Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Transmission Issues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission Issues.

Setup:
    boosted honda accord with a build f22a1 on 15 pounds.

Issue:
    bought a t2w4 lsd tranny, Intalled new carbon synchros and the 5th gear out of my stock tranny for a better overdrive. Once i put the transmission in the car when shifting at low rpms it grinds 3rd and 4th. but whats odd is at high rpms i can shift perfectly without lifting my foot off the gas with no grinds.

Has anyone ever experianced this? i did a little reseach and talked to a couple of people and found that if i sanded the glazed mating surface on the gears with 120 grit the synchros would be able to grip better.

Trying to get more opinions before i drop the tranny.

What fluid are you running? The only thing I could think of short of dropping the tranny is to try a different fluid.
    Not many guys do their own tranny work on here, so help might be in short supply in this case.

Comment

Im using castrol 10w-30. I removed and installed tranny. Someone else put the gear and synchros in.

Comment

Try using Honda MTF or GM Synchromesh.

Comment

What cond where the sliders/sleeves in? Shift fork damage can also cause grind. Everyone quick to jump on the syncros. Yes they are usually shot when you have a grind, but there is often a cause for them being worn/damaged.

Comment

ill try different fluid, after that i guess we will have to tear it apart and hopefully find the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by faulkner576 View Post
              Im using castrol 10w-30. I removed and installed tranny. Someone else put the gear and synchros in.
              10w30 was in the transmission of my car when I bought it. It shifted like shit. Like shifting a baseball bat in a 55 gallon drum full of bowling balls.

Changed it and ran Honda MTF like its supposed to have and immediately it started shifting like it should. Its amazing, you use what your supposed to use and things work like they are supposed to work.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Albert Einstein

Comment

The manual actually specifies motor oil... but that was before MTF was available. Advancements have been made since our cars were new.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                  The manual actually specifies motor oil... but that was before MTF was available. Advancements have been made since our cars were new.
                  I did not know that.

I wouldn't have payed 20k for a car that shifted the way mine did!

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Albert Einstein

Comment

I looked into swapping 5th gear on my H22a manual transmission many years ago. I worked for Honda at the time and had access to the powertrain experts.

The word I got back is that 3rd, 4th, and 5th could be swapped as a set. However, 5th gear was thicker in the F22 transmission than in the H22 transmission. Thus, if you want to swap only 5th gear, the F22 5th gear has to be ground down. And it was recommended that I not have this done, as only the surface is heat treated.

My point here is that swapping 5th gear is not a straightforward drop-in. Might be possible that the installer caused your problem somehow, if the swap wasn't done properly.

Comment

Originally posted by wagon-r View Post
                      I looked into swapping 5th gear on my H22a manual transmission many years ago. I worked for Honda at the time and had access to the powertrain experts.

The word I got back is that 3rd, 4th, and 5th could be swapped as a set. However, 5th gear was thicker in the F22 transmission than in the H22 transmission. Thus, if you want to swap only 5th gear, the F22 5th gear has to be ground down. And it was recommended that I not have this done, as only the surface is heat treated.

My point here is that swapping 5th gear is not a straightforward drop-in. Might be possible that the installer caused your problem somehow, if the swap wasn't done properly.
                      your right, i had to get the 5th gear machined because it was thicker than the 5th out of the h tranny. synchrotech actually makes the gear already cut to size but was alot more expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by faulkner576 View Post
                        Setup:
                        boosted honda accord with a build f22a1 on 15 pounds.

Issue:
                        bought a t2w4 lsd tranny, Intalled new carbon synchros and the 5th gear out of my stock tranny for a better overdrive. Once i put the transmission in the car when shifting at low rpms it grinds 3rd and 4th. but whats odd is at high rpms i can shift perfectly without lifting my foot off the gas with no grinds.

Has anyone ever experianced this? i did a little reseach and talked to a couple of people and found that if i sanded the glazed mating surface on the gears with 120 grit the synchros would be able to grip better.

Trying to get more opinions before i drop the tranny.

Took the transmission back apart inspected it and found that the synchro springs where left out! reinstalled the springs and shifts like butter.

Comment

Wow, you're my new best friend

Have a boosted H22A and bought a T2T4. Bought carbon fiber syncros from Syncrotech and machined down the 5th gear set myself through a machine shop. Then, turned around and bought the Syncrotech 5th gear set that they sell. Just waiting to buy a bearing set and then will be dropping it in. I debated buying the bearing set but may as well since I don't know how abused the transmission is I bought and no point in doing the job twice.

I was going to do the bearings, syncros myself but I don't have a press and I'm told it's not the easiest to do without one.

Edit: But judging by your post, it sounds like I should do it myself :P
                          Last edited by Raf99; 10-17-2016, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X