Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

oil eater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil eater

My 91 accord ex goes through oil like a fat man. I was wondering what type of oil you guys use and what i should do about this.

Well your obviously leaking oil. Crawl underneath the car and trace the leak could be your oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket, seals and all that. For the oil pan you can tighten it since sometimes the bolts come loose. Some people like to put 10w40 on higher mileage cars to help the rings seal so yea. Also does your car blow blue smoke out the pipe?

The New-ish Ride
    My old Ride
    Hear my Vtak!!!
    MK3 Member #3
    I piss off people for fun.
    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

yeah it is blue smoke and it is really bad when i hit the gas and go fast

Comment

The blue smoke would most likely be caused by bad piston rings.

This is a rather expensive problem to fix.

I wish you luck!
        1991 Honda Accord EX (Canadian)

Comment

my mechanic told me bad rings is caused by the car overheating before? is this true? my car doesn't smoke any oil just wondering.

Comment

all i know is last week i had to cut off my cad converter because all the exhuast was going back to the engine. So i am just trying to figure it out before i go to the shop and pay out of the butt

Comment

if you are blowing that blue or some smoke out the tailpipe then more the likely its your rings. just plan on it.. i have been going good for about 2 years with bad rings.. yes it uses oil but i am just seeing how long its going to last before eating an engine. these engines last pretty good as long as you keep up the tune up and change oil and timing belt !!

Originally posted by Devergote
              A CB7 with an H22, a clean paintjob, HIDs with a projector retrofit, some nice wheels, and a mild drop on H&R Sport springs and Koni Yellow shocks... that's the perfect car. I'd be happy with that for the rest of my life.

Comment

Your rings are worn you can try using 10w40 to see if that helps. Best way is to do a compression test.

The New-ish Ride
                My old Ride
                Hear my Vtak!!!
                MK3 Member #3
                I piss off people for fun.
                IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

thanks for the feed back.
                  Now does anyone know how much that runs or if it is an easy fix??

Comment

Ring Job: It just might appear in the dictionary as a definition for "Difficult."

Anywhooz, here's a post from P_Adams, the ultimate Internet-Honda-Guru who tends to reside over at Honda-Tech. The original post was directed at me when I was trying to diagnose my dissapearing oil problem (which turned out to be a leaky-ass oil pan):

With regards to the observation of possible Piston Ring Issues, I'd like to offer a proceedure which might address your problem w/out tearing anything apart.
                    It's possible you've got rings which have frozen in their grooves, thus failing to properly seal against the cylinder bores.
                    Try this; it's cheap and doesn't involve tearing anything apart.

Purchase either a can of SeaFoam or GM Top Engine Cleaner (PN# 1050002). remove all four spark plugs and pour equal amounts into each combustion chamber and let sit for at least three hours.

Go get a coffee
                    Go "Entertain" the GF or significant other
                    Go get a beer, anything - just go away for three hours.

Cycle the engine several times to evacuate the excess cleaner and reinstall the plugs. Roll the car outside and start the car. You're going to enjoy a re-enactment of a WW2 Destroyer's putting a smoke screen down (that's why I suggested putting the car outside) so get ready for the Fire Dept etc.

What you've most likely got is the piston rings have gummed up in their lands and have stopped conforming to the cylinders. This will free them up.

P
                    1991 Honda Accord EX (Canadian)

Comment

couple things... i believe oil pan bolts can only be tightend to 8 ft/lbs. thats like nothing. be careful. you could have a cracked piston, bad rings, or bad valve seals. you should just buy a good engine. it sounds like you have no experience in the matter. you could source a jdm engine for the price it would be to replace valve seals, head gasket, rings, pistons, hone, etc. buy a jdm motor. preferably some place near you
                      Formerly: sheisanonymous

Comment

Well, right now, I'm burning oil too (low mileage F22a6!), but it's NOT my rings (awesome compression), it's my valve seals. It'll being to smoke at about 5K. What's your mileage? Have you done a compression test? That will help determine what the cause is.

Dan

Comment

you guys are right i know nothing on this matter. I drove a geo storm before i got my honda. :/ . but no i have not done any test and the car has 148000 miles. HOw much do jdm motors run??

Comment

check here http://www.jspecautosports.com/default.aspx got some nice shit. about 2k for a good motor. some come with trans and ecu and shit and some dont. they even have replacement f series on there but id just do the swap.

Comment

Working...
                            X