Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

what kind of chip???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what kind of chip???

i got a po6 and im trying to buy a good chip so anyone got links or suggestions??

You can't just buy any "chip" you have to have the ecu chipped with the specs of your engine, fuel map, etc... then you have to have the car tuned.

Comment

That's half true. You don't have to have a specific chip with certain maps loaded on it. You can really buy any company's chip kit that comes with a 28-pin chip. Then you can have a basemap burned onto that chip or you can buy a Moates (or similar) chip burner and load your own basemap. At that point you can install it and have the car tuned.

You've just been given the most dumbed-down explanation of the process of chipping an ECU ever. If you have to ask where to buy it rest very assured that you are not up to the task. Research on here for a few months before you start trying to tackle something like that yourself. Or you can buy the parts you want to ultimately have on your car and take your ECU to someone who can chop and tune it to let them do all the work.
      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

yea itss just that when i go online and search for a chip for the po6 SOOOOOOO MANY come up and its like wtf am i supposed to get.. thats why im asking if theres a specific one that people on here use thats really good or something..

a tunner i just talked to told me "a standard sf512 chip" any comments on that chip???
        Last edited by 92wip4dr; 03-23-2012, 11:25 AM.

Comment

There are only a few brands of chip. What you are finding are chips with generic maps loaded on them that people are claiming to be good "tunes".

"Chipping" an ECU simply means you modify it so that it can be tuned. The chip you want to add to the ECU should be blank. Nothing on it. You then load a "basemap", which is only good for getting the engine running to be tuned. Then you or someone with the knowledge and tools to actually do the tuning of it needs to program it for your specific setup.

You do not just buy a "chip", pop it in, and expect gains. Doing that will usually just damage your motor. Half of the "chips" you see on the internet aren't even ECU chips, they're simply 50 cent Radio Shack resistors that fool your IAT into thinking your engine is taking in cooler air.

Comment

You're trying to buy something before you know what you want to buy. Like I said, research the topic for a while. A long while. Then you'll see what to do with your P06 such as adding the necessary 28-pin chip and the other minor soldering involved on the board as well as whether or not you'll be adding features to it such as IABs. You're not ready to buy. Heck, I'm not even ready. But buying what you need before you know what to do with it won't do you any good.
            My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

ok so basically i should just buy a standard sf512 chip.. and have my tuner chip it and tune it

Comment

I would suggest that you let your tuner provide it... no sense in buying something that you have no need for.

Are you going to get it cheaper than what your tuner will sell it to you for? The tuners I know throw it in with the price of a tune..... sometimes they'll throw in an extra one.
                MR Thread
                GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

If you are not planning on chipping or tuning this P06 yourself and you are paying someone else to do it. I doubt that you are going to save any money bringing them in an EPROM chip.

However, to answer your original question you are looking for a 28 pin 27SF512 EEPROM chip. SST is the most popular brand these days. Atmel used to be the name to go for, however they don't make them anymore.
                  MR Thread
                  GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

ok thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X