Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

'93 Transmission Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'93 Transmission Problem

Hey all,

About nine months ago my '93 Accord started giving me the flashing D4. I went to one of the local shops to get the code read and the mechanic there told me it was most likely a TCU, but could be the transmission itself, going along with everything I've read over the Internet about the problem.

After pulling a TCU from a junked '92 Accord (didn't change anything), I finally bought a refurbished TCU in the case of the '92 having the same problem. Flash forward about a month and a half and the trouble code has gone away, but the transmission isn't shifting properly into 3rd. It will stay in 2nd until 5500 rpm before "slipping" into 3rd, not shifting hard like it does for the rest of the gears.

I realize it probably is the transmission, but I thought I'd ask on here just in case any of you have had similar problems, etc.

Could the sevens months of driving in limp mode have affected the transmission? The D4 wasn't constantly flashing during the time, but I'd say I logged quite a few hours of driving without second gear in limp mode.

Thanks in advance. Sorry for the long read.

Originally posted by bhizzy View Post
    Hey all,

About nine months ago my '93 Accord started giving me the flashing D4. I went to one of the local shops to get the code read and the mechanic there told me it was most likely a TCU, but could be the transmission itself, going along with everything I've read over the Internet about the problem.

After pulling a TCU from a junked '92 Accord (didn't change anything), I finally bought a refurbished TCU in the case of the '92 having the same problem. Flash forward about a month and a half and the trouble code has gone away, but the transmission isn't shifting properly into 3rd. It will stay in 2nd until 5500 rpm before "slipping" into 3rd, not shifting hard like it does for the rest of the gears.

I realize it probably is the transmission, but I thought I'd ask on here just in case any of you have had similar problems, etc.

Could the sevens months of driving in limp mode have affected the transmission? The D4 wasn't constantly flashing during the time, but I'd say I logged quite a few hours of driving without second gear in limp mode.

Thanks in advance. Sorry for the long read.
    I know a bad Vehicle Speed Sensor can throw off shifting, but I'm guessing your speedometer is working fine? Another thing to look into could be shifting solenoids.

Comment

So you went to get the code read, and the mechanic just said it was the TCU? What a fucking moron! The mechanic, I mean... You have the right idea!

Anyway, you don't need some dumb-shit mechanic to read your code. A D4 light is indicating an error code for sure, but rarely does it mean the TCU is bad. Usually, it means that the TCU is doing exactly what it SHOULD be doing... telling you that there's a problem, and giving you a code to identify that problem!

If your transmission was shifting from 1st to 3rd for a considerable amount of time, I would certainly think that would cause a good deal of strain on the transmission... and 3rd gear being your problem now, I would imagine something has worn out. Had you identified the problem early on by actually reading that code, and not swapping TCUs, you might have fixed it before major damage was done.

Try using your old TCU, if you still have it. See if the code comes back. I've heard stories of codes registering on some TCUs, but not others... but if a code was appearing before, the problem that was causing the code to appear wouldn't have just fixed itself... so that component is still failing, most likely.

Other than that, change your transmission fluid with Honda ATF (ONLY, nothing else! and NO additives!)

If you can't get any codes to appear, and the ATF change doesn't help the problem, then you have 2 options: start replacing parts one by one, such as the shift solenoids, OR simply replace or rebuild that transmission. It does sound like the problem you are experiencing now is an internal mechanical issue, but I'm hardly an expert on automatic CB transmissions. In fact, I've never even driven one.

Comment

Originally posted by JTM View Post
        Another thing to look into could be shifting solenoids.
        X2 on this
        MRT
        37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
        30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
        27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
        Originally posted by Tippey764
        I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
        Originally posted by deevergote
        sneaky motherfucker

Comment

^ X2 . i have purchased a faulty TCU before at the JY .it made me wonder what the problem was . i was so confused i got another tranny. i found a tuner in huntsville AL who re programs and burns TCU's. i weighted out the possibility's and purchased his product . it cleared up the tranny and no problems since .he also claimed to change the shift points inside . IDK, but it seemed to be a change.

A man that keeps looking back can't see whats in front of him.

Comment

The code being thrown by the original TCU was very likely for the shift solenoids. That's a very common one.

And yes, TCUs can be reprogrammed. If you don't have the engine mods needed for a change in your shift points, there's really no reason to do it. If an error code is present, replacing, modifying, etc... the TCU is NOT the way to fix it. This is a sign that the TCU is working correctly! Ignoring it, or trying to blame it on the TCU, is going to result in continued improper operation, and possible damage due to a failing component.
            The flashing D4 (or S light in 90-91 models) indicates an error code. Very rarely does it mean the TCU itself is failing.

Comment

Thank you all for the responses.

After reading about the solenoids, the symptoms sound a lot like what I'm experiencing. I guess I'll start with them and then look at finding a rebuilt tranny somewhere if that doesn't work out. Thanks again.

Edit: Also, we drained and filled the ATF before Christmas and it didn't change anything.
              Last edited by bhizzy; 02-10-2011, 12:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X