Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Wheel bearing Advice needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheel bearing Advice needed.

My driver's side wheel bearing is going bad. I thought I would be doing the ROH but it seems the deal has fell through. So I don't have the money to do the conversion with new parts. So I was thinking of keep the capture rotors as I don't think mine is that bad to take off.
    The advice I need is if my driver's side is bad, should I do just that side or go ahead and replace both sides?
    I found a bearing already pressed on the hub on Ebay for $60. This is the best I think as the bearing alone is $40 and the shop probably wants more than $20 to press the bearing in.
    Any one here actually used this type of setup with Ebay bearing already pressed in the hub and last more than a year?
    I have recently tested the suspected bearing and no play when tugging on the wheel. But I think it's going so it's a matter of time. I don't want to drive it too much before repairing it.
    I just got my car broken into and stole my amps and sub. Lucky my touch screen was not stolen. So I need to save up for my music. It's not a good time as I have been unemployed for almost a year now.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Bad_dude; 05-18-2012, 01:49 AM.

My pass front wheel bearing/hub i got off of ebay from seller am-autoparts. Still going strong for over a year. The sthds are a few mm longer which is nice.
    1991 Accord Ex - H22A - Omnipower Coilovers - Greddy SP2
    1993 Civic Dx - D15B7 - T3/T04E - Ported head - Hole in block - May be going F swap

My Workout Log

Originally posted by Leung
    Well, I poked the big one in the head with the shovel while shouting at it "hey, you can't sleep here".

Comment

Just do the side that's bad. If you're doing the work yourself, do the other side when it goes bad. Mine went a year apart, so it isn't necessarily an instant thing.
      I have no experience with your eBay bearings. I usually recommend Timken.
      Do you have a link for your eBay bearings?
      MRT
      37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
      30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
      27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
      Originally posted by Tippey764
      I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
      Originally posted by deevergote
      sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Is it possible to press the bearing out and in without the hydraulic press?
        Ebay bearing.
        I found a pair for $75, here.
        I think they are from the same place.

I have a 2nd option and that is a near by member is selling both front sides, including the knuckles with used bearings of around 30,000 miles already on them. I know it would be easier but the rotors need surfacing. To remove the rotors, I just need to remove the 4 bolts right?

Which option would you guys take?

Thanks.
        Last edited by Bad_dude; 05-18-2012, 01:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 91H22ACB7 View Post
          My pass front wheel bearing/hub i got off of ebay from seller am-autoparts. Still going strong for over a year. The sthds are a few mm longer which is nice.
          With longer studs, do I need a spacer? How much longer is it? My bolts are OEM and would they be long enough for the longer studs? If I replace one side, would the longer studs from one side effects my ride?
          Thanks.

Comment

i got them both for 65, you should look deeper. And for pulling the hub although its practiced, its a sealed bearing and can be damaged by the layman attempting this..500 miles and still riding like butter on a cob of corn..and Ive been thrashin it

Comment

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
              i got them both for 65, you should look deeper. And for pulling the hub although its practiced, its a sealed bearing and can be damaged by the layman attempting this..500 miles and still riding like butter on a cob of corn..and Ive been thrashin it
              Do you mean 65 for bearings or bearings/hubs pressed on already? Where did you buy them from? If Ebay, which seller?
              As for pulling the bearing, if it's already bad, why worry about it being damaged? Or did you mean the hub?
              Thanks.

Comment

So any one else come across the front pair for less than my $75 find?
                Thanks.

Comment

Hey bud,m yeah on ebay. They were the hub and bearing ...checking paperwork..
                  [IMG][/IMG]

sorry, it was the rear pair I got for 65

Comment

Originally posted by Bad_dude View Post
                    Do you mean 65 for bearings or bearings/hubs pressed on already? Where did you buy them from? If Ebay, which seller?
                    As for pulling the bearing, if it's already bad, why worry about it being damaged? Or did you mean the hub?
                    Thanks.
                    Pressing it in incorrectly could mess up the new bearing.. I dunno Im the kind of person not to mix and match old with new, especially when its a wearable item like the hub..if it got over heated or scored from the old worn bearing..know what I mean

Comment

So they raised the price up in just a few months. $5 could get me a gallon of gas. Lol.
                      illinois_erik, could you list the steps of what you did? I would imagine it was easier without having the press the bearings out and in.
                      Lots of work ahead for me. First I got the get the alarm system in, then the bearings, then my replacement sound system.
                      I thought about claiming the insurance but every one advice me against claiming the theft as they pay out now, but raise the rate later. The raised rate will be for life.
                      Lucky, I got some spare stuffs for my replacement when I was working. All I need now is a good 4 channel for my mids and highs. I like the US Acoustics stuffs. Cheap and sounds real good.

Thanks.

Comment

So they raised the price up in just a few months. $5 could get me a gallon of gas. Lol.
                        illinois_erik, could you list the steps of what you did? I would imagine it was easier without having the press the bearings out and in.
                        Lots of work ahead for me. First I got the get the alarm system in, then the bearings, then my replacement sound system.
                        I thought about claiming the insurance but every one advice me against claiming the theft as they pay out now, but raise the rate later. The raised rate will be for life.
                        Lucky, I got some spare stuffs for my replacement when I was working. All I need now is a good 4 channel for my mids and highs. I like the US Acoustics stuffs. Cheap and sounds real good.

Thanks.

Go ahead and use that discount code on the sheet I scanned. As for swapping bearings, pretty straight forward its just the other things that can be tedious make it a PITA. Just make sure you have a 12 point 10mm socket for the 4 bolts holding the bearing to the knuckle and a umm 32mm for the axle nut..Instead of typing out a book heres a video that I prepped with.

If you do wind up getting the hub/bearing assemblies itll be cake, just omit the part of the video where he's beating them apart. GL

check out his other videos, very insightful. Plus he's a certified honda mechanic..or was
                        Last edited by illinois_erik; 05-18-2012, 08:36 PM.

Comment

I think it's a 36mm axle socket right? Not 32mm.

The coupon code says: "Incorrect or expired discount coupon or gift certificate."
                          Last edited by Bad_dude; 05-18-2012, 09:02 PM.

Comment

I wonder why don't they have this type of setup, bearing/hub, for the 97-99 Acura CL?

Comment

I think it's a 36mm axle socket right? Not 32mm.

The coupon code says: "Incorrect or expired discount coupon or gift certificate."
                              sorry man, guess they want fast repeat business. yeah probably is 36 i dunno off hand and im a lil drunk now. easy to find info though.

Comment

Working...
                              X