Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Wow crazy problem,,,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow crazy problem,,,

Hello all I own a auto 91 honda accord ,,first the new parts ,,then the problem,,ok here goes new upper balljoints/upper control arms,,new wheel bearing (passenger side),,new front brake pads,,,new stabilizer bar link (driver side),,newer tires (front),,just did a alignment and had the front tires balanced,,ok here is the problem at around 15 mph it sounds as if my car is making a hubbing kind of sound originating from the passenger side tire area,,and at around 60 mph my steering wheel shakes back and forth and then fades to smooth and then shakes again kinda on and then off below 60 mph no shake,,it is just stange and when coming to a stop it makes the same sound as it does when going 15 mph like a slight jumping lump kind of sound,,it has me stumped as the only thing that could make the wheelshake is anything I have named the last thing I can think of is the cv shaft ,,any thoughts?

Could be a bad inboard cv joint. They can do weird things at specific rotation speeds .

As to the steering wheel shake, maybe your new hub is defective. If the hub is loose then the wheel could move/wobble laterally, thus pulling on the tie rod and causing your steering wheel to shake.

i would make sure as well that your steering rack is mounted correctly(all bolts tight) and that it is not worn.

But I suspect first the inboard passenger side cv joint and second the hub. Actually, they could work together. The inboard cv joint could be messing up at the speed you are at at 60, thus causing the axle to attempt to decellerate relative the the wheelspeed, causing stress at the hub, which then moves position, moving the steering tie rod, causing the steering wheel shake.

I would replace your cv axle and also see if there is any hub looseness or binding while I was at it.

Someone could have damaged the inner cv joint by letting it hang when it was being removed or installed for the hub job etc. Or it could just be its time. But I would suspect inadvertent damage while removing and reinstalling an on-the-edge axle/joint assembly during all the work you described.

Check the steering gear for mounting problems first.
    Last edited by batever; 09-17-2009, 10:33 AM.

Comment

I will try tha to me replacing the cv joint on the passenger side will be easy,,I will get on that and let you guys know how it turns out,,update soon ,,,,all these parts mentioned are coved under warranty,,so it wont be to hard to get things rollin',,I'll keep you guys posted ,,,peace.

Comment

My steering wheel shakes at about 60 as well, but also at a stop sometimes. ...Engine mounts, maybe?

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
          My steering wheel shakes at about 60 as well, but also at a stop sometimes. ...Engine mounts, maybe?
          Which version of CB7 do you have? EX?

If you have an auto tranny car I believe the engine mounts are dynamic and are supposed to fluid-dampen the engine at stop/idle speed (engine vibration is more apparent at lower rpms than at higher rpms).

If there is a problem with the mounts they might be intermittently failing to do dynamic dampening.

I have a Dx 5 spd and my mounts are just rubber and steel and it vibrates *a little* at idle. You might be getting that same small vibration intermittently if your fluid filled dynamic mounts are messing up.

Other things to check would be the wheel balance (have you lost a wheel weight) or again the inner cv joint if it is just at the specific speed of 60.

As to the steering wheel shake at 60 mph, Interestingly enough, the original Honda CV axles have some kind of rubber damper ring (i'm guessing it's a harmonic damper but the parts guy wasn't sure how it worked) around the axle section (according to the guys at the parts dept at my local Honda dealer) but most aftermarket ones do not. It is possible that the axle rotation speed at 60 mph might be just right to get the axle vibrating good and it shows up as feedback in your steering wheel.

but I would check the other front end parts and the steering gear and hub for looseness if it's a new/sudden problem, if it's getting worse, or if you don't think that is the problem.
          Last edited by batever; 09-17-2009, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Auto '92 LX

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
              Auto '92 LX
              Yeah I think that will have the dynamic mounts. Call the dealer and ask if someone from the site who knows with more certainty than me doesn't verify it.

The mounts work to dampen vibation at low rpms by somehow opening up a valve either inside or outside them and pumping fluid around the inside of the mount.. But only at low rpms, which means there has to be a sensor and an electrical connection, plus a valve and pump somewhere. All of which are potential failure points. So, entirely possible for it to have an intermittent or complete failure of the dynamic dampening due to any of these factors.

I am def. no expert on those mounts though, just telling you what I think.
              Last edited by batever; 09-17-2009, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Given the symptoms my first suspicion would be that one of the front tyres may have a bubble in the tread. Run your hands around the tread feeling for any bulges.
                Regards from Oz,
                John.

Comment

i would look at the CV shaft on the passenger side. you just had the hub bearing replaced. make sure the inner CV is all the way into the trans or it didnt get Over extended and ruined a bearing inside the boot. and double check that everything is tight.

Comment

Well the humming noise could just be the wheelbearing breaking in. But the shaking and stopping sounds like a wheelbearing. Jack the car up and try to shake the tire on both sides.. Also check you axle nut to see if its tight

Comment

got it guys,,,

I found the problem removed the cv shaft and the inner joint dropped like a wet noodle a quick flash of my honda wizard hands and it was swapped out in about 20 min at advance auto and hit the road got the old girl up to 70(well I would say 265,000 plus miles should be somewhat old ) and boom smooth as silk and the noise at like 15 mph gone too,,see I have owned several cb7's and when you buy parts at advance that have a lifetime replacement keep those receipts! I have pretty much the entire front end covered on my accord ,,well peace guys I think this site is kick ass and all of you who have accords the next time you are cruisin in it just drop the hammer on it when you are doing like 60-70 mph and watch these wicked cars howl at you and take off ,,peace all.

Comment

Originally posted by killer76 View Post
                        I found the problem removed the cv shaft and the inner joint dropped like a wet noodle a quick flash of my honda wizard hands and it was swapped out in about 20 min at advance auto and hit the road got the old girl up to 70(well I would say 265,000 plus miles should be somewhat old ) and boom smooth as silk and the noise at like 15 mph gone too,,see I have owned several cb7's and when you buy parts at advance that have a lifetime replacement keep those receipts! I have pretty much the entire front end covered on my accord ,,well peace guys I think this site is kick ass and all of you who have accords the next time you are cruisin in it just drop the hammer on it when you are doing like 60-70 mph and watch these wicked cars howl at you and take off ,,peace all.
                        Glad it was a simple fix! Congratulations on the *free* parts replacement! Yeah I keep all the car receipts (with a note scribbled on them as to what part it is for easy reference in the future) in a folder in my filing cabinet. Haven't been able to cash in on a replacement part yet but even still it has alrelady come in handy for returning stuff I didn't need or loaner tools.

Comment

Dude that is awesome!!!! and in the parking lot... my man. how much did you save from keeping that receipt?
                          AD5OS
                          FOLDING@home

Comment

Chillin

I actually saved about $60 bucks and it is all good ,,now I just need to do the timing belt on her and she has need of a few seals under the front engine cover (cam ,crank,etc),all in good time also some rust removal ,,a full bodykit a top of the line f22a built by the N/A wizard Bisi and a whole bunch of wishlist goodies,,well enough dreaming of being rich in Illinois,, peace guys

Comment

Working...
                            X