Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Fuel Pump Replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Pump Replacement?

My fuel pump has gone bad and I am gonna replace it but does anyone know if you have to drop the tank to get to the fuel pump or can you get to it from the rear trunk/back seats floor panel?I figured out that the loss of power was because of the faulty pump/bad fuel lines so hoping it will fix the issue and maybe thats why the check engine light keeps coming on and off.

If the check engine light code is coming on, what code is it / did it throw? If its a 43 "fuel supply system" its 95% of the time an oxygen sensor.
    PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

I had to drop the tank in my 93 SE. You can get to the fuel gauge sending unit on the passenger side, but not the fuel pump on the driver's side...

Took me 2 or 3 hours to replace the pump on the street in front of my house.
      Originally posted by Junior Smurff
      Nevermind guys, google search works wonders!

I don't have road rage, my car just goes faster than yours!

Accords are for winners. And Grandmothers. But mostly winners.

I have grown so Tired of Internet Illiteracy. Please learn proper spelling and grammar. For your sake and that of your children.

Comment

Its not the Oxygen sensor because I replaced it,and I cant get a code from the ECU.I had the shop do a diagnostics for cheap and they found the fuel pump was faulty,so Im gonna replace the pump and Fuel sending unit also because my gas gauge isnt working.

Comment

Yes, you have to replace the pump. But just word of advice, Ive had mine fail in several different CB's, and loss of power hasnt been an indication. Car will either shut off on its own while driving, or not turn ON during startup.

'09 Mini Cooper S (R56)

Comment

Originally posted by sunabe2k8 View Post
            does anyone know if you have to drop the tank to get to the fuel pump
            Yes.

Comment

What symptoms point to the fuel pump, exactly? What you're describing COULD be the fuel pump, but it could be plenty of other things as well. Many mechanics know what they're talking about... but some don't. Some are lazy, some are stupid, and some are greedy and will just keep replacing part after part on an old car, raking in the cash.

The FIRST thing to do is get that CEL code. There's something clearly wrong, since that light is on... so pull the code and figure out what it is. NEVER replace parts at random hoping they'll turn the CEL off. The CEL exists to tell you what parts are at fault!

Comment

when I was driving the car died,then I started it up and started to drive off then it just died again and didnt start so I had to tow it home.The car turns over but wont start,I tried to get the code but my ECU is messed up and wont send out a code.I took it to my mechanic and he couldnt get a code either and I took it too AAMCO and they could get a code either,and I could get a code aswell.I knew for a while my Fuel pump was going bad so I have to replace it either way,I bought a new premium fuel pump for 45 bucks so I will replace it anyhow and go from there.

Comment

I trust my mechanic he has done work on a few of my cars before and is straight foward with me,have been going to him for 5yrs so thats not an issue.I also googled the problem and came up with same symptoms being bad fuel pump or fuel relay.He said he checked the fuel relay and then checked fuel lines and found no pressure when he tried to start it.So Im pretty sure its gotta be the fuel pump,I just wondering if there is an easier way than dropping the tank to replace it.

Comment

Well u sound pretty convinced its the pump so there u go. My shit was doing that same shit (just die out of the blue and shit) so you're probably right. But yeah there is no other option than dropping the tank. But its not as hard as it seems, you'll be alright. Just remember to drain the tank before hand lol.

Comment

You could always cut the metal above the fuel pump to avoid dropping the tank... but cutting metal makes sparks, and I personally wouldn't feel comfortable making sparks around my fuel tank!

I would replace that ECU first, though. I've seen MANY fuel pumps get replaced unnecessarily because the owner was SO sure it was the pump. Granted, it's never a bad idea to replace a wear item... but if it's not your problem, why waste the time and money? Especially for a pain in the ass thing like the fuel pump. Rule out other possible causes first. An ECU is much easier to replace than a fuel pump... and a bad ECU would also cause the car not to start, and to shut off unexpectedly.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                        You could always cut the metal above the fuel pump to avoid dropping the tank...
                        Damn thats probably going a little overboard lol. I would only do that if the pump was something that u had to replace often, usually it isn't (atleast not in my experience).
                        Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                        I would replace that ECU first, though. I've seen MANY fuel pumps get replaced unnecessarily because the owner was SO sure it was the pump.
                        Of course that makes a whole lot of sense. But seeing that he's stuck on it being the pump plus his mechanic consigned off on it being the pump not to mention he already bought the pump, I'm pretty sure he's going to replace the pump and not pay any attention to ECU's and shit. But I feel u because the CEL is kind of funky to me, I think that should be addressed (unless its on because of the pump).

Comment

yeah I already got the fuel pump and such so im definatly gonna replace it either way.For the ECU I dont have a new ECU and I dont know how too adjust the new ECU and taking it in to have it readjusted to specs wouldnt be cheap im guessing.So first things first im gonna replace the fuel pump and go from there,thanks for your help on the matter.I have car ramps so I can elevate the car to get to the tank easier to drop it so hopefully it shouldnt be to bad.

Comment

My fuel pump has gone bad and I am gonna replace it but does anyone know if you have to drop the tank to get to the fuel pump or can you get to it from the rear trunk/back seats floor panel?I figured out that the loss of power was because of the faulty pump/bad fuel lines so hoping it will fix the issue and maybe thats why the check engine light keeps coming on and off.
                            For honda's i always turn the key all the way to the start position. Then watch the check engine light disappear and listen for the main relay under the dash to click. Once you hear a click when the CEL goes off on the on position repeat that again by turning your key all the way off and all the way back on. You should hear the fuel pump running if you listen carefully, then a click under the drivers side dash when the CEL turns off.
                            Hybridnation

Comment

For the ECU I dont have a new ECU and I dont know how too adjust the new ECU and taking it in to have it readjusted to specs wouldnt be cheap im guessing.
                              ECU can be found at the JY pretty easily. And there is no adjustment, get one and plug it up and thats it. Unless if you got a swap with a chipped ECU and whatnot then u don't have to adjust anything. Just make sure to get the one for your year make and model.

Comment

Working...
                              X