Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3geez.com 3rd brake light

I saw a this on 3geez.com and I thought it was a neat idea on a cb7
    Except, rather than use a laminated cardboard cutout I did it with a stencil over the red brake lense,with some layers of black and gold paint and this is the end result. What do you think?

It looks crooked because I didnt sit the rear deck flush, but thats another time.
    Last edited by ShiroiKinCB; 06-25-2013, 01:03 AM.

ShiroiKinCB

Reminds me of this:

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Things like that were really big about a decade ago. I don't know if I ever saw one on a CB7, but other cars all had them (I think I recall seeing a Mustang locally.)

Comment

Originally posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
        Reminds me of this:

Those dont even light up red do they? That reminds me of the little jdm CRX honda badge that lights up indiglo.

ShiroiKinCB

Comment

If they don't light up red, they're technically illegal... though most of the parts we put on our cars are, it seems.

Comment

I guess I'm just never going to understand modifications that impede the functionality of brake lights. Be it this or smoking the lenses it all just seems counter-productive to operating a safe vehicle. If I care about looks more than the safety of myself, my passengers or others on the road then how am I any different from those we label as ricers?
            My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
              I guess I'm just never going to understand modifications that impede the functionality of brake lights. Be it this or smoking the lenses it all just seems counter-productive to operating a safe vehicle. If I care about looks more than the safety of myself, my passengers or others on the road then how am I any different from those we label as ricers?
              This is so true. I have left all my lights stock. The only upgrade I did was put the same color bulb as the lens. Red Lens=Red Bulb, Amber Lens=Amber Bulb.
              This makes your lights way brighter than using a plain white bulb. I want people to see exactly what I`m doing when on the road, Stopping, Turning, etc...
              Can take it a step further and use LED bulbs too. Super Bright, as seen on newer cars.
              My 3rd Brake Light has been replaced with the LED bar from a stock/oem spoiler.
              Very visible, and very bright, all my friends like it.

Project:Black Skittle

AOM->April 2014

MRT->http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=199779

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
                I understand the smoked brakelights, and the hazard they can become.... but all mine is is a functional, visible, bright all red brakelight that just happens to read "honda", nothing else. So whats so unsafe about my shit?

ShiroiKinCB

Comment

Originally posted by ShiroiKinCB View Post
                  I understand the smoked brakelights, and the hazard they can become.... but all mine is is a functional, visible, bright all red brakelight that just happens to read "honda", nothing else. So whats so unsafe about my shit?
                  I don`t think he was singling you out. Your mod is tasteful and still functions as intended. That being said, he was just talking about light modifications in general, like I was.

Project:Black Skittle

AOM->April 2014

MRT->http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=199779

Comment

Yeah, it was just in general... like these:

But yes, anything that decreases the area of the brake light decreases its visibility. They are meant to be seen clearly.

Comment

Like DanCan said, I wasn't singling you out. However, you can't argue with math. If there was originally 100% of the visible lens area that the light was able to shine through there is now a lesser amount available due to some surface area being covered up. Compromising safety is just not really worth it to me when there are plenty of other things I can do to my car that don't.
                      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

What if I did it to where its similar to the bumper light mod, except tap it into the brake intead, to where its on when my taillights are on , and brightens up when I press on the brake? More visibility. less distraction.

My tail lamps do kinda look tinted in the first picture...lol.
                        they are not for the record.
                        Last edited by ShiroiKinCB; 06-25-2013, 04:29 PM.

ShiroiKinCB

Comment

So you want your third brake light always on, just at a lower intensity? The illumination is the giveaway to drivers behind you that you're applying the brake pedal. They shouldn't be left guessing whether or not the current intensity was the one that indicated that you were braking, or if there was a brighter setting they hadn't seen yet.

Comment

looks good

Originally posted by DanCan View Post
                            This is so true. I have left all my lights stock. The only upgrade I did was put the same color bulb as the lens. Red Lens=Red Bulb, Amber Lens=Amber Bulb.
                            This makes your lights way brighter than using a plain white bulb. I want people to see exactly what I`m doing when on the road, Stopping, Turning, etc...
                            Can take it a step further and use LED bulbs too. Super Bright, as seen on newer cars.
                            My 3rd Brake Light has been replaced with the LED bar from a stock/oem spoiler.
                            Very visible, and very bright, all my friends like it.
                            i had LED bulbs on my previous car and one thing i noticed is that the lights are bright at night but barely visible in the day time. i even put red LEDs as turn signals on mu wifes 06 sonata and even with the clear lens (by clear i mean you can see the buld and type of bulb) the brightness in the day time wasnt that visible.

only LED's i have are reverse, license plate and the "day runners" in the front corners
                            FRIENDS
                            DONT LET
                            FRIENDS
                            ROLL ON
                            ROTA'S

Comment

Originally posted by jarrett View Post
                              so You Want Your Third Brake Light Always On, Just At A Lower Intensity? The Illumination Is The Giveaway To Drivers Behind You That You're Applying The Brake Pedal. They Shouldn't Be Left Guessing Whether Or Not The Current Intensity Was The One That Indicated That You Were Braking, Or If There Was A Brighter Setting They Hadn't Seen Yet.
                              True true... maybe it can be a distraction after all...im still keeping it though until I get blurped by the poh-lease.
                              Last edited by ShiroiKinCB; 07-01-2013, 12:30 AM.

ShiroiKinCB

Comment

Working...
                              X