Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

CB7 keeps closing gap on spark plug!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CB7 keeps closing gap on spark plug!!

Sup everyone.

New member here but have been lurking around this forum for a bit haha. Anyway, I need some advice or help.

Story ..

Driving to work the car seemed to start losing power. It will chug a bit. I thought maybe fuel related. I get to work and hear a clack, clack, clack. Also smelled like gas. I open the hood and notice it was coming from the block. Anyway, I drove the car home since I had no other way to get it there. Halfway there, the noise goes away but the car still runs like crap. Basically felt like it was running on 3 cylinders. This whole time it reeks like gas. Idles fine around 800-900 but clearly has a misfire. Next day I check fuel, it's good. Compression read 180 fully across. But noticed the spark plug on cylinder 1 was completely shut and dark. I change the plugs, go to work, car drives fine. On my way back to work, same symptoms. I check the plug again and it it closing. I have no idea why the hell it is doing this. I heard of piston slap and whatnot. But I tried searching and searching and nothing. Any help or advice will be appreciated! Oh, f22a1 with 5 speed transmission. Completely stock. Oh, I did switch from external to internal coil. That's about it.

Thanks!

Eddie

Piston slap is just what happens when the cylinder bore tolerances are too great, and the piston has room to move side to side. Therefore, nothing to do with your issue.

Do you hear any knocking from the engine? Is there any evidence of detonation on the spark plugs (usually black specks on the white tip... or if it's bad enough, a chalky, flaky tip.) Detonation could damage the tip, and I imagine it could close the gap.

Another option could be a leaky injector. If there's always fuel being dripped into the cylinder (not just when it's supposed to be sprayed) then that could cause the black plug, gas smell, rough running, and even the closed gap (liquid doesn't compress, so if it's not burned, and there's enough of it, it can damage things... basically, hydrolocking... only not as serious.)

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
      Piston slap is just what happens when the cylinder bore tolerances are too great, and the piston has room to move side to side. Therefore, nothing to do with your issue.

Do you hear any knocking from the engine? Is there any evidence of detonation on the spark plugs (usually black specks on the white tip... or if it's bad enough, a chalky, flaky tip.) Detonation could damage the tip, and I imagine it could close the gap.

Another option could be a leaky injector. If there's always fuel being dripped into the cylinder (not just when it's supposed to be sprayed) then that could cause the black plug, gas smell, rough running, and even the closed gap (liquid doesn't compress, so if it's not burned, and there's enough of it, it can damage things... basically, hydrolocking... only not as serious.)
      Thanks for the reply. Actually learned a few things with your post. I remember the last plug it closed out was black. Faulty injector could possibly be it. How can I tell if the injector is leaky? I will post some pics of the actual plug that just went bad last night.

And no sounds of knocking or any of that.

Comment

Aside from determining that the injector is leaky based on symptoms, the only real way to know is to remove it and test it.

Injectors don't commonly fail, so you could probably pick up a cheap junkyard injector and try swapping it out. If you can get another injector for a few bucks, it might be worth a shot.
        You could also just try swapping injectors around. Install fresh plugs, and swap injectors on 1 and 3. If the problem occurs in cylinder 3 this time, then you'll know for sure that it's the injector's fault.

Comment

Aside from determining that the injector is leaky based on symptoms, the only real way to know is to remove it and test it.

Injectors don't commonly fail, so you could probably pick up a cheap junkyard injector and try swapping it out. If you can get another injector for a few bucks, it might be worth a shot.
          You could also just try swapping injectors around. Install fresh plugs, and swap injectors on 1 and 3. If the problem occurs in cylinder 3 this time, then you'll know for sure that it's the injector's fault.
          Yeah I have been told. I have taken a video with the same noise it was making before. And I took a picture of the plug that is now screwed.

Comment

Comment

This was the sound it was making before and stopped. Now started again. It comes and goes.

Comment

Car always made this strange noise as well.

Comment

Sounds like there is something broken/loose in your head.

Your plug implies that you have dry carbon buildup (can also be wet) (http://www.ngksparkplugs.ca/tech-inf...k-plug-faq.cfm) which is caused by oil getting up into the combustion chamber. Bad rings, Oil may be leaking into cylinders past worn pistons or poorly adjusted or worn valves, etc.

But the noise and the no gapped plug implies something metal is getting into the system and creating that gap (metal fragments, plastic, build-up). Oil leaking into the cylinder would burn away, and if you have had the same symptom on 2 sets of plugs then some foreign substance is getting inside and melting/creating the gab.

That noise just isn't right also...

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                    Sounds like there is something broken/loose in your head.

Your plug implies that you have dry carbon buildup (can also be wet) (http://www.ngksparkplugs.ca/tech-inf...k-plug-faq.cfm) which is caused by oil getting up into the combustion chamber. Bad rings, Oil may be leaking into cylinders past worn pistons or poorly adjusted or worn valves, etc.

But the noise and the no gapped plug implies something metal is getting into the system and creating that gap (metal fragments, plastic, build-up). Oil leaking into the cylinder would burn away, and if you have had the same symptom on 2 sets of plugs then some foreign substance is getting inside and melting/creating the gab.

That noise just isn't right also...
                    So, at this point, best bet would be to remove the head and see what the hell is going on? I saw another thread that the dude had the same problems (I don't think he had the same noise) but he removed the head and there was something in there basically making the spark plug close the gap.

Comment

I can't get the video to load, unfortunately. For some reason, my computer hates photobucket!

The black plugs can be a result of overfueling as well. If the engine is running rich, it will cover the plugs quickly. I've managed to foul a set of plugs simply by idling my car for a few hours!

As described, everything seems to point to a faulty injector by my estimate.

Comment

I can't get the video to load, unfortunately. For some reason, my computer hates photobucket!

The black plugs can be a result of overfueling as well. If the engine is running rich, it will cover the plugs quickly. I've managed to foul a set of plugs simply by idling my car for a few hours!

As described, everything seems to point to a faulty injector by my estimate.
                        Haha, trust, I don't like Photobucket either but which other site hosts these videos? I am going to swap the injectors and see what happens. I just don't want no detonation issues or none of that nonsense lol. And it kills the plug in a matter of a few minutes.

Comment

Try switching the injector to another cylinder. If the problem follows the injector, then it'll confirm my suspicions. If not, then at least we can rule that out!

Comment

Originally posted by i_eduardo View Post
                            So, at this point, best bet would be to remove the head and see what the hell is going on? I saw another thread that the dude had the same problems (I don't think he had the same noise) but he removed the head and there was something in there basically making the spark plug close the gap.
                            ya, i think i read the same one. I kind of agree with most the threads in that unburnt fuel or carbon build-up won't cause such a gap closure as your pic shows but will cause your plug to look foul.

But ya, this closure of the gap on the plug implies something is getting in there. I'd agree with the others for the broken injector, but the sound your car makes in the video implies something metal is broken.

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                              ya, i think i read the same one. I kind of agree with most the threads in that unburnt fuel or carbon build-up won't cause such a gap closure as your pic shows but will cause your plug to look foul.

But ya, this closure of the gap on the plug implies something is getting in there. I'd agree with the others for the broken injector, but the sound your car makes in the video implies something metal is broken.
                              Alright so I switched the injectors already and will keep you guys updated once I drive it. Worse case, I will pull the head off.

Thanks again for your input.

Comment

Working...
                              X