Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Cooling Fan Push or Pull

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooling Fan Push or Pull

Finally got my 92 Accord w/h22a1 running right, but I just found out that both fans are dead. I hooked them up straight to the battery and nothing. So I'm looking at getting 2 slim fans (maybe 12") but I saw that they can be wired to either push or pull. I don't know whether I want them to push or pull, so if someone can help me out, that would be great. Tried searching through different threads and couldn't find the answer. Thanks everyone...

They should pull air from outside the car through the radiator into the engine compartment.

Comment

Originally posted by visualpoet View Post
      They should pull air from outside the car through the radiator into the engine compartment.

if they pushed they would pour engine heat into the radiator canceling the purpose!

smoke tires, not drugs.

Comment

from my point of view

you want to know whats better?
        to mount the fans behind the rad(pull)
        or to mount the before the rad (push)

if you can get them behind, go ahead (clean look), be careful on the type of fan you choose just because is a slim fan does and doesnt mean is better
        look at the fans CFM b4 buying

also dont have them running all the time, you'll over spin them after 50mph
        Originally posted by deevergote
        Just do what PR CB7 said.

"I'm Going For Wood" (Clickey Clickey)

Comment

Originally posted by PR CB7 View Post
          from my point of view

you want to know whats better?
          to mount the fans behind the rad(pull)
          or to mount the before the rad (push)

if you can get them behind, go ahead (clean look), be careful on the type of fan you choose just because is a slim fan does and doesnt mean is better
          look at the fans CFM b4 buying

also dont have them running all the time, you'll over spin them after 50mph
          yeah, i forgot to tell you that lol.

id hook one up like the oem one is, and one on a switch so if needed you can turn it on or off.

smoke tires, not drugs.

Comment

if you mount the fan on the inside [stock location ]it`s pulling ..if you mount it behind the grill on the radiator it`s pushing .. hope this helps...i like the stock location if you have the room
            Last edited by Teddy; 12-26-2009, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Teddy View Post
              if you mount the fan on the inside [stock location ]it`s pulling ..if you mount it behind the grill on the radiator it`s pushing .. hope this helps...i like the stock location if you have the room
              It doesn't matter where you mount them, it's which polarity you wire the motor that decides whether it pushes or pulls.

Comment

Originally posted by visualpoet View Post
                It doesn't matter where you mount them, it's which polarity you wire the motor that decides whether it pushes or pulls.
                it depends on the way the wings are on the actual fan

a fan that used for pulling air, if you invert polarities it might push air an a 360 degree all around the base instead of forward

Comment

it depends on the way the wings are on the actual fan

a fan that used for pulling air, if you invert polarities it might push air an a 360 degree all around the base instead of forward
                  WHAT? It's a fan, if you spin it one way, it pulls, if you spin it the other way it pushes. That's why ceiling fans have a reverse switch.

Comment

that type of fan is only good for pulling, it sucks on reverse polarity
                    unlike an OEM one

Comment

Ok, got it fellas. Thanks for everyones input! Now I know what to look for.

Comment

that type of fan is only good for pulling, it sucks on reverse polarity
                        unlike an OEM one
                        How do you figure? I've been doing HVAC for over 7 years, and I've never seen a fan that worked less efficiently in one direction. Those blades move just as much air either way they cut through it. I'd have to see it for myself before I'd believe it.
                        Now, if the motor isn't designed to run as efficiently with the polarity reversed, I could maybe see it, but the fans the OP was asking about are designed to run either way, hence the question about wiring them to push or pull.

Comment

i tested w a digital temp gauge,

the same fan as you see in the picture

in a pulling position it took 1.45 seconds to shut off (OEM FAN SWITCH)
                          in a pushing position it took 2.94 seconds to shut off
                          wo no condenser fan pushing again 2.80 seconds to shut of

OEM fan, OEM location took 1.20 seconds

maybe i tested it wrong, but thats what i base my results with

Comment

Woah, its getting pretty technical in here. lol.. One more question.. I have an aftermarket aluminum radiator, but not one of the racing ones like Koyo or Mushimoto, mine has the plastic end tanks. My question is, are 2 small fans completely necessary or will 1 big one suffice and how much CFM should I look for if I go with 1 or 2? This car, is going to be a daily driver and visit the track only a couple times a year.

Comment

Originally posted by NinJa_FLiP View Post
                              Woah, its getting pretty technical in here. lol.. One more question.. I have an aftermarket aluminum radiator, but not one of the racing ones like Koyo or Mushimoto, mine has the plastic end tanks. My question is, are 2 small fans completely necessary or will 1 big one suffice and how much CFM should I look for if I go with 1 or 2? This car, is going to be a daily driver and visit the track only a couple times a year.
                              just get the stock OEM one and leave it, condenser fans is....... well for the condenser

still 2 small fans should suffice, fans, bigger rad, ETC your thermostat is what controls your temp, and fans are mainly for idling or standing still, once you get rolling they'll shut off

Comment

Working...
                              X