No announcement yet.

High Beam HID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

because we were not talking about bi-xenon but just normal sepearte high/low beams maybe?

Whatever i have preference and im going to do it the way i like it. I know from my experience how i would like my lights to operate and thats how im going to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post
      because we were not talking about bi-xenon but just normal sepearte high/low beams maybe?

Whatever i have preference and im going to do it the way i like it. I know from my experience how i would like my lights to operate and thats how im going to do it.
      yes yes...that's all well and good. Your idea is cool, i like it. But we were discussing the use of HID bulbs in a halogen high beam bowl. The discussion then moved to the comparison of that set-up and its pros and cons to the use of bi-xenon projectors and how they are better in every regard. Unless of course your preference negates that fact.

Why Bi-Xenon HID Projectors are better than using HID bulbs in halogen high-beam housings.

1. Because most people won't be able to use their high beams for longer than ~1-3min. And when using HIDs it's bad for them to be turned on and off before coming up to temperature. Also, the halogen bowl won't adequately use the light output of the bulb. It will scatter and will lose total output.

2. Bi-Xenon Projectors allow you to have a 'high-beam HID' without having to actually turn on a new set of HID bulbs. Saving those bulbs from any undue stress. They simply drop the cut-off, giving you HID out put with a high beam pattern.

That's pretty cut and dry... I don't think it is off-topic. I think all our posts contain good info on this subject.

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

yes and my idea is exactly using an HID bulb in the high beam housing... just like the OP was asking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post
          yes and my idea is exactly using an HID bulb in the high beam housing... just like the OP was asking about.
          How does this help anything? You're just repeating yourself. I guess we're done here.

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

Originally posted by Function>Form View Post
            How does this help anything? You're just repeating yourself. I guess we're done here.
            Well keep the thread on topic and it won't happen again. Sorry for any incontinence i caused you.

Comment

For those who read this thread up to this point, please disregard posts 18-20. They are off topic and useless.

The posts before them contain what i believe to be good information on the subject. To any mod that feels it necessary to take action...i understand.

Hope someone finds some use out of this thread.

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

When I had my Mazda 3, it had projector low beams and halogen high beams.

I used 6000k HIDs in the low beams and the stock high beam bulbs.

I had several nights driving home up I-15 from Montana where for miles, from Great Falls, to the Canadian border is literally pitch black. My HIDs were useless at 75-80mph in the dark.

Standard halogen high beams lit up the road and were more than sufficient without overdriving my lights at that speed.

My only argument in this topic is that I do not see the need for HIDs in the high beams for the few times they are ever needed. Stock high beams, or an upgraded halogen bulb is enough.

Low beam HIDs are great for normal driving situations, provided you have 4300-5000k. I found my 6000s to be too blue and actually reduced visibility.

Comment

Same with my 6000ks. Although they were great at first, problem was they started out looking like 5400k, then ended up looking like 7000k

Anyway, basic review of headlights

1. Low-beams are designed to aim specifically so that other drivers aren't blinded, while still providing a good amount of light on the road in front of you, as well as above you a bit on the right
                  2. High-beams are designed to shine light everywhere, and are able to distract oncoming drivers very badly because of the fact the light is so visible to them, NOT because high beam bulbs are brighter.
                  3. Simple Projector housings are designed to act similar to low-beam housings, they shine light in front of you, as well as to the right side of your car (at the ditch, no oncoming traffic), only with a much sharper cutoff at the edges, so the car can use a brighter light and shine further forward without blinding oncoming drivers
                  4. Bi-xenon projector housings are the best of both worlds. They have a setting like the simple projector (doesn't blind drivers) and then they have a diaphragm that opens up so the housing allows the bulb to shine everywhere like a high-beam

Now, basic review of halogen vs HID bulbs
                  HIDs: Last longer, use less power, shine brighter, don't endure short bursts of on/off very well
                  Halogens: Use a bit more power, aren't quite as bright, don't always last as long, but they stand up much better to flashing than HIDs do.

Because people often have to flash their brights (to inform an oncoming driver to turn off their high beams so you can see, or to inform the driver ahead of you that you are pissed off at them by temporarily blinding them), or because people have to shut off their brights for a few seconds when an oncoming car appears, halogens are much more popular than HIDs for high beams. Using HID high beam bulbs means that you can't ever flash your brights, nor can you shut them off for a short period then turn them back on right away. And of course if you use an HID in a high beam housing, if you don't turn off your brights, all you're doing is putting a much brighter light into a housing that already blinds oncoming traffic... If you blind someone with that setup, you're just begging for a ticket, or potentially for some jackass to chase you down and try to knock the headlights outta your car.

Anywho, best solution
                  Bi-xenon projectors, that gives you HID low beams and high beams. But because the housing uses a diaphragm, your car aims the projectors to not blind traffic when the diaphragm is closed, and when it opens, you get omni-directional light with your HIDs, making them high beams.

If you really wanna go nuts
                  http://www.retrosolutionsllc.com/ser...VERSION/Detail
                  Try the adjustable HID bulbs. That way you have it at low wattage (30, lower than the standard 35, won't draw attention to you) when you're driving in the city, then when you're out in the middle of nowhere open the diaphragm and turn it up to 55 watts and you can see everything.

Comment

Best post of the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarthos View Post
                      Same with my 6000ks. Although they were great at first, problem was they started out looking like 5400k, then ended up looking like 7000k

Anyway, basic review of headlights

1. Low-beams are designed to aim specifically so that other drivers aren't blinded, while still providing a good amount of light on the road in front of you, as well as above you a bit on the right
                      2. High-beams are designed to shine light everywhere, and are able to distract oncoming drivers very badly because of the fact the light is so visible to them, NOT because high beam bulbs are brighter.
                      3. Simple Projector housings are designed to act similar to low-beam housings, they shine light in front of you, as well as to the right side of your car (at the ditch, no oncoming traffic), only with a much sharper cutoff at the edges, so the car can use a brighter light and shine further forward without blinding oncoming drivers
                      4. Bi-xenon projector housings are the best of both worlds. They have a setting like the simple projector (doesn't blind drivers) and then they have a diaphragm that opens up so the housing allows the bulb to shine everywhere like a high-beam

Now, basic review of halogen vs HID bulbs
                      HIDs: Last longer, use less power, shine brighter, don't endure short bursts of on/off very well
                      Halogens: Use a bit more power, aren't quite as bright, don't always last as long, but they stand up much better to flashing than HIDs do.

Because people often have to flash their brights (to inform an oncoming driver to turn off their high beams so you can see, or to inform the driver ahead of you that you are pissed off at them by temporarily blinding them), or because people have to shut off their brights for a few seconds when an oncoming car appears, halogens are much more popular than HIDs for high beams. Using HID high beam bulbs means that you can't ever flash your brights, nor can you shut them off for a short period then turn them back on right away. And of course if you use an HID in a high beam housing, if you don't turn off your brights, all you're doing is putting a much brighter light into a housing that already blinds oncoming traffic... If you blind someone with that setup, you're just begging for a ticket, or potentially for some jackass to chase you down and try to knock the headlights outta your car.

Anywho, best solution
                      Bi-xenon projectors, that gives you HID low beams and high beams. But because the housing uses a diaphragm, your car aims the projectors to not blind traffic when the diaphragm is closed, and when it opens, you get omni-directional light with your HIDs, making them high beams.

If you really wanna go nuts
                      http://www.retrosolutionsllc.com/ser...VERSION/Detail
                      Try the adjustable HID bulbs. That way you have it at low wattage (30, lower than the standard 35, won't draw attention to you) when you're driving in the city, then when you're out in the middle of nowhere open the diaphragm and turn it up to 55 watts and you can see everything.
                      I run the retrosolutions ballast, the adjustable one. I loved the adjustability. But if I were to do it again id just go with standard 55 watts from them. I leave them at 55watts all the time, my lights are pretty bright. Thankfully they are projectors.
                      What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

I run the retrosolutions ballast, the adjustable one. I loved the adjustability. But if I were to do it again id just go with standard 55 watts from them. I leave them at 55watts all the time, my lights are pretty bright. Thankfully they are projectors.
                        That would work just fine with good projectors. Hopefully you have bi-xenon? Only thing is that if you don't have projectors you'll horribly blind everyone. Especially if they're like 6000k or any higher colors. And of course that prevents you from getting the energy savings that HIDs are good for when you're using low beams. But since you're only running 55 watts x 2, you're saving good power over low beams + high beams.

Comment

Working...
                        X