Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Problem with a "S" Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with a "S" Code

Hello all.

As of late Ive been having problems with a code in which the Sport Indicator light (which normally turns on when pressing a button on the automatic shift column) keeps flashing and often times will not allow the car to start. A friend told me that my transmission could be done. I hope that's not the case. Can anyone provide some insight as to whats going on?

I have an Automatic F22A4.

EDIT//
    Ok so I was searching the forum and found these codes

TCU Error codes are indicated by the "S" light on 90-91 models, and the "D4" light on 92-93 models. The codes can be read in the same way, with paperclip method, as the ECU codes, by counting the flashes of these lights.
    The error codes are as follows:

0-Transmission control unit (TCU) faulty.
    1-Lock-up solenoid 'A' circuit open or shorted.
    2-Lock-up solenoid 'B' circuit open or shorted.
    3-Throttle Position Sensor circuit open or shorted.
    4-Vehicle Speed Sensor open or shorted - No signal from speedometer.
    5-Shift Lever Position Switch circuit shorted.
    6-Shift Lever Position Switch circuit open.
    7-Shift Solenoid 'A' circuit open or shorted.
    8-Shift Solenoid 'B' circuit open or shorted.
    9-Counter shaft or transmission speed pulse generator open or shorted.
    10-Coolant Temperature Sensor open or shorted.
    11-Engine RPM (Ignition coil signal) open or shorted.
    12-(No code 12 used)
    13-Main shaft speed pulse generator open or shorted.
    14-Linear (line pressure control) solenoid open or shorted.
    15-Kick down switch circuit shorted.
    Unfortunately I can't check these codes because I am outside of the country on vacation but Ill have someone I trust check the codes out for me and Ill report back to you guys...
    Last edited by Ctgearhead; 08-07-2012, 06:20 PM.

It's refreshing to see someone actually managing to find that "read here first" thread without being told!

It's highly unlikely your transmission is "done". Chances are one or more important things have failed, the TCU itself being a possibility. I'm no expert in automatics, so I could be wrong, but I've never known a transmission/TCU error to prevent a car from starting, so you may have more than one problem to deal with. When you get back to your car, pull those TCU codes and we'll go from there.

Comment

It's refreshing to see someone actually managing to find that "read here first" thread without being told!
      First rule of any forum is if you have a question be sure to look it up first before making a thread. i forgot that. XD

Thanks Deev Ill get right on that when I get back on the 26th.

As for the car not starting, I recently I removed the brain out of my Malfunctioning Prestige alarm system thinking that the system was preventing the car from starting Before I removed the main system computer we thought the TCU code wasn't letting it start. It worked for a while. But she will start after two attempts and sometimes she will start right away and sometimes she wont at all. Im going to check the fuel delivery system as well as the main electronics to see why she is hesitating to start sometimes.
      Last edited by Ctgearhead; 08-07-2012, 10:55 PM.

Comment

How old is your main relay? If its unknown either resolder all the points on the one you have now, or replace it with a new one. If I remember correctly, when my main relay was unplugged, and the ignition turned on, the s light flashed. Its very well known for intermittent starting issues.
        PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

Im not sure exactly. Ill be able to find out eventually. perhaps it might have a Manufacture date either printed or molded onto it.

But thank you for the suggestion, Ill keep it in mind

Comment

Most main relays have not been replaced yet. And it's quite true that this time of year is when they start to fail. The old solder points get weak in the heat. That could certainly be the cause of your problem, especially if the main relay can cause the S light to flash (something I've never heard of, but as I said, I'm no expert in automatics. I've never even driven an automatic CB!)

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
              I've never even driven an automatic CB!

HAHAH. You know when someones has never driven an automatic when, ur battery dies and they say "push start it".
              Last edited by tutsuo; 08-09-2012, 11:26 AM.
              Jesus drove a Honda, he just didnt talk about it like us. Proof - John 12:49 "For i did not speak of my own accord."
              Originally posted by deevergote
              den das al u ned u no dat u get wurs gas milge tho rite?
              Originally posted by deevergote
              These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

Comment

I would take a look at your TCU and your ECU. Could be messed up. Thats my best guess
                visit vgruk

Comment

Originally posted by ryandavis33 View Post
                  I would take a look at your TCU and your ECU. Could be messed up. Thats my best guess
                  That's far too vague. Yes, it could be either... but that's one step shy of saying "sounds like your car is broken. better replace it."

Reading the error code is the FIRST thing to do. Without that, random guesses aren't helpful at all... in fact, if the OP takes such suggestions, he may end up replacing unnecessary parts.

Comment

Ok.. you said the TCU flash does not allow the car to start? like lets say if you are cranking the car.. and it does not start but the "S" light is flashing? If so, This happened to me before last fall. Few weeks later my car died while driving to school. It was getting spark but no fuel.. But I replaced the fuel pump before school started. Then I looked at main relay got a new one. I never had that problem again.

Comment

That further supports cloudasc's main relay suspicion.

We'll have to wait until he has access to his car again to know if the S light and no-start are related, or independent.
                      Given the S/main-relay correlation, and the fact that it's frekin' hot out these days (perfect weather to kill an old main relay), I do think that's highly likely. At least for the no-start. The S light could still be indicative of another transmission error.

Comment

Well i cant i'm not currently in the US as I stated before. Ill will start with the TCU Codes first thing when I get back on the 26th

I thank everyone for their input

Comment

yea my cb wouldnt want to start on those really hot days until i changed the main relay

Comment

So i did the code test and shows code 6, but still have the same problem

Comment

Did you fix the shift lever position switch?

Comment

Working...
                              X