Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Gauge install, need help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gauge install, need help!

I need help with gauges. i wanna put in a 3 pillar gauge holder with volts, oil pressure and water temp. ive seen them put in but on a 71' duster 340, but not on a cb7 so im not sure if i can use mech. gauges or do i need electrical 3 wire or whatever if anybody can help me with tips intructions or pics it be a big help! thanks

The below information can be found in my members ride thread (click my sig)

Originally posted by CloudASC View Post

I ordered some Autometer gauges, and I talked with my mechanic and looked at an f22a1 that he had sitting in the back of his shop. On the back of the block there are several plugs, one leading to the oil passage in the block with a M20x1.5 thread pitch, the coolant passage uses an M18x1.0. I have talked to several machine shops already, thats how I was able to get the measurements. The temperature senders that came with the gauges are 1/8" NPT.

What I was thinking is finding a hex bolt (or any wrenchable type) the proper size & threading all the way up to the head of the bolt, then tap it with 1/8" NPT for the temperature sender. Now my problem is, I can't find any M18x1.0 bolts to tap.

Here are some pictures in case you are having a hard time visualizing:

Left M18x1.0 (Coolant)/ Right M20x1.5 (Oil)

Various NPT Adapters

Left M18x1.0 (Coolant)/ Right M20x1.5 (Oil)

Various NPT Adapters

1/8" Tapered NPT Electric Temperature Senders

This how the 1/8" NPT fits into an adapter

Anyone know of a place I can purchase the M18x1.0 bolt? Length is unimportant. Otherwise I am looking at doing the following:

For the M18x1.0 I might just have to tap the plug, and once the original plug goes back in, it will be difficult to get back out, and the sensor will have be "the new plug". The M20x1.5 plug can't be tapped because the wrench hole is too large and the sensor would go too deep if tapped. The M20x1.5 Bolt is easier to aquire and shouldn't be so hard aquire and then tap.

Comparison

Oil Pressure, Water Temp, & Voltage Gauge:

Oil Temp Gauge:

Well I ended up tapping the block plugs for 1/8" NPT. Now I am ready to wire up my gauges. Here are the pictures of the block fittings with the sensors in them:

I already have had these fittings checked for sensor clearance on another f22a1 block and I am good to go. The sensors will be in the block oil & coolant drain plugs on the back of the block; the coolant sensor is right next the #4 sleeve. Oil temp sensor is between #2 & #3 approximately.
    To hook get the oil pressure guage hooked up, I had to have a custom hydrolic hose made with 1/8" NPT connectors on each end, a brass T-Fitting (from home depot), and the oem oil pressure switch & aftermarket sender hooked up to the T. The non-teed end screws into where the factory sender is located, then find a creative way to mount it to the Engine (preferable), or engine compartment.

Here is where I mounted my gauges, the most common place I see for people to mount the 3-gauge set is where the cup holder goes.

I hope that helps, and answers your question!
    Last edited by cloudasc; 09-26-2011, 05:10 PM.
    PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

Oh I forgot to post a couple more pictures to help you out.

Originally posted by CloudASC View Post
      Here are some pictures of the back of the block where those tapped plugs sit for my temperature senders:
      Oil Temp Sensor Located Below the Filter (Below)

Coolant Temp Sensor located farther up the block to the right of the Oil Filter (Below)

Yes I know my oil pan gasket is bad (fixed), part of the reason i aquired the windage tray and oil cooler. If you gotta fix something upgrade!

Also all the oil and coolant you see is just leftover from the sensor install. The filter was removed before the oil drain plug tapped for the sensor was installed. The coolant sensor is right in the water jacket.
      PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

You can use any of them as long as you install them correctly, just make sure to use the same way the fog light wiring goes, so you don't have to drill any holes and will be an easy access if anything needs to be checked or reinstalled.
        Ah, sorry, also you can take the light from the dimmer button, i did tha and no problems, it's easier than taking apart the Speedometer.
        Colombian CB7

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...3A+1992+accord

Comment

Working...
        X