1997 cd5 engine codes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1997 cd5 engine codes?

Thanks cb7tuner allowing cd5 to post up in here. Im working on my sisters 97 cd5, it has a check engine light on, trip the connector. I have four long flashes and one shortl flash, then it repeats. Dont know if Im looking at four long flashes (40) with a ending short flash, or am I looking at (41) with the short flash as being (1). Need a clarification on reading the codes right, and I need the to know what code Im I looking up. Thank you.

hey man, I can't help you, but I cant find my plug.
    To this day, I have no idea where it's located, and what
    it looks like. Can you snap a pic for me ?

:Back In Business...

Comment

On my 94, it is under the passengers side of the dash board. Sitting in the passengers side of the seat, it is closer to the outside of the car than the middle. It is directly forward (behind from the seated point of view) the glove box, just above the bottom of the dash. Easiest way to see it is to kind of lay on your shoulders with your head down in the foot well. Mine was clipped into place up there, so took me a bit to figure out what it was.

Comment

Tomquick, ur so much on the monery. Anyone know what P0401 is?

Comment

yes there are two connectors. one for servicing and the other i believe is for data.. passenger side. under glove box. sometimes they are clipped together if never looked at b4

Comment

Thank you sir! It looks to me like the code is going to be 41, which is the heated O2 sensor heater.

Reset the ECM. (turn ignition off, remove BACK UP (7.5A) fuse from the under hood fuse / relay box for 10 seconds, replace fuse.)

Start engine (short connector in)

If the check light stays off now it is an intermittent failure, check for poor electrical connections at O2 sensor.

If the light comes on, and shows code 41 again turn ignition off.

Disconnect the O2 sensor connector. Measure resistance between the bottom two terminals on the O2 side, with the key way facing up. Resistance should be between 10 and 40 Ohms. If it's outside that range, the O2 sensor is bad.

Sorry I didn't post this earlier, but I didn't have the time!

Test between each of the two terminals, and ground for continuity. If either terminal has continuity to ground, replace the O2 sensor.

Check for continuity between the lower right terminal, and each of the two top terminals. If there is continuity between the lower right terminal, and either of the two top terminals replace the O2 sensor.

Turn the Ignition switch on. On the O2 sensor plug that goes into the car wiring, check for voltage between the YEL/BLK (+) terminal, and the ORN/BLK (-) terminal.

If there IS battery voltage there either there is a short in the ORN/BLK wire between the ECM and the O2 sensor plug, you have a bad ECM, or you have a bad O2 sensor. Instructions for further testing require special test harness from Honda, might want a dealer to diagnose at this point, or rule out a short, and then replace the O2 sensor to see if that solves it.

If there is NOT battery voltage, turn the ignition off. Look for a break in the ORN/BLK wire. If there is no break, then substitute a known good ECM.

In the end, it is most likely a bad O2 sensor, but this is the full factory test procedure, minus the bits that require the special test harness.
            Last edited by TomQuick; 08-03-2010, 11:04 PM.

Comment

I still can't find the damn plug. Can someone take a
              picture for me ? I don't know what its suppose to look
              like. And since I did a wire tuck. Alot of the wires are around
              the glovebox.

Comment

Tom quick, shoot! I thought it was p40, egr restriction and told my sister about it. I guess I contact her tomorrow and follow (41) recomendation and write up. Thanks for clarifying
                laloquera

Comment

No problem, hope it helps. To be honest, if it were me, I'd probably just slap a new O2 in there and see if that didn't solve the problem. Other stuff could be wrong, and you should at least verify visually that the connector for the O2 sensor looks good, and there is no obvious damage to the wiring, but usually it's just a bad sensor.

Comment

Originally posted by RyderzUnlimited View Post
                    I still can't find the damn plug. Can someone take a
                    picture for me ? I don't know what its suppose to look
                    like. And since I did a wire tuck. Alot of the wires are around
                    the glovebox.
                    Here is what it might look like

This is a pick as it sits mounted up under the glove box

This is the entire mounting clip

and here is the actual 2 pin connector that you short for the self diagnostics
                    Last edited by GhostAccord; 08-05-2010, 08:39 AM.
                    MR Thread
                    GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by laloquera View Post
                      Tomquick, ur so much on the monery. Anyone know what P0401 is?
                      If you used a scan tool and retrieved a DTC of P0401 that is an Insufficient flow Error for the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) . This can be corrected by doing an EGR manifold cleaning. http://www.freewebs.com/hondadude/95...5AccordEGR.htm
                      MR Thread
                      GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

He didn't use a scan tool, did the short and read flashes, got four longs, and one short flash.

Comment

Ah OK, I saw him ask if anyone knew what P0401 was after all that self diagnostic talk and just assumed he had a scan tool.

4 long flashes and 1 short, using the seld diagnostic method, does not = P0401....
                          MR Thread
                          GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by GhostAccord View Post
                            If you used a scan tool and retrieved a DTC of P0401 that is an Insufficient flow Error for the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) . This can be corrected by doing an EGR manifold cleaning. http://www.freewebs.com/hondadude/95...5AccordEGR.htm
                            The sensor sometimes goes wonky and you would have to replace the whole valve to fix it. I hade mine cleaned and the motor ran much better but the code still comes up even if you clear it. CEL has been on 2 years and thats the only code it's throwing.

Sory for jacking lol, good luck OP.

Comment

Thanx ghost! Thats awesome. Now I know what to look for. I had
                              my glove box out, and ran most of my engine's wire harness
                              through the firewall. And I do not recall seeing that harness. I hope
                              the previous owner did not take that out for some reason...
                              I will check it tomorrow. I'm gettin the check engine light every
                              once and awhile, and it turns off after I turn the car off and on. I'm
                              thinking its just an o2 sensor...

Comment

Working...
                              X