Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Car overheating on start up - why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car overheating on start up - why?

I bought the car from my brother last summer. I haven't insured it yet so it mostly sits in the driveway. I do start it often and drive it around the block now and then. Recently I did these things for maintenance:

- Coolant flush
    - Coolant Hoses
    - Trans Fluid
    - Cap/Rotor
    - SRI
    - Fuel Filters
    - Wires
    - Valve Cover Gasket
    - Cleaned TB/IACV/FITV
    - PCV Valve/Grommet

I have 4 quarts of 5w-30, 4 NGK iridiums, and a thermostat to put it but the thermostat is not Honda brand so I've been hesitant to put it in.

I've run the car with all of these things before and it hasn't over heated. Before I bought the car my brother said the car would overheat a little when he had the A/C on during long highway drives. I figured I fixed it or it fixed itself or something since it hasn't been apparent.

Yesterday I jump started the car and notice the temp gauge went up 1/4th inch right away, then slowly went up after. I figured it was a flook.

Today I started the car to bring it into my garage to do the oil/plugs and it shot back up 1/4th right away. Whatever right? So I pull in the garage and pop the hood and the thing is sooo hot, after running for 5 min it should not be that hot. I did not rev it or anything, I never went past 3k rpm. The main radiator hoses were extremely hot.

What could cause this to happen so suddenly and so fast?

Thanks for any help!

thermostat not opening up.
    if you got something smart to say, guess what, i dont care.

Comment

the same thing is happening on my truck, i guess i should stop by auto zone and get me a new Tstat then.

Comment

1. Bleed it right?
        2. Your brothers overheating while driving is prob the secondary fan not turning on.
        3. If that fails could be just a bad tstat.

When they were hot were they equally stiff?

The New-ish Ride
        My old Ride
        Hear my Vtak!!!
        MK3 Member #3
        I piss off people for fun.
        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
          1. Bleed it right?
          2. Your brothers overheating while driving is prob the secondary fan not turning on.
          3. If that fails could be just a bad tstat.

When they were hot were they equally stiff?
          I can't remember if they where equally stiff, but when I squeezed the top radiator hose it make a weird squeaky noise.

Comment

Well, I'll replace the t-stat today and see if that fixes the problem.

Comment

i just replaced mine on the truck and it runs a lot cooler now.

Comment

Yea sounds like my problem....

Tstat not opening...upper hose was hot as balls but the lower hose was cold...

and sometimes on the highway it would flucutate but my fans were ok just not cooling it good enough lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie
                  Yea sounds like my problem....

Tstat not opening...upper hose was hot as balls but the lower hose was cold...

and sometimes on the highway it would flucutate but my fans were ok just not cooling it good enough lol.
                  yeah this was what was happening to me.

Comment

Yea that probably is the problem. Although, I just discovered when I squeeze either hose, the top or the bottom, it makes a clicking noise inside the thermostat housing. Is that noise normal or is something broken in there?

Comment

i got a fail-safe thermostat after my cars overflow was smoking and i could smell coolant. so yeah it ran me about 25$ and its not a honda thermo neither so as long as the gasket and equipment fit, use it.
                      1991 HONDA ACCORD LX (MY BABY) COLD AIR, FULL EXHAUST. COMIN UP: CIVIC SPOILER!

Comment

Working...
                      X