Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Is this Mod Legit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this Mod Legit?

Is this actually going to do anything for me? I'm taking my front bumper off, so I would want to do this then...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK449Ws_49I

Thanks!
    I'm faster then a prius

I usually just remove that entire box rather than drilling a bunch of holes, but I guess either way works. Leaving the box may help keep crap from getting sucked in. But yeah that's a pretty common mod! Some people remove even more of the ducting to turn it into a "short ram" intake (basically so the inlet side of the filter itself is open right to the air) but leaving some of the ducting in place indeed will make it more like a "cold air" style intake, where it gets air from inside the fender.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

It is arguable whether or not any intake modifications (even the addition of a quality cold air or short ram intake) truly offers any significant increase in power.

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
        I usually just remove that entire box rather than drilling a bunch of holes, but I guess either way works. Leaving the box may help keep crap from getting sucked in. But yeah that's a pretty common mod! Some people remove even more of the ducting to turn it into a "short ram" intake (basically so the inlet side of the filter itself is open right to the air) but leaving some of the ducting in place indeed will make it more like a "cold air" style intake, where it gets air from inside the fender.
        Do you think it's going to really do anything though?
        I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Originally posted by GTRON View Post
          Do you think it's going to really do anything though?
          You'll hear more intake noise, and maybe gain a miniscule bump in power that you probably wouldn't really feel. But people do it.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
          - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
          - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
          Current cars:
          - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
          - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
            You'll hear more intake noise, and maybe gain a miniscule bump in power that you probably wouldn't really feel. But people do it.
            I like noises
            I'm faster then a prius

Comment

It's Off!

Got it off. Super easy.

So all I did really is take the box off, I put the stock pipes back in... Looks OEM

I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Now you're sucking up engine bay air instead of cooler air from the wheel well. Great mod!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                  Now you're sucking up engine bay air instead of cooler air from the wheel well. Great mod!
                  And about 100 feet from the intersection, under hood temps will be ambient anyway. Probably not a major loss. I was able to experiment on a newer vehicle with a scanner, and the IAT temperatures always dropped to nearly ambient once you hit about 30 mph or so. So you might lose 1-5HP for a few sconds right off the line, but otherwise not a big loss. For some, the gain in sound is worth it.
                  Originally posted by sweet91accord
                  if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

My experience certainly is not the be all and end all, but II race a DC2 out in the mountains with a few friends, and we do track days etc.

I have a b18c2 Dc2, my friend has a h22a4 ba4, there is a few sr20 s chassis, two r32 GTST (rb20's), an r33 GTST (rb25) and a few other cars.

On N/A cars, pod filters/new intakes rarely do much for an N/a car without all the supporting mods, we can't tell the difference besides noise, except that a dirty pod is ALOT worse than a dirty oem filter.
                    sold! But here's my build thread for those interested.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=206864

Comment

Kinda dumb..

It's like the beer keg intake thing VR6 people do. I'd just put a quality cone filter on there or leave it stock. All this "mod" does is make noise.

Comment

I remember long ago when I had this I cut more holds in the bottom of it where some holes were already. It did nothing and I'm sure Honda knows how big to make the holes for maximum efficiency already

Comment

Originally posted by foamypirate View Post
                          And about 100 feet from the intersection, under hood temps will be ambient anyway. Probably not a major loss. I was able to experiment on a newer vehicle with a scanner, and the IAT temperatures always dropped to nearly ambient once you hit about 30 mph or so. So you might lose 1-5HP for a few sconds right off the line, but otherwise not a big loss. For some, the gain in sound is worth it.
                          Very true. I've made that argument myself in the past. Still, randomly removing stuff that doesn't have any benefit performance-wise, and just makes the car sound more like the old beater that everyone expects it to be... makes no sense. The inlet is the same diameter as before, so there is nothing to be gained from removing that bit.

So to answer the initial question... that mod is not "legit". It's like cutting one pantleg off at the knee thinking it'll make you run faster.

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
                          Kinda dumb..

It's like the beer keg intake thing VR6 people do. I'd just put a quality cone filter on there or leave it stock. All this "mod" does is make noise.
                          He still has the stock filter box in there. He just removed the resonator box.

Comment

I realized this probably has no benefit at all, it was just fun taking apart stuff and learning how it works.

There's really not that much more intake noise.

Also for the record, if I would had left it, it would have been only sucking in air from the engine bay. Now it's sucking from under the fender, and a little bit from the engine bay.

Ok, I'm done defending myself now.
                            I'm faster then a prius

Comment

I'm all for learning how car stuff works and is out together! I might put a keg over my cone now.

Comment

Working...
                              X