Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Anyone Need MSD help on CB7s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d112crzy
    It's the same question I ask every person that buy MSD ignition.

Many tuners, including myself, always recommend taking off any MSD ignition components and replacing everything with new Honda components.

To answer your question, there is no point. It's useless really.

90% of people that say they felt gains with an MSD product felt it because their 15+ year old Honda ignition components were worn out.

The ONLY MSD product I would recommend is a coil. Not always tho. Higher revving setups need it a lot more than anyone else. High revving meaning, over 9k RPM.
    well from my experience with MSD...there is a difference...especially when u take it off and go back to honda ignition...you realize that MSD does give ur car a better gain in power (low and top end)....

...but wat can i say...its just my opion because (side bar: green bay caught intc.) i never tested it scientifically by getting numbers on my car (dyno and/or track) with the honda ignition and then getting numbers on my car with the MSD setup... i have no recordings or documentation on that...but do you...? and if so... please share...
    A wise man sees failure as progress...

Comment

It's called 2 step, just like you mentioned.

It's a launch control system. It allows you to fully press the gas pedal without it going to your normal rev limit. You set a lower rev limit, this will be your launching rev limit.

It cuts your ignition system, at the set RPM, and it re-enables the ignition a little under the set rpm, so you get a fluctuation, just like you would hitting the normal rev limiter.

It is the safest way to go about a 2 step/launch control. Many Honda engine management systems/rom editing softwares cut fuel, instead of ignition. Though it is more harmful to the engine than the MSD 2 step, it's not as bad as people think. You'd have to hold the gas for long periods of time for it to do any significant damage.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Originally posted by jyoungblood87
        well from my experience with MSD...there is a difference...especially when u take it off and go back to honda ignition...you realize that MSD does give ur car a better gain in power (low and top end)....

...but wat can i say...its just my opion because (side bar: green bay caught intc.) i never tested it scientifically by getting numbers on my car (dyno and/or track) with the honda ignition and then getting numbers on my car with the MSD setup... i have no recordings or documentation on that...but do you...? and if so... please share...
        Like I said, it will give you gains when you replace an OLD honda ignition system.

You'd see the same gains if you replaced your stock system with a new, OEM part. I proved it just a few days ago. A buddies ignitor was going bad. i replaced it with a working one and noticed a HUGE difference in how the car ran.

I don't have any dyno graphs, because I don't waste my money on doing tests for others on something I already know.

I have personal experience tuning. Many MSD boxes have given me more problems than good.

Spark actually broke up with high boost settings with a 6al box. I asked the customer to go back to stock, and never had problems again.

I've had the same issue more than once, on different cars.

My experience, plus the experience from trusted sources makes my opinion be that MSD is unnecessary and doesn't give gains over a new/well working OEM ignition.

Comment

Originally posted by droppedcb7
          question about the msd system that drag racing ppl use called like 2 steppin . and it sounds bad as sh$t . whats it called and whats it cost.
          yea like the person before me... its called 2 Step... the module looks like this:

it usually costs around fifty bucks...but u have to have the MSD ignition box (6AL, SCI, or SCI-L) to hook it up to...
          Last edited by jyoungblood87; 12-16-2007, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy

My experience, plus the experience from trusted sources makes my opinion be that MSD is unnecessary and doesn't give gains over a new/well working OEM ignition.

Thx dude... i just didnt want to confuse opinion with fact...and im not doubting your opinion...ur entitled to it...but this thread is about MSD setups, installation, and purchasing questions...not a "which is better..." thread... i am not an expert...im just a guy who has had success in installing a full MSD setup (cap, coil, rotor, ignition box) without any problems today (except for the igniter going bad in the distributor)...

Comment

whats that 3 step one??

Comment

I know, and I didn't mean to clutter your thread.

I was just pointing out something that was false. I don't want people thinking they NEED an MSD setup if they're over going to mod their car. It's money that could be saved for something else.

Comment

Working...
                X