Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Another H22 Head Question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another H22 Head Question...

Currently building an F22 ground up for boost. I've decided to run with an H22 head. Will any H22 head swap onto a CB7 F22 block? What should I know? I know I'm being very broad but I want to know what others have done. So far what I've read are mainly full H22 motor swaps, I'm only interested in doing a head swap because I have my block ready to go... Thanks!

search g32
    2013 Ice Cream Cruise!
    VIDEO: 2012 Ice Cream Cruise
    VIDEO: 2012 Ice Cream Cruise part 2
    The single largest cruise in the Midwest!
    August 3 ~ Omaha, NE

By 1320 Video

Member's Ride Thread

Comment

Originally posted by theSOB View Post
      search g32
      What will he find. Nothing.

There is no point in running the H22 head on an F22 block. Do some port work on the F22A head, and it is capable of outflowing even a modified H22 head. The H22 head on the F22 block will produce numerous reliability issues (at least that's what I've seen in the past). If this car is anything but a project toy, don't risk this headswap. There are no significant gains to be had by swapping over an H22 head.

Search posts by wikkedv16, search "frankenstein", and search "G22" (which is an absolutely idiotic term, as this swap does not create a "G" series engine... but it's a common term anyway)

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
        What will he find. Nothing.

There is no point in running the H22 head on an F22 block. Do some port work on the F22A head, and it is capable of outflowing even a modified H22 head. The H22 head on the F22 block will produce numerous reliability issues (at least that's what I've seen in the past). If this car is anything but a project toy, don't risk this headswap. There are no significant gains to be had by swapping over an H22 head.

Search posts by wikkedv16, search "frankenstein", and search "G22" (which is an absolutely idiotic term, as this swap does not create a "G" series engine... but it's a common term anyway)
        Thanks for that info. I've been told otherwise by a few different mechanics, they've told me the exact opposite The DOHC will out flow the SOHC all day when tuned right. Do you have any flow charts showing the flow of either set up?

Comment

Modified, the F22A head will outflow the H22A head, stock or otherwise. This is the reason why Bisi Ezerioha runs the F22A in his record breaking Insight drag car.

I've learned one thing about mechanics... they may know how to make a car run, but not all of them acutally understand performance. Everyone assumes DOHC is better. Everyone assumes VTEC is better. Nobody takes into consideration the valve angles (which are nearly ideal for the F22A, not so for the H22A). Nobody takes into consideration pord design (the F22A's design is significantly better than the H22A's). Nobody takes valvetrain mass into consideration (the VTEC valvetrain is considerably heavier).

The F22A head flows better. Have it ported and polished. The exhaust ports are restrictive in stock form, but they can be opened up easily.

Additionally, the H22A head on the F22A bottom end tends to produce reliability issues. I've seen such combinations fail even in the hands of experienced people.

Comment

If you REALLY insist on an H22/F22 frank, talk to LoDollar92LX.
            Originally posted by sweet91accord
            if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

He's one of the few that has managed to make it work for any significant amount of time.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                Modified, the F22A head will outflow the H22A head, stock or otherwise. This is the reason why Bisi Ezerioha runs the F22A in his record breaking Insight drag car.

I've learned one thing about mechanics... they may know how to make a car run, but not all of them acutally understand performance. Everyone assumes DOHC is better. Everyone assumes VTEC is better. Nobody takes into consideration the valve angles (which are nearly ideal for the F22A, not so for the H22A). Nobody takes into consideration pord design (the F22A's design is significantly better than the H22A's). Nobody takes valvetrain mass into consideration (the VTEC valvetrain is considerably heavier).

The F22A head flows better. Have it ported and polished. The exhaust ports are restrictive in stock form, but they can be opened up easily.

Additionally, the H22A head on the F22A bottom end tends to produce reliability issues. I've seen such combinations fail even in the hands of experienced people.
                Sounds like you know what you're talking about. I'm not insisting on anything, just gathering as much info before I commit to a head. I'm boring and guarding my block in the next 3 weeks so I'm researching now. What setup do you have? I know the H22 swap will be a nightmare with tuning and all so I'm leaning more and more towards the F22 head and port polish etc. My goal is to have a 350+- BHP car that isn't in too much danger of blowing up.

Comment

You'd be better off installing some lower-compression Mahle Gold Series pistons in a full H22 block, and having it carefully dyno tuned by someone that knows what they're doing. A frankenstein build is inviting reliability issues.

A block guards is a very bad idea. They tend to warp cylinder walls.

Personally, I have an H22 that I haven't driven for a year and a half. Nearly stock. All my time and money goes into this site.

Comment

I agree with deev on this one also. I've worked on a few h22's and a few h23's and noticed that they are just not as beefy as I would like. The h23 has a problem of cracking that pushes oil into your coolant jacket, and the h22 is just HUGE and heavy. A lot of people say that if you loose vtec your not going to be able to rev. Well the only thing that lets the h22 rev so high is that it comes with duel springs stock. The f22 is just a single spring on the valve train. If your going to want to rev (which i assume you will because your using a turbo) than your going to want to upgrade your valve train to a double (if not a triple) spring set up, with some sodium filled (or better) valves. Upgrade your valve guides as well. Do some research on building up a head. Having a built up head will be less of a "head" ache in the end. Bottom end work is important but so is top end.

anywho, glad to hear that you have time to research all this before you build. Hope your build goes well.
                    WTB:
                    88-01 prelude 2.0si (3g) si (4g,5g)
                    OR
                    90-93 Accord.

Has to be 5spd, has to be CHEAP. SUPER CHEAP. Will be in Indiana in February permanently and want a project car when I get settled in.

Comment

F22A head outflows even the B18C5 Integra Type-R head.
                      1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

how does a block guard warp cylinder walls?
                        I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

I just remembered, if you don't have the f22a6 manifold (or h23) than it would be good to have that too.
                          WTB:
                          88-01 prelude 2.0si (3g) si (4g,5g)
                          OR
                          90-93 Accord.

Has to be 5spd, has to be CHEAP. SUPER CHEAP. Will be in Indiana in February permanently and want a project car when I get settled in.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                            how does a block guard warp cylinder walls?
                            would like to know this as well

SOLD!!
                            Boosted H22
                            375whp 298 ft/lbs at 15psi

MEMBERS RIDE THREAD<<<CLICK FOR VIDS AND COOL PICS

Comment

Originally posted by mozzandherb View Post
                              would like to know this as well
                              yea, if you install them and then bore/hone there shouldnt be any issues as long as there was enough press fit.
                              I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Working...
                              X