Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Car turns over but won't start sometimes, but will pop start.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If there's a substantial amount of oil that is actually entering your combustion chambers, it's very likely. Depending on the amount of liquid, it could also cause severe engine damage (essentially, hydrolock... bent valves, bent connecting rods, maybe even a brand new central air system for your block!)

Comment

Repair the leaking spark plug tubes. Any oil getting into the cylinder will foul the spark plugs and cause starting/running issues.

Why haven't you taken off the cap for the distributor and actually look at the internals? It is really (REALLY) easy to just pull it off to see the health of the distributor. Super easy.

Comment

Cap and rotor are fine, I'll order some grommets, plugs and wires when I get paid friday. The car does run great and no smoke out the tailpipe, so I'm assuming the oil hasn't leaked past the plugs yet.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
          Sniff.
          Advocating for petrol sniffing???

Well I never!

sold! But here's my build thread for those interested.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=206864

Comment

I would just want to add that with the spark plugs installed properly, leaking lower tube seals will NEVER let oil into the combustion chamber. Lets say you don't "siphon" the oil out before unscrewing the spark plug, when you unscrew it then the oil goes in the chamber. The spark plug is essentially a pipe plug really, it will stop all fluids from entering the chamber as long as they are tight/snug and not loose. I would for the moment clean most of the oil up so you have good connections @ the wires to spark plugs and continue with your diagnosis. With spark, fuel and compression she'll run.

Comment

Originally posted by Granite CB7 View Post
              I would just want to add that with the spark plugs installed properly, leaking lower tube seals will NEVER let oil into the combustion chamber. Lets say you don't "siphon" the oil out before unscrewing the spark plug, when you unscrew it then the oil goes in the chamber. The spark plug is essentially a pipe plug really, it will stop all fluids from entering the chamber as long as they are tight/snug and not loose. I would for the moment clean most of the oil up so you have good connections @ the wires to spark plugs and continue with your diagnosis. With spark, fuel and compression she'll run.
              Could you please explain more?

The spark plug tube seals are exactly that. A seal for the spark plug tube. If the seals leak and let oil into the spark plug tube, then it can travel through the threads and leak into the cylinder. I've had my spark plug tubes overflow with oil once and have had to deal with this issue multiple times. There was obvious evidence of oil being burnt in the cylinder on the spark plug itself.

How would the oil get into the combustion chamber and foul the spark plug?

Comment

Originally posted by oni_cb7 View Post
                Could you please explain more?

The spark plug tube seals are exactly that. A seal for the spark plug tube. If the seals leak and let oil into the spark plug tube, then it can travel through the threads and leak into the cylinder. I've had my spark plug tubes overflow with oil once and have had to deal with this issue multiple times. There was obvious evidence of oil being burnt in the cylinder on the spark plug itself.

How would the oil get into the combustion chamber and foul the spark plug?
                My main focus is the crush/sealing washer on the spark plugs, when installed properly the washer really should seal all compression in and all oil out. I suppose a tiny tiny bit of oil could bleed down into the combustion chamber but would it really be enough to foul plugs? Plus, if it were leaking that bad, wouldn't compression be leaking out of the motor? If the plugs were really that fouled I'm leaning towards worn valve guides or piston rings. I guess a good experiment would be to see how well a spark plug would seal out water on my spare cyl head, may have to try that. My reasoning obviously doesn't cover unconventional problems such as a cracked cyl head or completely stripped spark plug threads in the head. Just kinda thinking out loud here, if you have some good info on this please share

Comment

Working...
                X