Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

alternator, alternator, alternator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

alternator, alternator, alternator

i've been having electrical issues for a while now in my CB (battery light, lights dimming, overall loss in power in higher RPMs)
    and after doing searches and research on my symptoms, i'm positive its with the alternator - furthermore, i've prety much narrowed it down to the brushes.

i'm in college and away from home, but i'm going back this weekend to do the job. i will be able to pick up a bursh kit from my local honda dealer.

now, here are the issues:

-i'm a noob at auto repair and this is going to be my first real hack into components and stuff; but i feel like i'm ready and can totally handle it.. (i didn't have anyone around to help with auto stuff growing up. my dad just brings everything to a mechanic to get worked on, and i don't want to end up like that. i like getting dirty and fuck with shit! i want to be able to move into the bigger stuff, eventually, and so this is a stepping stone towards that goal.)

-i'd like some feedback as to making this job easier for a noob like me while at the same time SUCCESSFUL.. so i guess, what do i have to remove to have sufficent space in working in that area in order to easily remove the alternator? (yeah, power steering pump and drivebelts.

-some guidance from your collective success in doing this. what should i do, and what SHOULDNT i do. what should i watch out for?

-how exactly do you remove the belts once the tensioner has been loosened up? i tried doing this last weekend but couldnt figure out exactly how to remove the belts.

please help!
    My pictures/photos will return soon...

cant help u on this one , but this idea might help..

get a Haynes or Chilton manual , it will tell u everything. good luck

1993 Honda Accord LX 2004-2009
    1996 Honda Civic LX 2009-2012
    2012 Kia Optima LX 2012-2013
    2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 2013-2018
    2007 Honda Fit Sport 2017-2017
    2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T 2018-20XX

Comment

I second the Haynes manual. If your not able to do so, then here goes:

1. Disconnect the Negative battery terminal. If you have a sstock radio, youneed the security code, if not no radio.

2. Disconnect the wire leads to the alternator. 8mm I believe.

3. Loosen and remove the bolt just in front of the alternator. 12mm

4. Loosen the alternator bracket bolt. 14 mm

5. Loosen the tensioner bolt on the alternator. It is on the side, in front of the radiator. There are 2 bolts; 1 for the little bracket, the other for the tensioner.

6. Repeat steps 4-5 for the powersteering pump. You can now remove the power steering belt.

7. Remove the alternator belt.

8. Remove the bolt that hold the tensioner bracket in place.

9. Remove the alternator bracket bolt, and out comes the alternator.

Hope this helps. If I forgot a step, someone please fill it in.

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
      JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

Comment

It's not hard at all man. My first time i did it, it took me about 2hours tops and i thought it was pretty easy. I had my Haynes manual to guide me along and used everyday tools to get through it. The most important thing is to make sure you disconnect the negative terminal of the battery before doing anything. Just pace yourself, it's cake.

Edit: oh wait, you mentioned brush kit. Are you planning on rebuilding the alternator? I don't think that procedure is outlined in the manuals, but IMHO, it's probably just easier to take out the old alternator and take it up to your parts store as a core exchange for a unit that's already rebuilt.
        2010 Toyota Camry LE 2.5L - the most boring car ever
        2002 Impreza WRX - TD05-16G, 178K miles, 30mpg hwy
        1993 Accord SE - RIP 10/2000-07/2013

Comment

Working...
        X