Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

1993 Honda Accord EX Steering Wheels Shaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1993 Honda Accord EX Steering Wheels Shaking

I just wanted some input from you guys with an issue I am having with my car. My steering wheel has been shaking for a few days now. I kind of figured it might have been the snow recently throwing the tires off balance but I don't think it was that because there was no snow in my rim and there is none on the road.

This steering wheel shaking came on somewhat gradually. It comes from the right, and it shakes at all speeds pretty much. I have filled all tire pressures at the correct psi. When I fill the tires up with air the shaking goes away a little bit.

Does anybody know what's going on? I don't hot rod the car at all so I am hoping it isn't ball joints.
    Last edited by Felony; 01-22-2011, 10:39 PM. Reason: Update

Snow in the wheel would definitely do it, but if it's clear of snow (which was smart to check...) then you're looking at other issues.

Balance is the most likely cause. Try rotating your tires, and see if that changes anything. That would tell you if it's in the wheels. Also, you'll be able to really inspect your tires in the process. Look up the various types of tire wear (you should be able to find good diagrams online.) If the tires are worn improperly, then you could be looking at an alignment issue.

Ball joints are unlikely... as they usually don't fail gradually. They work, or they separate and you crash. However, inspect the boots, and replace any joints with broken boots!

Blown shocks could cause shaking, though I don't know if it would be very evident in the steering wheel. However, it's something to check, and replace if necessary.

Bad tie rods could potentially be a problem.

Bottom like... wheel balance is most likely, alignment and tire wear are next in line.

Comment

Bad axles could also give you a vibration. My old accord vibrated because of a bad joint on the axle. I balanced all the wheels myself perfectly and it still vibrated. Then i got it inspected by a good freind and he noticed my axles were going bad. The boots hadent failed yet so i just drove it with the vibration.

Comment

Mine shakes when im at a full stop rear motor mount is broken. but if yours isnt its goonna be a steering or suspension component issue. or like they said unbalanced tires. warped rotors(you feel the brake pedal vibrating on your foot)
        Steering whe (most common outer tie rods but check inners since they have a boot not many people check those)
        http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=171625

Comment

If it's shaking at all speeds including slow, I would say it's not a balance issue, thoses are mostly felt at highway speeds.

I would be looking for shifted belts, looks like this.........

Unless your feeling it when braking only.

MRT - http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=172713

1993 Accord Ex

Comment

how bad are the threads on your tire? i had steering wheel shake on my accord and my prelude si before.at first i thought it mite be my upper control arm joint was shot..till i inspected my tires,what i found out that my tire has a bump on threaded section of the tire.looked like a defected tire..

Comment

Tires don't have threads.

I overlooked that "at all speeds" in the initial description. Monza is most likely right... it is more than likely a tire issue. Shifted belts, cupping, etc...
              I'm not sure if a failing tie rod would cause shaking, but excessive play there would most likely be felt in the wheel as well.

But yes, if it's balance, you won't really feel it at lower speeds. If you do, then that would be some REALLY bad wheel balance!

Comment

could've lost a wheel weight?
                Originally posted by deevergote
                These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

my steering wheel shakes like hell at idle i think its because my engine mounts are bad but when i drive it goes away or when its at a higher rpm than 1k. I notice when i first start it up its at 1500k it idles fine then after its warmed up it drip to 1k then the steering wheel shakes idk help???
                  HELLAFLUSH 4 Me Coming Soon In Spring 2012

Comment

Originally posted by jdmCB907 View Post
                    my steering wheel shakes like hell at idle i think its because my engine mounts are bad but when i drive it goes away or when its at a higher rpm than 1k. I notice when i first start it up its at 1500k it idles fine then after its warmed up it drip to 1k then the steering wheel shakes idk help???
                    Mine does too. Go make your own thread.
                    Also, grab your steering wheel. It'll make it stop shaking, but it'll transfer the vibrations to your car!
                    MRT
                    37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
                    30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
                    27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
                    Originally posted by Tippey764
                    I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
                    Originally posted by deevergote
                    sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Originally posted by jdmCB907 View Post
                      From what I've read all of our cars have a bit of a shake in the steering wheel at idle after it's warmed up.

Unless it's shaking the crap out of your dash I wouldn't be too worried about it.

MRT - http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=172713

1993 Accord Ex

Comment

The shake is due to the motor mounts going bad. Very often, cars with automatic transmissions will experience the shake worse than cars with manual transmissions.
                        However, this has NOTHING to do with the topic at hand. Please keep this thread on topic.

mtnbikaah, if it was a missing wheel weight, it wouldn't really be noticeable at low speeds... though that would be the easiest way for a wheel to come unbalanced.
                        I think Monza most likely has it right, with the idea of a damaged or improperly worn tire.

Comment

Yeah, the wheel shakes at all speeds. It kind of feels like the steering wheel is pulling to the right. I don't know how to explain the pulling but it pulls like every split second and it kind of looks like I can see the car pulling to the right every time the wheel shakes. The shaking usually happens when the car is warmed up and has been driven for a bit...I also know the right front tire is different than the rest of the tires.

I just want to know whats going on so I don't waste my money on something I don't need ha.

Comment

Originally posted by Monza View Post
                            If it's shaking at all speeds including slow, I would say it's not a balance issue, thoses are mostly felt at highway speeds.

I would be looking for shifted belts, looks like this.........

Unless your feeling it when braking only.
                            Sorry for the double post, I feel the shaking even when I press the break.

Comment

Use the "edit" button, rather than posting twice.

Take your tires off and inspect them. Put the front ones in back, and the back ones in front. See if there's a difference. If so, then you'll know for sure that the shaking is due to the tires or wheels.

Comment

Working...
                              X