Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

E-Brake barely holds on hills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E-Brake barely holds on hills

hey,
    my handbrake seems to have trouble holding the car when i use the handbrake on fairly steep hills, i have to absolutely reef it up, and before anyone says tighten it, i've tried it and it doesn't do anything other than tighten it where i lift the handbrake. when i'm on a hill i'll put the handbrake on and it'll roll until i pull it up harder, would this be because of pads wearing out? also after leaving it on a hill over night or something when i get in the car and put the clutch in it'll start to roll back,
    i hope this information helps
    thanks in advance
    Trini

maybe you need to replace the cable, they stretch after time. Also how are your pads?

Comment

Myne Wouldnt Hold, So I Had The Pads Changed. Its Better, But Its Still Not "Strong" as it Should Be.
      "Black92Accord's NEW Acura TSX"

W/ Navi But Auto
      -----------------------------
      SOLD
      1992 Honda Accord EX 2dr. With a 5speed Manual Trans, Black Exterior with Black/Tan Interior
      SOLD

Comment

take off the center consol and tighten it

and Wa~La

Old Ride-New Ride

Comment

Originally posted by Mike

and Wa~La
          I have same problem and this ^ ^ ^ is what I'm going to try. I still think my pads need to be replaced though. For now though, if you must park on a hill, turn your tires all the way into the direction of the curb...driver's ed 101. Good luck with you issue and keep us updated.
          91 EX F22A4 - Stock w/ 220k mi
          My Ride - 12/06

Comment

Originally posted by Mike

and Wa~La

Ding ding ding...we have a winner!

The e-brake cables do not self adjust, so you must periodically adjust them as the rear pads wear.

Tighten the adjusting nut (the one in the middle of the 2 cables all by itself) until the ebrake pulls up 8 clicks. You should not be able to reach the 9th click without really really pulling, if at all.
            Last edited by owequitit; 01-26-2007, 05:12 PM.
            The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit
              Ding ding ding...we have a winner!

The e-brake cables do not self adjust, so you must periodically adjust them as the rear pads wear.

Tighten the adjusting nut The one in the middle of the 2 cables all by itself until the ebrake pulls up 8 clicks. You should not be able to reach the 9th click without really really pulling, if at all.
              My e-brake has been a little loose too so I am going to try this on mine.
              R.I.P. CB7; hello spec-v!

Member's Ride
              FS thread: full part-out

Help me with my spec-V fund, buy my stuff!!!
              Degree of rice and performability are inversely related.

Comment

a couple of you seemed to not have read my post properly, i said in it that i've tried tightening it but it doesn't make much difference, i guess i'll just change the pads, and see what happens
                cheers

Comment

If your vehicle has rotors and pads in the back, I would have to say that the likely cause of this problem would be slack in the cables and that they should be replaced to see if this fixes your problem. If you have drums and shoes in the rear, you may want to check to see if your drum has any drag against the shoes. If the rear brake shoes are not adjusted properly this could also be a cause as to why your e-brake is not holding all the time.
                  JDM H22A LSD Powered 92 Accord
                  193.9 HP, 149.5 TQ
                  Skunk2 Pro Intake Manifold, Custom Header with 2.5in. mandrel bent exhuast
                  Accuracy Automotive-757-548-9227

Comment

I carry a piece of wood with me and chock my rear tires =D OR I lock it in gear haha i keed. But yea adjust your e-brake usually I just put it in gear.

The New-ish Ride
                    My old Ride
                    Hear my Vtak!!!
                    MK3 Member #3
                    I piss off people for fun.
                    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

take off your back wheels and inspect your cables for binding, wear. if good check the brake components thats all I got, do you have drums or discs in the rear? for now put in gear when you park, turn your wheels and pull the e brake.

Comment

Originally posted by nucleara
                        take off your back wheels and inspect your cables for binding, wear. if good check the brake components thats all I got, do you have drums or discs in the rear? for now put in gear when you park, turn your wheels and pull the e brake.
                        good point, if your car still rolls alot in gear your tranny may be slipping too

Comment

have you tried adjusting the drums in back if you have them? i know you said you tried adjusting already but you can adjust the drums and the cable

Comment

I just changed my shoes and now the Parking break dosen't hold. I already tightened it all it goes. What gives?

Someone mentioned adjusting the drums as well. Would you please enlighten me.

Thanks.

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
                            JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

Comment

Should be an adjuster wheel somewhere in the back you use a flathead screwdriver to move. Turn it one way it loosens the shoes turn it the other it tightens it. But ill see if I can find the diagram on it I have it somewhere.

The New-ish Ride
                              My old Ride
                              Hear my Vtak!!!
                              MK3 Member #3
                              I piss off people for fun.
                              IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Working...
                              X