Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

b series cb7?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

b series cb7?

i have seen a lot of bashing about this topic but... my old auto teacher is giving me his b18c from his teg because the body is gone...
    apparently there is a guy that does track days with his b18 swapped cb7 and does really well makes over 300 hp... the old honda crvs had b20s in them so i dont see an issue weight wise.. and the engine would be fully built before installation.. in theory if one wanted to do this swap what would be needed? i have done research but all i find is negativity.

Honestly, with what B-series engines go for, you would be better off selling that B18C to turn it around and spend money for an H22A for the Accord. It's not that it's an impossible swap. It's very possible. It's just that it's not practical.

The transmissions use a hard linkage that would require you to clearance part of the body to allow them to travel from the shifter location to the transmission. There's a deal-breaker right there.
    Then you would need to come up with custom mounts to fit the engine and transmission in the bay. Someone would have to fabricate them to line them up for your next obstacle which is the axles.
    There aren't axles made for this application so you would have to mix and match axles to find ones that are the correct length and still retain the splines needed for each hub and the transmission openings.
    Then there's the issue of a header. Not a very big issue here, but when other applications have drop-in solutions, it's one more tick against a B-series. You'd have to have an exhaust shop mate up the B-series header to the Accord exhaust.

Once all of that is done you're still left with wiring it all up. OBD1 wiring can be retained to make it fairly painless, though, so this isn't a big deterrent.

Honestly, I've enver heard of one being done, so I believe you're mistaken. Just take the engine, sell it for the funds to go buy an H22A with a few parts to refresh it. Then, install that with the appropriate ECU and call it a day.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

I've seen one B swap done in a CB. It was ghetto-rigged, and definitely not 300hp. It's not that it's not capable of moving the car (CBs in other markets had carbureted 1.8L engines from the factory...) but as Jarrett said, the amount of custom work necessary to install one would far outweigh any potential benefit. It would be like walking up the stairs backwards instead of taking the elevator. Sure, it can be done, but is it worth it?

Comment

The B series swapped CB7 is in my state.
        Originally posted by Mishakol129
        Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

Originally posted by dj_ender View Post
          The B series swapped CB7 is in my state.
          do you know any info on it?

Comment

Nothing other than it was an LS engine.
            Originally posted by Mishakol129
            Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

our CBs weigh ~500lbs more than what the engine was intended for. Those engines don't make enough torque, you'll be revving the thing sky high to get it to move.

member's ride thread
              93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
              99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
              91 Accord SE 176k
              97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

ok so youre getting a tired B and gonna build it and do an unconventional swap on top of that?

sorry but a built F will dog walk a B series. and for the money to money, a stock H would probably smack a "built" B of the same price.

Id save the B for a crx or eg, then itd be fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
                  our CBs weigh ~500lbs more than what the engine was intended for. Those engines don't make enough torque, you'll be revving the thing sky high to get it to move.
                  If the carb'd F18A can move a CB, a B18 would do just fine. It would be a bit of a setback in terms of performance, however.

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
                    There are a lot of 1.8L & 2.0L engines running in heavier cars than the CB. The B series has more than enough tq, it's just higher in the RPM range. My little 2.0L 5spd ZETEC powered SUV moves when you get up in the 6k rpm range. And that is where they are made to run.

Fun as hell to drive small displacement engines with "sky high" power ranges. However, I will admit that it does get a bit much after a while though. It's nice to have a low rpm cruiser as a second car.
                    Last edited by GhostAccord; 09-27-2015, 01:42 PM.
                    MR Thread
                    GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

That has long been my argument against the F20B. It's "just as powerful" as the H22A (and in terms of horsepower, so is the B18C5)... but the power is higher, and it is made over a narrower RPM range. Torque production is less, but honestly, these are ALL "torqueless" engines. The difference in 1.8L torque compared to 2.2L torque is fairly negligible, considering the drastic differences when compared to forced induction or large displacement engines.

I would argue that a B18C5 in a CB7 would easily keep up with an RSX-S. Especially if some modest weight reduction were to be done in the CB7 (such as the removal of all AC components.) There would already be a fair amount of weight reduction present in replacing the heavier Accord engine and transmission with the lighter Integra stuff. The RSX-S only has a weight advantage over the CB7 of about 200lbs.
                      Additionally, the B series aftermarket is probably still healthier than the F and H series markets combined, and performance documentation for the B series is certainly more available. A lesser B series engine, or even a D series engine, properly built for turbo will also be quite effective. New cars that are a good deal heavier than a CB7 are now sold with small-displacement turbo engines that move them quite well.

The argument isn't so much that it won't move the car. It will move it just fine. The question is whether or not the cost, time, and effort needed to make it happen justifies the end result. If you just want to be "different", then it will suit your needs. If you want a more powerful engine under the hood, there are much better options. Unless you are a skilled fabricator, the cost of having the necessary parts made to do a B series engine swap in an Accord would likely exceed the cost of a directly-swappable H or F series engine.

That, too, is my argument against the K series in these cars. While the K series is a superior design, and has a growing (rather than shrinking) aftermarket, a stock K series engine will provide performance no better than that of a stock H22A. It will also cost a great deal more, and offer significantly less ground clearance (who cares how fast you are if you can't drive over a manhole cover without ripping your oil pan off?)

Comment

Agree 100&#37;....The power is there. It all comes down to whether or not the costly & timely mods required to get it in there are worth it. Only to say you have a B/K series CB Accord.
                        MR Thread
                        GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by GhostAccord View Post
                          Agree 100%....The power is there. It all comes down to whether or not the costly & timely mods required to get it in there are worth it. Only to say you have a B/K series CB Accord.
                          thanks ghost im willing to spend the time and money and i would like to show people that it can be done.. ill be getting the engine for free next week

Comment

There's no doubt that it can be done. It HAS been done.

Can you weld? Are you capable of fabricating your own parts? If so, then you may be able to do it without a major expense. However, there are NO available parts for this swap, so if you can't weld and fabricate on your own, and you have nobody on hand to do it cheap or free for you, you're potentially going to end up spending a great deal more to install this engine than you would to do a simple H22A swap.

While I defended the B18C5 (Integra Type R) swap, anything short of that isn't going to move the car much better than the F22A you'll be removing.

Comment

Since you obviously only care to hear the opinions of those that haven't flat said not to do it, can I hear what your plans are to overcome the obstacles I laid out?
                              My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Working...
                              X