Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

[HELP PLEASE] Very Chunky Idle at Start Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[HELP PLEASE] Very Chunky Idle at Start Up

Latley my 91 accord has been idling extremely rough right at startup. It clears up after about 5-20 seconds depending on how cold it is outside. Before it smooths out it will be rough under acceleration to. Any ideas?
    -Thanks

Mine used to do that also. Only seems to happen when it is cold out.. I just gave it a little gas and it smoothed out right away. Later

Comment

Check your distributor cap for traces of carbon. Clean the contacts or replace the rotor and cap.

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
      JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

Comment

I though cap and rotor too. But tis only doin it when its cold out... could that still be it?

Comment

Did you replace the rotor and the cap? If yes, then check around the fuel injectors for leaks.
          * If good, then it may be a clogging fuel filter.
          ** Does the battery have good charge? Not enough charge can cause this as well.

Comment

i was just about to say have you done a tune up lately?

Comment

I had the same problem. This is what I did. (do at your own risk, not that there is really any risk involved)

open this bad boy right here:

then there should be a little ring with knotches in it, while the car is on and cold, (doing that rev thing) turn that ring until it lowers your RPMs, you should be able to hear it.
              Last edited by OnBBS17s; 12-08-2006, 11:10 PM.

The Wood grippin' - Mesh spinnin' Accord
              My Ride | Cars from my trip to Japan | Japan II

Comment

While you are at it check the IAC valve. The green arrow.
                1. Use an ohm meter and measure the resistance at the connect in the pic.
                **It should read between 8 and 15 ohms.**

2. Check to see if there is continuity(don't know if I said that right), between each wire and ground. (Red terminal to one of the wires in the plug, and Black terminal to ground. Then the next wire. If there is continuity, then replace the IAC valve.

**Basically this valve controls the amount of air allowed to bypass into the intake mani.

As for the RED arrow, this is the Fast Idle Thermo valve.

1. You want to start the engine and allow to idle.
                2. Remove the cover as stated in the above post.
                3. Make sure there is air flow. If no air flow is present, replace the valve.
                4. If you have air flow, allow the engine to warm up to the point when the fans kicks in.
                5. Check now for air flow, if air flow is still present, you need a new valve.

Hope this helps.
                Last edited by djcaz_aom; 12-09-2006, 01:29 AM. Reason: left out pic

Comment

what about blocking off the thermo valve would that change anything

Comment

a rough starting idle can also by caused by the pesky rocker arm o-rings leaking oil onto a plug or two, making for a rough start, does your car smoke at all when you start it?
                    (\__/)
                    (O.o )
                    (> < )

1991 Accord Ex Coupe:
                    -RAI, New(ish) cylinder head, high power alternator (wtf )
                    -Exhaust tip
                    -DIY PCV Filter
                    -DIY Oem Taillights
                    Umm, yeah, my car needs some T L C

People I've Purchased From: Kmart64,Yeamans17, (yournamehere )

Comment

Working...
                    X