Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Engine Swap: H22 or B18?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Swap: H22 or B18?

I'm looking to get my 93 accord lx w/ manual transmission back on the road. I was having an issue w/ the motor shutting off randomly. I figure I should just do an engine swap. My original idea was to go w/ an h22, but my cousin tells me w/ an integra ls motor(b18). Which will perform best in my accord. Why would I choose b18 over h22? Are we looking @ a difference in performance?

I think you need to do some reading before looking into swapping your cb. not trying to bash on you but either your messing around or kick your cousin in the nuts.

h22 tell let you know and look at hmotorsonline.com, b18 is a no go.

Marry Jane

Comment

Originally posted by 3rd1sthecharm View Post
      I'm looking to get my 93 accord lx w/ manual transmission back on the road. I was having an issue w/ the motor shutting off randomly. I figure I should just do an engine swap. My original idea was to go w/ an h22, but my cousin tells me w/ an integra ls motor(b18). Which will perform best in my accord. Why would I choose b18 over h22? Are we looking @ a difference in performance?
      Your best option is probably get a stock motor or go with the h22. A b-series motor won't fit in your car without some serious modification. With the money your spending to get the b-series into your car, you could've bought the h22.

Comment

You've been a member here for almost 6 years and you haven't been able to stumble upon this information?

Your cousin may not have a diagnosed disability but it's probably worth checking.

Comparing power figures in stock and modified form alone one might see that a larger variant B-series engine might perform well in an Accord. The issue is the physical size and the axles. Nearly everything would have to be custom. Mounts, axles, linkages for the throttle and shifter and the collector on the header just to name the basic few.

But your engine simply shutting off is not reason to get a new one. First find out why, then fix that issue. It could be something that would affect your new engine as well. Fix the car if it's not an issue that deals with the engines internals and then reassess.
        My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Son.

Do your research.
          The Accord weights a LOT more than a Integra.
          The B18 will BARELY pull the car.

You have much to learn.
          Not to mention all the custom wiring and mounts for it.
          Current:
          2007 Acura TL Type-S 6MT KBP

Past:
          1992 Honda Accord EX-R Sedan - RIP
          1991 Honda Accord EX-R Wagon - RIP 10/14/2010

Words change lives. You just got to choose the right ones.

Instagram: @CB7Nub

Check out the more active "CB7Tuner Canada" Facebook group for CANADIAN members ONLY.

Comment

Originally posted by CB7Nub View Post
            Son.

Do your research.
            The Accord weights a LOT more than a Integra.
            The B18 will BARELY pull the car.

You have much to learn.
            Not to mention all the custom wiring and mounts for it.
            Son. You're wrong. The B18 will move the car just fine. The CB came with a carbed 1.8L in other markets.

Jarrett said all that needs to be said on this.
            To elaborate on the shift linkage issue... the B series transmissions are shifted by rods, where the H/F series is shifted by cables. To use the rod linkage, you'd need to do some serious cutting on your floor.

Comment

If your car shuts off at random, the first thing that comes to mind is the main fuel relay. When the car shuts off, does it start right back up, or does it take a while?

Comment

A H22 most def. One of the easiest swaps for the CB. A b18 would be to much modding to fit.
                1993 accord lx coupe 5 speed f22a1 all stock for now.

Comment

Dood! Go wit da D15 outta da Civic! Hella gas mileage! Nuff said.

But seriously, do your research. This has been covered on this forum.
                  Originally posted by Junior Smurff
                  Nevermind guys, google search works wonders!

I don't have road rage, my car just goes faster than yours!

Accords are for winners. And Grandmothers. But mostly winners.

I have grown so Tired of Internet Illiteracy. Please learn proper spelling and grammar. For your sake and that of your children.

Comment

D15b6 8v's of fury /THREAD!

On a serious note an LS would move the car probably just fine hell the crv uses the B20. I have however seen a cd with a b swap WHAT a hacked up pos that was it didn't even run (i wonder why? lol).
                    Stick with a F/H series the LS is not any better than what you have now and far from worth the money and effort you would have to put into it to make a b series work in the cb chassis.

02 Crv
                    02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
                    92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
                    Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
                      You've been a member here for almost 6 years and you haven't been able to stumble upon this information?

Your cousin may not have a diagnosed disability but it's probably worth checking.

Comparing power figures in stock and modified form alone one might see that a larger variant B-series engine might perform well in an Accord. The issue is the physical size and the axles. Nearly everything would have to be custom. Mounts, axles, linkages for the throttle and shifter and the collector on the header just to name the basic few.

But your engine simply shutting off is not reason to get a new one. First find out why, then fix that issue. It could be something that would affect your new engine as well. Fix the car if it's not an issue that deals with the engines internals and then reassess.
                      I haven't been on this forum in the past 6 yrs. I had actually forgotten about the forum. Gas prices got me seriously ready to put that Honda back on the road. Haven't driven the car sense early 08. The engine in the car right now was a jdm swap f22. Never had the shutting off problem w/ the original motor. Switched it originally because I lost a cylinder. After @ least 6 months w/ the replacement motor, it started taking breaks whenever it felt like it. It's so weird. You would think it had a mind of it's own. Sometimes it'll crank right back up. Sometimes it acts like, "no need to keep try'n. We aint go'n nowhere till I rest a lil while." Crazy thing is, I took it to a repair guy. Car would not act up while the shop had it. So of course they couldn't diagnose a problem that wouldn't present itself. I actually had bought an h22 when I did my first engine swap, but my money wasn't right @ the time, & I couldn't afford to pay for the extra labor the guy was gonna charge me, so I sent it back and got the f22. I never thought about it that the problem could be the fuel realay. I really do want the DOHC, though. These issues are my excuse. Ultimately, I want a turbo kit on it.

Comment

What's the mileage on the car looking like? What have you checked so far?(Fuses, fuel pump, cables, relays?) It could be a minor issue if anything, especially since the car was sitting.
                        Also the car might've been manufactured as a 1.8L in other markets like certain parts of asia or europe but it was basically more-so a Destroked single cam F series block that is still made to fit specifically in the accord, so any B-series would be irrelevant.
                        Just look for the easy diagnostics first and then go from there.
                        If the problems insist on the car needing a new motor, H22 long blocks start @ $800.00. You can also go F20B(destroked H22) but you'll lose a little torque, and specs can't tell you but you'll lose top end as far as stock goes too. I've eaten a few up.

Comment

If you want a turbo. don't swap. Build the engine you have. There's no good reason to swap out an F22A if you're going turbo, unless you consider wasting money a good reason!

The next time the car cuts out, and doesn't start, try to figure out if it's lacking spark or fuel. It will be one of those. Figure that out, and we can help you fix the problem.

Comment

Working...
                          X