Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Changing plugs quick question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing plugs quick question

Hello people,

Just going to change my plugs and was wondering if anyone know what spec they are actually supposed to to torqued to.. I never really thought to much about it before but I am curious because they are supposed to meet a specific spec when they're gapped "44mm" I think. Anyways it had me thinking that unless plugs are all specced the same then the gapping wouldn't be all that important.

Cheers

Spark plugs should be torqued between 10 and 12 ft. lbs.

Comment

The gap has nothing to do with how tight the plugs are installed. You should check the gap with a tool before installing to make sure there all gapped correctly even if they are pre gapped.

I believe Sinbad is correct, but if you dont have a torque wrench handy all of the NGK plugs I have used have a crush washer and directions on the box how to instal. I believe its something like hand tighten then turn an additional 2/3 turn etc.

Comment

Just be careful not to overtighten them. I did that myself, and now the threads in my head are damaged. It's a very expensive thing to fix.

Comment

Usually as long as you are using good Denso or NGK plugs, which is all you should ever use in a Honda, they usually come with the correct gap. Spark plugs certainly don't need much torque. When I either don't have specs or a torque wrench I just rotate the ratchet as far as I can with just one finger. I would still recommend using a torque wrench if you have access to one. On another note I always recommend putting anti seize to the threads of spark plugs, will make them easy to get out in the future, especially to reduce the chance of damaging the threads in the head in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by STOCKa6 View Post
            Usually as long as you are using good Denso or NGK plugs, which is all you should ever use in a Honda, they usually come with the correct gap.
            Even if the plugs come pre-gapped it is best to check the gap prior to installation.
            Originally posted by deevergote
            These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

As said check that gap foo.

And hand tighten, and then a 1/4 turn past that.....I been doing it since I was 8 years old, never failed me yet.

Comment

Deeves I have had plugs come out of my head twice now while driving (not my cb) and a helicoil I believe its called has fixed it for cheap and permanent. Not the best way but they work. As with anything custom its all in the craftsmanship.
                And to the op, to tight and they strip too loose and they wiggle out and beat up the threads in the head. The problem is if you are on the fourth set of plugs on that head, simply because of wear and tear on the threads the factory ft lbs spec may not hold that plug in. Maybey try spec first but check them daily and retorque in a week.
                ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

Helicoil is too weak for plug threads. It should never be used. Time serts are the better option, but it requires removal of the head and machine work to really be done right.

Comment

Pink knuckle it and USE anti seize or a dab of synthetic grease on the threads.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                      Helicoil is too weak for plug threads. It should never be used. Time serts are the better option, but it requires removal of the head and machine work to really be done right.
                      IIRC one of the main uses for a helicoil is for sparkplugs. at least in piston aircraft
                      visit vgruk

Comment

People do it... but my research steered me away from helicoil when I was looking to fix my own engine.

Comment

Proper gap and anti seize is a must for ALL plugs. I have never used a torque wrench on any plug, I guess you get a feel for it after changing a few hunred.. I have used a helicoil once on a 2.5 ranger (I removed the head). Worked fine and is running the same plugs still 3 years later. I have no clue what is going to happen when I go to remove them..

Comment

Well brothers from other mothers, I guess this gives me reason to bust out the tourqe wrench I bought like a year ago and give it whirl. Ill be tightening them to 12 fps, check the gap to make sure my "NGK" plugs are gapped to around 44mm and be sure to use a little snippet of never sleaze. Ya that should just about do it

Also, is it true that racing floormats add 10/15 hp?

Comment

Don't overtighten them. I did and the damn plug blew apart. Busted top half hit the hood. Had to get a reverse out or whatever they are called to get the bottom out.

Now I use the torque wrench.

steve

Comment

Working...
                              X