Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Car sputtering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car sputtering

I have a 92 ex.. With the f22a6 engine.. And for some odd reason the engine seems to sputter at low rpm's... The only way to get rid of the sputtering is by pushing the gas pedal all the way down.. Anyone know why it does this??? I'm open to anything you guys have

Is your check engine light on?

Comment

No..

Comment

Does the check engine light work?
        What RPM range does it sputter?

Comment

By sputter do you mean shake? When the rpms fall really low the car will vibrate as each piston fires.
          MRT
          37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
          30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
          27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
          Originally posted by Tippey764
          I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
          Originally posted by deevergote
          sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Have you checked your timing?

MRT - http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=172713

1993 Accord Ex

Comment

Take off your intake air pipe to verify the Idle Air Control Valve (IACV) is unblocked. While cold and the motor is going through its fast-idle sequence, cover the bypass holes individually and one at a time, you should get a change in idle speed and or stalling. Once warm, one of the passages should stop drawing air, the other still free is the IACV. Cover the IACV to see if there is a significant change in idle or stalling. You want to compare the flow of the IACV while warm to that of the Fast Idle Thermo Valve when motor is cold.

Check for correct resistance across both primary and secondary ignition coil windings.

Be sure your Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor is reading correctly under controlled conditions, bad temp data can fool the ECU when switching from Closed-Loop to Open-Loop.

Make sure the Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve is free and operational.

It sounds like motor is starved of air under low to no throttle conditions.
              Last edited by James Matteu; 01-24-2011, 10:21 PM.
              1997 Honda Accord EX-V6:
              C27A4 - 2.7-liter 90º-V6 with SOHC, 24-valves, PGM-Fi
              MPZA - Electronically controlled 4-speed automatic, 1 reverse
              ~170 cu. in. / ~170 ft. lbs. / ~170 whp

Originally posted by James Matteu
              You have to consider the results of your test in an objective manner, or as the country folk like to say, "son, you gotta be smarter than what you're workin' with."

Comment

It's entirely possible he's used to driving cars with larger engines. I've had people complain to me saying "my car doesn't want to move when the RPMs are around 1000!" It's not a V8!

The best thing to do is 1) figure out if the car is exhibiting any signs of trouble (which is why I asked about the CEL first, and then again to make sure that the light actually works...) and 2) figure out exactly what the OP is observing, and what he considers to be poor performance.

Until we know what we're dealing with, it's useless to start naming parts to adjust or replace. Every part he touches may introduce a new problem, if it's not the part that requires attention in this situation!

Comment

Alot of possibilities, EGR service ports maybe? EGR is active starting @ 1800 rpm, cruising. To add to J. Matteu's post, IACV t/b port is the top, FITV is on the bottom.

Comment

The CEL light came on yesterday and the sputtering stopped... But this morning I turned it back on and the CEL light was off and it started doing it again.... Before winter the car was fine... I've had this occur in the summer but it went away in the fall

Comment

The RPM's that it starts to do it is between 2000 and 4000

Comment

Originally posted by Brianerstad5 View Post
                        The CEL light came on yesterday and the sputtering stopped... But this morning I turned it back on and the CEL light was off and it started doing it again.... Before winter the car was fine... I've had this occur in the summer but it went away in the fall

Go pull the codes and tell us what they say!
                        It tells you how in the stickies
                        MRT
                        37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
                        30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
                        27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
                        Originally posted by Tippey764
                        I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
                        Originally posted by deevergote
                        sneaky motherfucker

Comment

ive had code 43 come on and off like that. o2 sensor was the problem. just replace that and see what happens. its a good thing to replace anyway. denso or ntk. no bosch.

Comment

Or could it possibly be a vacuum leak???

Comment

My car sputtered and loss power so bad.. a bike went faster. I truly thought it was a transmission problem. Maybe all that guessing on above posts. Believe it or not I replaced the plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotors, gaskets and oil change. NO shit! The car ran like a bullet! So I did the coupe cause it ran bad too...shit had no bottoms on the plugs...? the part where you gap it was GONE on all four! So get a tune up and then see if it still shakes. Eliminate the easy to the hard.

Old wagon - Silver '92 LX Wagon - Steve (Shadow)- STOLEN ON LABOR DAY 2012
                              New wagon- White '92 LX Wagon on 1/3/13 (Frostbite)

2000 EX Coupe - Joe -

www.AccordWagonClub.com
                              My Facebook Site - ACCORDOBSESSION

Comment

Working...
                              X