Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

timing chain conversion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

timing chain conversion?

on newer cars now they have a chain instead of a belt. would there be any possibility of converting our cbs to use a timing chain instead of a belt? or would i have to drop in a new engine all together?

I was just talking to someone about this yesterday....wondering if it is possible or not.
    91 LX Under Construction. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...00#post2017900

Comment

Doing the timing belt isnt that hard to do every 90k
      wat?

Comment

I get that its easy but i just wanted to know if anyone else has thought about this and if its possible. it would be nice to not have to change it at all. making the car run longer saving money for other engine problems if any.

Comment

You could, but you'd have to custom machine a crank gear, cam gear, and water pump drive. Also, if you want to retain the balance shaft, you'd have to machine gears for those, as well. Then you'd have to figure out where to bolt up a tensioner for the chain.
          Originally posted by sweet91accord
          if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by blueplanet View Post
            I get that its easy but i just wanted to know if anyone else has thought about this and if its possible. it would be nice to not have to change it at all. making the car run longer saving money for other engine problems if any.
            Anythings possible, just need to fab up some sprockets, a tensioner set, and a way to seal the assembly in an oil supplied environment. Timing chains and moreso camchain tensioners do indeed wear and fail. The only problem is there is no scheduled maint on a cam chain or its components until some sort of failure occurs. (typically shown by cold start rattling) I'm currently doing a camchain and head replacement on my sister's car due to tensioner failure at 100k miles. Spend your time and energy on something more worthwhile.

Comment

Originally posted by blueplanet View Post
              on newer cars now they have a chain instead of a belt. would there be any possibility of converting our cbs to use a timing chain instead of a belt? or would i have to drop in a new engine all together?
              Swap in a K24.
              Why do you want to go chain anyway?

You could do it if you have a few grand to spare, for a mod that really has no benefit to the applied engine.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Belts stretch, slip, and snap much more frequently than chains, so I suppose that's the resoning.

But the amount of money and custom work that it would take to do such a conversion would very likely be significantly greater than simply swapping in an engine with a chain.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                  Belts stretch, slip, and snap much more frequently than chains, so I suppose that's the resoning.

But the amount of money and custom work that it would take to do such a conversion would very likely be significantly greater than simply swapping in an engine with a chain.
                  x2. Doesn't seem worth the trouble and money at all.
                  1994 Honda Accord SiR Sports Sedan

“When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my religion.” - Abraham Lincoln
                  CD5Tuner - A Fifth Generation Accord Community
                  PS3 tag: Mechtroop

Comment

Originally posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
                    Swap in a K24.
                    Why do you want to go chain anyway?

You could do it if you have a few grand to spare, for a mod that really has no benefit to the applied engine.
                    I agree, easier to swap this engine in with mounts from Hasport.

If you want to save money on F22ax timing belt jobs and make it easier do the following:

- remove cruise control
                    - remove P/S and A/C
                    - remove balance shaft belt

- replace water pump every 200K miles
                    - replace timing belt every 100K miles
                    - replace timing belt tensioner pulley every 200K miles

- replace front engine seals only when leaking
                    - replace valve cover gasket kit
                    - do check/adjust valve lash while in there

This will provide easy access and minimize parts that need to be replaced with new. Timing belts are like $40, water pump $45, valve cover gasket kit $25.
                    HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Chain driven timing is nothing new. No advantage as far as I see. All the ones I've ever encountered are subject to wear and stretching just like a belt. You might even argue that the sprockets also wear and will need to be replaced to match the new chain. They might make it longer between changes but the cost and labor to change are just doubled (or tripled) when it is time.
                      93 EX Arcadia Coupe, 5spd, f22a6, strut bars, 2"drop, baer brakes, ingalls camber kit, tokicos w/ eibach, K&N, 205s / 16s

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                        Chains stretch more than most people realize.
                        Since the hydraulic tensioner keeps taking up the slack, it's never noticed.
                        Once it starts stretching the potential for jumping teeth increases dramatically.

At least a belt can easily be checked, whereas a chain doesn't get checked until it jumps a tooth or breaks.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

It would not be possible to convert to a chain on these motors. Timing chain motors use a hydrolic tensioner. It runs off oil pressure and keeps constant tension on the chain. No way to use that here. Also keep in mind that even the k series has known problems with there tensioners not keeping proper tension on the chain. That's why companys like spoon make upgrades.

One other problem is that unlike a timing belt where you can have a smooth pulley like the tensioner on the f motor uses, a chain can't use a smooth pulley like that so you'd have to use 2 chains and a hydrolic tensioner on each one.
                          1 chain on crank to cam and 1 chain on crank to waterpump.

Comment

we should keep belts because when they break, they keep machinists like me in business.
                            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Working...
                            X