Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Car Per Dollar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car Per Dollar

Ok, so i turbo'd my F22a...blew it from boost creep (melted piston ring)...then i put in an F22b and turbo'd it...and blew it just from the power i suppose...steady 8-9psi, perhaps from being on the F22a basemap and driving a little too hard.

Anyways, so i had the F22B block replaced on warranty with an F22a block.

So, i've spent around 1400 for my whole turbo setup...tuning equipment, wideband, nice intercooler piping, front mount Saab intercooler, 2.5" custom exhaust turbo back, external routed wastegate dump...i did everything.

But now with 2 blown motors, i'm a little scetched to put the turbo back on.

I'm left with 3 options.

Try the turbo on the stock block again and get it dyno'd and professional and conservatively tuned.

B) Use my H22 eagle rods i have lying around, order Custom F22a forged pistons (that will acount for rod length difference) ($550), and build the engine...aprox cost of $1000 after boring, etc etc.
    Then pick up a 16g and boost to 12-14psi to make around 280whp.
    Not too much traction, but still have my pristine 93 2 door with my awesome custom SQ stereo, and everything finished.

C) sell my car, part it all out, ...car will sell for 2700-3200...rims, stereo and turbo parts for another 1500,
    then buy a nice local 94 talon with a 6 bolt motor (5000 miles on it), with 70k Miles on the chassis, leather interior, loaded and in mint condition for only 4400...a good deal for this much car.

What would you do.
    93 CB7 with F22b/f22a hybrid stock turbo'd
    30.00%
    93 CB7 Built F22b with 16g turbo (for $1000 more than other options)
    40.00%
    94 Talon TSI AWD - 70k miles, mint - same price as my car + parts
    30.00%

as much as i hate to say it, that car is done. throw in the towel on it and start with a different platform. i personally wouldn't buy a 1g DSM... too many problems. why not try an EF or crx? b16 in either of those with boost would be faster than yout cb7 also b series engines <3 boost. f series engine's aren't as accepting

Comment

I'm sort of a bigger guy...i dont' really fit into Civics all that well. When i drove my bro's 96 civic, felt like a tin can compared to my accord.
      Not very solid.
      Albeit, the b series do pretty good on boost. But they are FWD and lack traction at higher HP's.
      Other option is a 240sx, but that requires swap and a lot of money.

For the price of the talon that already has the reliable motor and 2.5" exhaust and tastefully lowered, it's not all that bad.

What are the main problems you see with the 1g DSMs?

Comment

Originally posted by mtnickel
        I'm sort of a bigger guy...i dont' really fit into Civics all that well. When i drove my bro's 96 civic, felt like a tin can compared to my accord.
        Not very solid.
        Albeit, the b series do pretty good on boost. But they are FWD and lack traction at higher HP's.

For the price of the talon that already has the reliable motor and 2.5" exhaust and tastefully lowered, it's not all that bad.

well i had one and got rid of it cuz they have tons of idle problems, they like to overheat, drivetrain problems(when u get a 3 bolt rear end), they have wierd electricle problems that fix themselve, do u want me to go on?

i would keep what u got and build the h22, that motor will give u decent torque (cuz hondas dont have torque, lol) but if u dont want ur car anymore then do what u want to, good luck

and by the way, no dsm has a reliable motor, its just the way they are

Comment

Originally posted by mtnickel
          Not very solid.

crank walk. nuff said. stay honda or nissmo and EF civic's are a lot bigger than newer ones. they're ugly as sin but i have a 320 lbs 6' 5" friend that own's one and it's a little tight but he can still get in one comfortably. crx's are about the same size in the front as cb7's are.

Comment

do what your instincts tell you.
            reality at it's finest.

Comment

i would rather have cb7 and try to turbo again pro tuned, ^^^and 6bolts motors from 1g are not really known for crank walk if any.

Not my fault my dick only fits magnums.
              Why drink and drive when you can smoke and FLY?

Comment

Originally posted by EuroSpec
                crank walk. nuff said. stay honda or nissmo and EF civic's are a lot bigger than newer ones. they're ugly as sin but i have a 320 lbs 6' 5" friend that own's one and it's a little tight but he can still get in one comfortably. crx's are about the same size in the front as cb7's are.

the 2g's have more chance of crank walk but the 1g's will do it to, unless u want to spend a ton of money stay away from dsms and by ur first post u dont want to spend a ton so i would stay away if i were u.

Comment

not the 94 Talon. later.
                  Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Originally posted by TypeG
                    not the 94 Talon. later.
                    Bingo.

Comment

it sounds like you have almost everything you need to continue with your CB except for a little bit of funding maybe but let me lay it down like this ... you build your cb7, you know it from top to bottom if you have done alot of work on it, you know where all the problem areas are and how to fix them ... ok you get a new car you have to start worrying about all the little problems you might not know about since you havent been with this car as long as your cb7 you dont know how to fix everything(i am assuming since you were asking about known DSM problems) and you dont know what type of abuse it has withstood over the years .... so thats just a little something to think about since i am going through the same problem with my new car only differnece is its a 95 accord so i know how to fix basicly everything i have found wrong with it

Comment

Originally posted by trickedaccord92
                        it sounds like you have almost everything you need to continue with your CB except for a little bit of funding maybe but let me lay it down like this ... you build your cb7, you know it from top to bottom if you have done alot of work on it, you know where all the problem areas are and how to fix them ... ok you get a new car you have to start worrying about all the little problems you might not know about since you havent been with this car as long as your cb7 you dont know how to fix everything(i am assuming since you were asking about known DSM problems) and you dont know what type of abuse it has withstood over the years .... so thats just a little something to think about since i am going through the same problem with my new car only differnece is its a 95 accord so i know how to fix basicly everything i have found wrong with it
                        Nicely stated.
                        I do know my car top to bottom, and aside from a rattle in the front left suspension, it's perfect. Sort of wish i had AC sometimes, and power windows so i could construct better door pods.
                        I have put so much work into the current turbo setup with the piping, exhaust and gauge pod. I think i will tough out the extra dough to build the motor and go for that.
                        I'm gonna drive the talon today for the fun of it, but probably stay away.

I really haven't read all that much saying how problematic the DSM's are.
                        Idle problems ya, crankwalk on 2g's ya, but i haven't heard about it being any worse than any other car with the rest of the stuff.

Thanks for the advice, and keep it coming, i'd like all the input i can.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by trickedaccord92

x2

Comment

Working...
                          X