the a/c coolant lines down out to the front of the car in front of the radiator, before it goes out to the front of the car theres a joint thats held together by a screw type tightener where you can adjust it to tighten or losen, Ok I'm getting to the end because I'm talking to much but anyways it was right at that joint and it was bad enough to see but when your driving pressure was making it leak out. I never thought it was there until I was losing fliud after I change all that. WOW I'm sorry for the long leture on that, but thats it.

Putting my 2 cents in alright, anybody have change for a half penny? Ok that didn't make cent.. WTF?

Comment

Same problem.. would love to know the answer
      -Will

Comment

got the same problem everytime i got and clean my engine the next day oil on the hood
        Nerotenzo@aol.com

Facebook me

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/Nerotenzo

Comment

i had a similar problem. was right behind the number one cylinder. put in a new pcv valve and hose and that solved the problem. guess its a little outta the way for you though.

Comment

mine was from doing plugs and wires and i forgot to plug the PCV valve back in since i route my wires near the fuel injectors for a cleaner look.
            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

So i guess this is a common crappy problem with Cb7's but yea its def not the pcv thats way out of the way, mine is right on top of the power steering pump but its not the pump and not the pressure line, thats why im calling it oil??? i dont get it the belt for the power steering pump has no fluid on it either. all i know is its spraying on the sticker and dripping down to the valve cover. i will check the hoses by the radiator tommorow.. how can i do a test to find out if its oil or power steering fluid both look exactly the same on my car in the color dept.

Comment

Sounds to me like a bad shaft seal on the P/S pump. The P/S fluid is getting on the pulley where it's flung off. Replacing the seal is pretty easy just remember the pulley bolt is left hand thread. This is a Prelude thread..looks like the same pump to me. On the Prelude the P/S pump is very hard to remove which is why he did it in place. I removed it when I fixed mine.

http://www.preludepower.com/forums/s...d.php?t=261118
                Last edited by dano28; 05-13-2009, 03:13 PM.

Comment

^that. later.
                  Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

i see no fluid leaking at that P.S. seal point mentioned. new symptom though, it could just be my mind though. seems when oil is at bottom hole on dipstick it doesnt leak as much, passed bottom hole and its dripping constantly from somewhere......???

Comment

i took valve cover off, upper timing off. here it was i saw....

front view: you can see oil by mount
                      http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k5...oilleak012.jpg

timing belt dry:
                      http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k5...oilleak009.jpg

bottom of lower timing cover up:
                      http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k5...oilleak002.jpg

side of oil pan seal:
                      http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k5...oilleak004.jpg

bottom of oil pan looking up (oil dripping from somewhere up top down to oil pan
                      http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k5...oilleak003.jpg

where do i go with this??? im lost

Comment

first of all, that "oil" on your hood....is that motor oil? or P/S fluid? or something else? there are some high pressure power steering lines that run to the P/S cooler and then back again (located to the right of the radiator) Those rubber hoses tend to leak after awhile. I noticed this when I did my H22 swap. So it could be coming from there

But if you're getting it on your hood, that means something has to force it up there, so the logical problem would point to something rotating, spitting it up there. But you said your P/S belt and Alt. belt are dry? no oil on them?

member's ride thread
                        93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                        99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                        91 Accord SE 176k
                        97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

The P/S belt doesn't have to show P/S fluid on it. The only place the P/S fluid will be present, if it's the front seal, will be the backside of the P/S pump pulley. I realize that this is not the exotic solution that you are hoping for, but I'm positive that is your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by ENFORCER99 View Post
                            i see no fluid leaking at that P.S. seal point mentioned. new symptom though, it could just be my mind though. seems when oil is at bottom hole on dipstick it doesnt leak as much, passed bottom hole and its dripping constantly from somewhere......???
                            You're talking about the engine oil pan??

You may have severe corrosion on the oilpan or a pinhole leak, possibly right at or above the level that corresponds with the lower dipstick marking. Corrosion has made it all the way from the outside to the inside of the pan, the way through so oil can seep through the corrosion but is not easy to see because it flows "through" the crud instead of on top of it, being masked by the crud. When your oil level gets above a certain point, the pressure of the standing oil is enough to cause the leak.

This kind of corrosion can be caused over time by a leaky slave clutch cylinder dripping back towards the oilpan. (Clutch and brake fluid is highly corrosive.)

Clean the pan thoroughly with a towel and search for pinhole leaks. This just happened to a friend's car that I was borrowing, an 87 (!) corolla. I wiped the oilpan with a paper towel to clean it and oil started welling out of one of the scaly corroded spots.

You know it's badly rusted when wiping it with a paper towel makes it leak more!

First wipe the oil pan as clean as possible so that there are no drips or oil trails visible.

Start the car and let the oil heat up a bit so it thins and flows more easily. Turn it off, go inside and clean the dishes for a few minutes, then come out and re-examine it.

You may already see an oil trail leading to the lowest point on the pan, which is the oil drain bolt.

Follow the trail by re-wiping and repeating until you've found the leak. Press gently on any questionable spots. I say "gently" because you may hit a gusher! And you don't want to massively increase the leakage rate making it difficult to get to and from the parts store or junkyard for your new oilpan, if that is needed.

Sounds like you've got 2 problems: whatever is spraying oil on the underside of your hood, and whatever is causing the leak on the oil pan, which of course I am proposing is a pinhole leak or corrosion leak somewhere on the pan.
                            Last edited by batever; 05-16-2009, 04:58 AM.

Comment

It could be your rocker cover gasket.
                              Have you checked your fluid levels - If a fluid is leaking the corresponding reservoir is obviously going to drop each time/day.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Working...
                              X