Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Timing belt replacement problem\tensioners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing belt replacement problem\tensioners

Hi to everyone, my first post. I am doing my first TB replacement. The car is a 1992 Accord EX 5-Spd F22A6. I have new tensioners to replace the old ones and I can't get the tensioner nut loose. I am turning it counter-clockwise but it will not budge. Does it turn clockwise? I've read most of the threads on TB replacement and the DIY. I am in the middle of this TB job right now
    I have experience working on and hot rodding Mo Par's since the mid 70's. This is my first Import car to do some performance work on. I've owned Imports in the past but never worked on them. I've had the car right at 5 months. Been doing preventive maintenance since I got the car, to give myself a baseline to know what needs to be done and when. The important thing to me in a car is that it is SAFE and then reliable. I must do this before any modification. I have learned a lot from this web site...with hours of reading threads.
    I have some ideas of what I want to do all learned about here.
    THANK YOU in advance for any help and Ideas I'm going to wash my hands and eat the wife made dinner. Be well

Old dog 61

Yep counterclockwise is correct.
    Often they are tight (and round off easily) Get a single hex spanner on it if you can with an extension.
    Otherwise just be careful if your using a 12point spanner.

Worst case scenario you will have to chisel it off, in which case you will need to get a new nut

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

hi, welcome to the site, the nut you are trying to remove is very tight it loosnes counterclockwise i recomend you use a 6 point wrench or a 6 point socket with a long 3/8 ratchet , whatever you do dont strip it ......

Comment

Nut was messed to begin with don't know what it was attacked with.... I have been using Vise grips the only thing I could think of because of it being round and in such tight area. Using a chisel sounds like... that would suck, I was thinking of a dremel tool and a cut off wheel to split the nut.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Dog 61 View Post
          Nut was messed to begin with don't know what it was attacked with.... I have been using Vise grips the only thing I could think of because of it being round and in such tight area. Using a chisel sounds like... that would suck, I was thinking of a dremel tool and a cut off wheel to split the nut.
          Do which ever is easier for you.
          If it's already stripped, cut it off and throw it away then order a new one.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

If you can go to a place like Sears or somewhere sells tools may have a set of sockets with spiral cut in them to loosen buggered up bolts and nuts. I can not recall name of it at the moment.
            A&P-IA

Comment

I had the same issue but i rounded the bolt head

http://www.amazon.com/Irwin-Industri.../dp/B0000CCXVZ

if you rounded it use this tool. This helped me everytime.

Try using pipe also to get some leverage

Comment

Wow Great Ideas, never thought about those. It's like an easy out except for nuts instead of broken bolts. I looked at Sears to get a 14 mm 6Pt. wrench for future use, I'll go back to their web site and see what Sears calls their tool to get messed up bolts off. With the right wrench I can go to the salvage and get a tensioner nut instead of having to order it. My vehicle is a daily driver, so I need to try and have it done Monday.
                Went to Sears web site they have:
                Hanson (HAN394002) 5 Piece BOLT-GRIP Bolt Extractor Expansion Set $29.63
                I'll got to my local store and pick it up! Thanks.

Update on price:
                XcluziveANZ is right I just checked Home depot's web site
                Irwin Bolt-Grip Fastener Remover 5-Piece
                Model # 394001
                Store SKU # 437724
                $19.88
                Thanks XcluziveANZ I'll be getting it there!
                Way cheaper than Sears
                Last edited by Old Dog 61; 12-11-2010, 11:25 PM.

Comment

try homedepot that is where i bought the kit

Comment

you can also try a small size pipe wrench to grip the rounded nut it will bite better than a vicegrip and you will get more leverage....

Comment

I got the nut off using a little bit from everyone. The young man that convinced me to sell my 360 Dakota to buy a CB7 gave me the nut he has extra parts lying around...that was cool of him. Finished the TB job and took it out for a test drive about an hour ago all is well runs great!
                      However found a new problem my rack seems to be leaking, now to start studying up on that so I can replace it.Thanks again to all, be well.

Comment

Lucas PS stop leak did work on my car. I have not seen a leak for two years now.
                        A&P-IA

Comment

Working...
                        X