Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Daily driving a Odyssey battery ok??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daily driving a Odyssey battery ok??

Hey guys I've done a search, and I've seen a few members are running odyssey pc680 batteries. My question is in regards to daily driving with one any one doing so? And are there any real negatives to having it as opposed to a standard battery? I'm interested in it for its small size and obvious weight savings?

If you have any electronics, like audio upgrades, I would not recommend this battery. Depletion can happen very quickly when the alternator isn't running. CCAs are lower in this battery compared to standard batteries. For me, however, it works fine, since I do not daily drive and I gutted my car.

Pulse (5-second) Hot Cranking Amps (PHCA) 520
    Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) 170
    20Hr Nominal Capacity (Ah) 16
    Reserve Capacity Minutes 24
    *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
    ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
    ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
    "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
    Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
    The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
    Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

Comment

Thanks for the reply, and I'm a fan of your met btw... I don't have any audio upgrades other then speakers, and a head unit. The cars used mostly as a secondary get around car/commuter, and i hope to get it to the track often when i start modifying it more. The battery just seems like an affordable option to shed a few lbs while not hurting anything, but i guess it would purpose a problem driving in winter conditions, any one doing so anyways??

Comment

My friend used a small Odyssey battery with a sound system for a while, and it worked. It did eventually crap out on him, though. Not sure how long it lasted.

If it's just there to start the car, it should be fine.
        To be safe, you may wish to invest in a jumper pack and a battery charger/maintainer just in case (both are good things to have regardless.)

Comment

Hmm interesting, id be curious to know the longevity of using one, i do own a battery tender. I have a jumper pack somewhere in the garage its hiding. Ill most likely wind up purchasing one, and while I'm at it do a trunk relocation. Thanks for posting up. Anyone else with opinions on this matter or overall satisfaction with these batteries?

Comment

I put a group 26R Duracell battery from Batteries Plus in my Accord about a month ago. 540 cca and only weighs 29.5#.

I went out a couple weeks ago, when it was below zero and the car hadn't been run in 3 days. It cranked just fine. I'm running a base map on my S300 until I can get it tuned and the car doesn't start very well. The battery just kept cranking until it fired after about 10 seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by af_1132 View Post
              Pulse (5-second) Hot Cranking Amps (PHCA) 520
              Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) 170
              20Hr Nominal Capacity (Ah) 16
              Reserve Capacity Minutes 24
              man, 170 CCA's?!? you'll be out there all morning trying to start the car during the winter lol
              FRIENDS
              DONT LET
              FRIENDS
              ROLL ON
              ROTA'S

Comment

I used a PC680 and Kinetik hc 600 in my cr-v. It should work fine if you trick the eld, something I never did. I had to turn the a/c or lights on to force the alternator to charge. Otherwise after a few 10 minute lunch trips the battery will be depleted since the *** honda charging system never turns on.
                Manual Belt Conversion-Variable Intermittent Wipers-Steering Volume Controls-Rear Defroster Antenna-JDM Climate Control-MDX Steering Wheel-Lighted Mirror Switch-CL Trunk Solenoid-CL Homelink-Shaved Hood Squirters-Foglight Wiring Diagram-Door Panel Removal-Puddle Lights-Ambient Lighting-Door Speaker Install-Window Seal and Regulator Cleaning-Prelude Cluster-Mirror Tweeter Pods-Illuminated Window Switch -More Coming Soon

Comment

Originally posted by wagon-r View Post
                  I put a group 26R Duracell battery from Batteries Plus in my Accord about a month ago. 540 cca and only weighs 29.5#.

I went out a couple weeks ago, when it was below zero and the car hadn't been run in 3 days. It cranked just fine. I'm running a base map on my S300 until I can get it tuned and the car doesn't start very well. The battery just kept cranking until it fired after about 10 seconds.

Also running a 26R in my Accord. Battery died about a month ago, and it was the 'best' option I could find at the time. Cheaper, lighter, same-ish CCA(540).

From MRT:
                  Originally posted by Chrisnick View Post
                  Battery died on Tuesday night. Had today and yesterday off, and it's been -buttf*ck degrees, so I didn't have much want to fix it.

24F vs 26R. Old battery was 12 years old. New one is half the weight, almost half the size, $20 cheaper, and more powerful. Still looking at a LiFePO battery for autocross, need to do more research first. For now, I'm happy!

If I wasn't in such a need of a battery at the time, I probably would splurge on one of those fancy Lithium Battery Tender units. Just look at the weight savings! I'm tempted to still buy one to run in the summer.
                  http://www.batterytender.com/Batteries/
                  Last edited by Chrisnick; 01-30-2015, 04:28 AM.

'98 Prelude resto/mod thread

Comment

Do you need anything else to run the lithium batteries? or do they have the charging circuit inside them? 2.1lbs for 300CCA seems crazy.
                    Bought from: Night Wolf, bassrock234, sonikaccord, 904drACCORDMANG

92 Accord, F23a franken-engine, N/A forever.

Comment

Everything's integrated into the battery so they should be good to go. In warmer climates and keep drives frequent(I've heard they'll drain quick over a few days if not kept charged, and in under 40 degree weather), I don't see them being an issue. That being said, I wouldn't trust one to hold up to the heavy-ish winters like I get in Ohio. In The south/southwest I don't see them being an issue.

We've had a few threads specifically about these Lithium batteries on the GRM forum.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/for...s/89074/page1/

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/for...e/97616/page1/

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/for...y/78130/page1/

My thread from when my battery died:
                      http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/for...4/97562/page1/
                      Last edited by Chrisnick; 01-30-2015, 04:17 PM.

'98 Prelude resto/mod thread

Comment

Great info in this thread, thanks everyone, now I'm kind of interested/torn on one of those lithium batteries or odyssey's.

Comment

Without going into a ton of detail and seeing where you live, I'm going to say no, do not bother with the 680. Those things hate the cold. I was pulled over once for a short traffic stop (10 min) and left my lights on, go to leave and the battery was dead. I was considering doing another 680 for my new CB but after reading everyones issues with dead batteries after 4 days and having to battery tend the thing constantly, I decided against it. Just not worth the hassle and headache, a full size battery is so dependable. If it's a project car/summer car, go for it, DD during the winter, absolutely no!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X