Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Just another H22 swap!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just another H22 swap!

Got a 1990 lx 5 speed with 159,000 miles that's been running on three cylinders for 5 months now. Never got to drive it on 4. I think a piston may be damaged as there is no compression in the bad cylinder, so I just unplugged the fuel injector so I'm not polluting the world and my lungs. Now the poor neglected accord goes 0-60 in about 23 seconds, has no power under 2000rpm, and spews white smoke when the engine's cold, not to mention I have to add a quart of oil every other week. Well I've had enough of driving a car with no power so it's time for a change.
    I have the full neglected cb7 story here http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=206631

Was originally planning on just getting a new f22 but it's very difficult to find a decent used engine without 47,500,000 miles on it, plus I discovered the H22 possibility. I was originally going to have a mechanic do the swap for me but I slowly realized that no mechanic wants to do an engine conversion so I'm doing it myself. I borrowed an engine hoist from one of my professors and bought all the tools I needed.
    Here's the list of parts I have or am getting. I've done hours of research but I'm still new to this and would appreciate any advice and/or criticism.
    I'll be getting just the motor because I'm a baller on a budget at the moment as I finish my final year of college, and I'd prefer better highway mpg over acceleration.

Purchased Items:

JDM H22a from hmotorsonline (with p13 ecu and downpipe)

Wear n Tear Parts
    From hondaautomotiveparts,

92 SI timing belt adjuster
    92 SI Bolt, timing belt adjuster spring
    92 SI Bolt timing belt adjuster
    92 SI plate, adjuster
    92 SI bolt, timing belt adjuster base
    92 SI Washer plain
    90 Accord fuel filter

93 prelude sivtec parts:
    hose, water outlet
    thermostat assembly
    Gasket therm case
    Oil pump-oil strainer
    oil filter
    Intake manifold
    o-ring upper x4
    o ring 1.81
    injector cushion ring x4
    lower injector seal ring x4
    DISTRIBUTOR
    Distributor rotor
    cap assy
    drain plug crush washer
    gasket set, head cover

Genuine Honda MT oil

Autozone,
    Dayco adjuster, balance belt tensioner
    Dayco adjuster, timing belt tensioner <- Won't be using
    Dayco timing belt
    Dayco Balance belt
    Dayco Water Pump
    10w-30 Castrol synthetic
    NGK Iridium IX spark plugs

Oreilly,
    Magnaflow Direct fit catalytic converter

Amazon,
    NGK Leads
    Genuine Honda power steering fluid

Ebay,
    Used OEM PS High pressure line.

USautoparts
    Exedy Stage 1 Clutch kit

Yonaka catback

Keeping 5 month old f22 thermostat

I want this car to be a sleeper so I'd like to keep the noise level and cosmetic enhancements to a minimum.

Engine bay as of now

Exterior as of today
    Last edited by IgnoredCBsavior; 11-03-2015, 03:25 PM.

Make sure the engine you get comes with the appropriate P13 ECU.

Also, I would purchase one of these to stupid-proof the additional wiring the H22A needs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Acura-...5f4b6e&vxp=mtr
    Last edited by Jarrett; 06-05-2015, 12:17 AM.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

i dont know how reputable the place your getting the motor from is.. BUT hmotorsonline.com is VERY reputable from just about everyone on here that has bought from them im sure. also probably be a good time to do trans oil and i would recommend doing oem for timing belt/water pump
      Last edited by Jarrett; 06-04-2015, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys.

This may be a dumb question but would the F22 timing belt fit on the h22?
        I cant remember if I read somewhere that said if it would or not. I'd like to keep my timing belt as it is also 5 months old.

Comment

No, it won't. It's much shorter as it only has to wrap around one camshaft gear instead of two.
          My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by 93redcb7 View Post
            i dont know how reputable the place your getting the motor from is.. BUT hmotorsonline.com is VERY reputable from just about everyone on here that has bought from them im sure. also probably be a good time to do trans oil and i would recommend doing oem for timing belt/water pump
            I agree with this 100&#37;. Having had my swap (from hmotorsonline) since before this site even began, and then watching people order engines from there and other places over the years on these pages... there has been a very clear trend. The hmotors engines are almost always good (and the one bad one I recall was taken care of quickly and professionally, with no major hassle.) Other companies, especially companies selling engines so cheap, very often sell questionable engines. In order to keep their prices down, they skimp on quality control (testing and such), they buy from less-reputable recyclers overseas, and many of them don't actually buy their engines from Japan (meaning the mileage is likely MUCH higher than expected.)

I recently talked to a guy that specifically ordered an OBD1 JDM H22A from TigerJapanese. What he got was an OBD2 Australian H22Z1. Unlike Japan, where it is not very economical to put much more than 35,000 miles on a car before replacing it, Australians can (and do) drive about as much as Americans... so it was likely that the engine he got had well over 100,000 miles on it! When he contacted them regarding the error, they told him to just go ahead and install it... it will work just fine. He said no, and I believe they finally agreed to replace it with what he ordered... but he had to ship the engine back to Canada, which would cost him practically half again of what he paid for it.
            Since Tiger is in Canada, and the buyer was in the US, suing them would be very difficult and expensive. Beyond the means of most CB7tuners.
            These cheap Canadian engine sellers are often VERY bad news. If you're going to buy cheap, at least buy from a cheap seller in the US. At least then it will be a bit easier to take legal action if necessary.
            Otherwise, it's a gamble. And the older these engines get, the greater that gamble is!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
              I agree with this 100%. Having had my swap (from hmotorsonline) since before this site even began, and then watching people order engines from there and other places over the years on these pages... there has been a very clear trend. The hmotors engines are almost always good (and the one bad one I recall was taken care of quickly and professionally, with no major hassle.) Other companies, especially companies selling engines so cheap, very often sell questionable engines. In order to keep their prices down, they skimp on quality control (testing and such), they buy from less-reputable recyclers overseas, and many of them don't actually buy their engines from Japan (meaning the mileage is likely MUCH higher than expected.)

I recently talked to a guy that specifically ordered an OBD1 JDM H22A from TigerJapanese. What he got was an OBD2 Australian H22Z1. Unlike Japan, where it is not very economical to put much more than 35,000 miles on a car before replacing it, Australians can (and do) drive about as much as Americans... so it was likely that the engine he got had well over 100,000 miles on it! When he contacted them regarding the error, they told him to just go ahead and install it... it will work just fine. He said no, and I believe they finally agreed to replace it with what he ordered... but he had to ship the engine back to Canada, which would cost him practically half again of what he paid for it.
              Since Tiger is in Canada, and the buyer was in the US, suing them would be very difficult and expensive. Beyond the means of most CB7tuners.
              These cheap Canadian engine sellers are often VERY bad news. If you're going to buy cheap, at least buy from a cheap seller in the US. At least then it will be a bit easier to take legal action if necessary.
              Otherwise, it's a gamble. And the older these engines get, the greater that gamble is!
              Thank you for the wisdom, I'll be going with hmotors. I chose jdmenginecorp because I've read many good reviews on them and they're price was much lower and offer free shipping to a business, however everyone seems to have much more confidence with hmotors so I'll spend the extra $.

Comment

Smart move.

The guy that bought his engine from Tiger said the same about them. The cheap places sell in such volume that there are plenty of positive reviews (not every engine they sell is crap... it's just more likely that you'd get crap, and you'd have less recourse in that event!)
                The ONLY downside to hmotors is the price. You truly do get what you pay for, though. I'm confident in saying there is simply no other engine importer with as good a reputation. They're one of the most honorable businesses I've ever come across in the import scene.

Comment

+1 for hmotorsonline too. Good customer service and you definitely get what you pay for.
                  Gary A.K.A. Carter
                  [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

+2. I've never bought from them but 3 of my friends did and their h22 are still running to this day with no problems. Good luck with the swap.
                    ~Nick~
                    FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
                    MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Why the OBX ceramic header? It won't be any better than the stock H22A header. Save a few bucks.

Comment

Because the factory H22A you get in the condition as it comes from many importers doesn't always include a bolt-on solution header. If it does not, it's nice to plan ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by wagon-r View Post
                          Why the OBX ceramic header? It won't be any better than the stock H22A header. Save a few bucks.
                          Well I've read on a few different sites that the h22 header won't bolt up correctly to the f22 down pipe, I'd this correct.

Comment

You never use the F22 "down pipe". The H22A manifold from a 5th gen Prelude is too short. The 4th gen Prelude's manifold will fit fine.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                              You never use the F22 "down pipe". The H22A manifold from a 5th gen Prelude is too short. The 4th gen Prelude's manifold will fit fine.
                              Ok, I'll take the header off the list then.

Comment

Working...
                              X