Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Cleaning engine cooling system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning engine cooling system

Hi guys I am new to cars and working on them, I own a 99 accord I recently picked up a 91 accord for $400 that is in need of some TLC. It came to my attention that the cooling system was filled with crap when I tried to fix the erratic idle issue.

To make this short and sweet, the engine block is filled with rust. I poured some distilled water and vinegar in it, but it didn't do much. I read that CLR/water should do the trick, but I was wondering if I shouldn't use my power washer to blast some of the crap out of the block's coolant passages before I dump some CLR and water in it.

Also, I already bought a new thermostat housing, the old one has the barbs half missing from rusting away, but should I buy new radiator hoses too, or will the ones that are on there be okay to reuse?

This is what the inside of the pipe going into the block looks like:

I would use a garden hose to flush the system rather than power wash. Power wash does not have volume of water as full blast of garden hose.
    Also, I would replace hoses as much as funding allows me if it was my car.
    A&P-IA

Comment

most likealy WP impeler is really rusted
      i would replace as much exposed/rusted metal as possible, new hoses and refill with coolant

search electrolisys
      Originally posted by deevergote
      Just do what PR CB7 said.

"I'm Going For Wood" (Clickey Clickey)

Comment

Originally posted by oyajicool View Post
        I would use a garden hose to flush the system rather than power wash. Power wash does not have volume of water as full blast of garden hose.
        Also, I would replace hoses as much as funding allows me if it was my car.
        I ended up doing this, it pushed out nasty brown water for a few minutes before clear water began to come out. I am going to do a CLR flush then put it all back together.

Originally posted by PR CB7 View Post
        most likealy WP impeler is really rusted
        i would replace as much exposed/rusted metal as possible, new hoses and refill with coolant

search electrolisys
        Hmm, I didn't even think about the water pump. I will have to check that out. I am going to grab some new hoses when I go to get a belt to bypass the AC since I removed it.

Comment

Originally posted by tb13 View Post
          I ended up doing this, it pushed out nasty brown water for a few minutes before clear water began to come out. I am going to do a CLR flush then put it all back together.

Hmm, I didn't even think about the water pump. I will have to check that out. I am going to grab some new hoses when I go to get a belt to bypass the AC since I removed it.
          also replace the timing belt would be a great idea since you have to remove it any way's .
          this was put together by evil_demon_01 . You can also fined all this and more by him in the Common Beginner Technical Info can be found in here. PLEASE READ HERE FIRST

Not this one though.1990 to 1993 accord fuel psi .

Car safety checks

Diagnose a Check Engine Light (also S/D4 transmission error codes)
          How to Set Base Idle Properly (F22ax, F22bx)
          Cheapest Suspension Setup to Lower Your CB7

Fluid Capacities

Comment

Working...
          X