Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

A/C Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A/C Repair

The A/C is broken
    When i turn the fan on this smell follows immediately
    What do i do??

Is it broken, or does it just smell?
    If its broken - whats not working?
    What does the smell, smell like?

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

yes...need some more info on this...same as above...what isn't working...is the air cool...cold...or hot?
      "I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think I can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy." --President John F. Kennedy

ASE Master Automotive Technician
      ASE Master Med/Heavy Truck Technician
      US Navy Electrician
      Contact me if you need help on the side.
      '92 Accord DX (For Sale)
      '01 Civic LX
      '00 Tahoe

Greatest Rally Video Ever

Comment

The fan works and blows out cold air.
        When i press the ac button nothin happens.
        The smell is like maybe a moldy smell??

Comment

So it blows out cold air, but the A/C button doesnt do anything? Is the air coming out of the vents cold due to the ambient air temperature being cold, or does the ventilation system actually cool the air at all? Are you sure that the A/C does not work at all?

The moldy smell is most likely from mold and mildew forming on the evaporator within your ventilation unit. The evaporator gets cold during A/C use, which attracts moisture (like how a cold can of soda starts to get wet on the outside on a hot humid day) and can cause mold and mildew, especially if the water drain underneath the evaporator is clogged up. They sell "fogger" kits for A/C systems that you can run though the ventilation that will clean and freshen things up. The only other option would be to take apart the ventilation system to physically clean or replace the evaporator.

Also another smell, would be a "sweet" odor, which is coolant. You would smell that if your heater core had a leak, allowing coolant to evaporate into your ventilation.

You (or someone else) will need to distinguish between these smells to make an accurate diagnosis of your problem with the smells. Good luck!
          Last edited by ON_N20; 04-02-2010, 12:03 AM.
          ON_N20
          Nitrous = Been there. Turbo = Now. Nitrous + Turbo?... LOADING

Comment

How do i get to the AC stuff and maybe clean it out??

Comment

Originally posted by DVS143 View Post
              How do i get to the AC stuff and maybe clean it out??
              Well if by "getting to the A/C stuff", you mean getting to the evaporator which is probably the source of your smells, its quite an involved process. The entire dashboard will have to be removed (including all the smaller components like your radio, switches, gauge cluster, etc). Once the dashboard is out of the way you can see the whole HVAC (heating, ventilation, A/C) unit on the passenger side of the car. It can be removed, but its kind of a big pain in the ass. If your planning on actually removing (or replacing) the evaporator, you will also need someone to recover and recharge your A/C refrigerant- don't just vent it to the atmosphere its against the law, bad for the enviornment, and refrigerant is expensive.

I would try the A/C fogger idea first since its simpler and cheaper. If that doesn't work, then you can tear into the dash, if you feel up to it. Good luck!
              ON_N20
              Nitrous = Been there. Turbo = Now. Nitrous + Turbo?... LOADING

Comment

The entire dashboard will have to be removed (including all the smaller components like your radio, switches, gauge cluster, etc).
                ^^ Thats actually not true, I replaced my evaporator recently and I just had to take out the glove box completely and the evaporator sits right behind it.

Just two hoses go to it, so its pretty simple to disconnect, keep in mind that if u still have gas in the lines it could be dangerous so bleed the ac system first..

Good Luck..
                My ride

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=154423

Comment

take you're car to a shop, and ask them to blow out your a/c drain. Any shop that does A/C work will know what you're talking about. all they have to do is raise the car on a lift and back flush the drain with air, it'll free whatever's clogging it, and allow it to drain. my shop does it for free, b/c it takes about 30 seconds to do...
                  91 EX Coupe 5 Speed
                  My Ride Thread

ASE Certified Master Tech Since 2005

Originally posted by deevergote
                  That's like watching a guy stick his head up his own ass. Impressive... but why?
                  Bought From: Quakerjoe , MikeW

Comment

Working...
                  X