Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

best clutch for h22a setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

best clutch for h22a setup?

hi my names luis. i have a 91 accord lx coupe. im working on an h22a swap with a t2w4 transmission. i jus wanna know if anyone has any suggestions from experience what clutch i should use. the motors gona be stock with some bolts ons to give it a little more power. stronger internals and head work are after i get it all together and running. (after having some fun that is lol). i think a stage 3 would b too much cuz i dont want a clutch thats going to have to be redone again quickly. from what i here stage 3 wears alot quicker than normal so whats your suggestions?

When I posted here asking about the same question, I bought an exedy clutch kit from ebay for about $110 with pressure plate, throwout bearing, clutch and alignment tool.

edit: also I don't think you need anything more than a stage 1 clutch unless you plan on putting a turbo, or modifying it a lot...
    Last edited by Amiss; 08-16-2012, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Amiss View Post
      When I posted here asking about the same question, I bought an exedy clutch kit from ebay for about $110 with pressure plate, throwout bearing, clutch and alignment tool.
      I too bought just an Exedy clutch kit but went with a 11.5 pound flywheel since i needed a FW for the auto to 5spd conversion. I'm sure the stock style clutch should be able to handle the minuscule power that the basic bolt ons provide.

Comment

Nice tranny choice. I have a exert stage 1 and 8lb flywheel on my h22a
        2013 Ice Cream Cruise!
        VIDEO: 2012 Ice Cream Cruise
        VIDEO: 2012 Ice Cream Cruise part 2
        The single largest cruise in the Midwest!
        August 3 ~ Omaha, NE

By 1320 Video

Member's Ride Thread

Comment

Exedy Stage 1 and Fidanza 8lb flywheel. I've got over 50k hard miles and tons of 8k rpm shifts on mine and its holding up fine. The clutch you can find for 260 shipped and I think I got my flywheel for 155 shipped, both off Ebay about 4 yrs ago.

member's ride thread
          93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
          99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
          91 Accord SE 176k
          97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

I chose a different route meant for streetability and precision to hold up to like 350whp which wasnt necessary. This was the setup I was using on my h22 when I first decided to boost it. I was using a act clutch heavy-duty street/strip sprung hub disk on a 11.5 lb steel chromoly flywheel which was and still is excellent.

It will have a little heavier pedal pressure use than most but nothing extreme. It held up to alot of abuse burnouts you name it and even outlasted my transmission until I had to get it rebuilt by gearspeed.

My only gripe with those clutches dont use their throwout bearings ever! youll be replacing it the very next week if you do. So remember to try to get a stock replacement before using their throwout bearings they are complete utter trash.

Comment

Absolutely. Sparkle is totally right about the throwout bearing. Get a brand new throwout bearing from Honda, no matter what clutch kit you use.

Use a kit that is rated for your expected whp. An H22A with minor bolt-ons will need nothing more extreme than a stock replacement, or a "stage 1" from most reputable manufacturers. Anything more is just a waste, and more extreme friction material on the clutch disc will only eat your flywheel and pressure plate friction surfaces faster (just as aggressive brake pads will eat your rotors faster.)
              Exedy and Daikin are both OEM manufacturers, and either will be affordable, reliable, and well suited to your application.

If you choose to go with a lighter flywheel, I suggest 11.5lbs, rather than the super-light 8lb you often see. 11.5 will be noticeable, but you won't risk stalling every time you're not perfectly coordinated with the gas and clutch. REALLY light flywheels can be a pain in the ass for a daily driver! I had an 11.5, and I was happy with it (and I did stall occasionally even with that! Usually just brainfarts, though...)

Comment

oh and just fyi, an Exedy Stage 1 has a 260 ft-lb torque capacity, so you could even run a 75 shot w/ all the bolt-ons and still be fine

member's ride thread
                91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

You could run a respectable turbo setup on that! With stock internals, the engine would give out long before that clutch running 8-10psi (I'm not saying run turbo on stock internals... that's just dumb)

Comment

i went from an exedy stage 1, with a stock flywheel, then i swapped it with a stage 2, and 11.5lb flywheel with minor bolt ons, a little more then exhaust and intake, people say you dont need it, but to me it grabs better, and u just tap my pedal and it grabs, its not hard at all, and also the stage 2 is my daily.

Comment

Was the Stage 1 slipping?
                      Of course the upgrade grabs better... but it's absolutely unnecessary.

Comment

stage 1 was fine, saving it for my rebuilt F., i was doing a main seal and tranny swap, and decided to go with stage 2 and a lighter flywheel, you say its unnecessary, but it grabs better and i like that... so maybe unnecessary to most people but not to me.

Comment

What you "like" and what is proper for the function of the vehicle are not always one in the same.

Clutches are like condoms. Use what is appropriate for your equipment. Not enough will break too easily. Too much will be useless.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                            What you "like" and what is proper for the function of the vehicle are not always one in the same.

Clutches are like condoms. Use what is appropriate for your equipment. Not enough will break too easily. Too much will be useless.
                            i like that. i better get one of those Magnum clutches...

Comment

Originally posted by Mt.HOODrat View Post
                              i like that. i better get one of those Magnum clutches...
                              Bisi sells Action clutches lol

member's ride thread
                              91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Working...
                              X