Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tow Strap for the CB (Not just for looks)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tow Strap for the CB (Not just for looks)

Installed and tested a tow strap for the Accord. Had my front lip not been cracked prior to having it towed last week (my balance shaft seal had popped out), the place where the operator had to hook up would have cracked the lip once tension was put on the tow cable. Here's a nice solution for $30.

That's a grade 9 bolt. The washers are from the mounting points for the differential of a 350Z. This (in theory) spreads out the load across a larger area making it less prone to cracking under stress.

This is what it looks like with the full weight of the car on the strap as it's being pulled up a flat bed. You can see the deflection in the fiberglass rebar, but it's nothing I would worry about.

Test video:

Props to the tow truck operator. He does a fine job of not hitting the lip or the exhaust every time. Ever since I installed the lip, I've never used anyone else.

fiberglass hates flexing.. dont be surprised in a season or 2 your bumper support starts to delaminate. And if you were mired, the first tug of the winch no matter how much you would baby it, itd come flying out of there.

now if you just use this for loading and unloading onto a flatbed you might be alright besides the fiberglass eventually splintering apart.

That little bit of red seatbelt webbing cost 30 bucks? damn...

Last edited by illinois_erik; 12-04-2013, 08:22 PM.

Comment

We all call it fiberglass but I'm 90% sure it's fiber reinforced plastic, especially given the way it behaves when you drill through it.

That being said, it will be used pretty much exclusively for loading on and off a flat bed.

I'd say $30 isn't bad for about a foot of seatbelt material sewn whatever special way they do to prevent the whole thing unraveling (which can also withstand a few thousand pounds of stress) and the fastening bracket. Not to mention that's the price I payed at the Sebring Raceway speed shop which probably has a decent hike on the prices to turn a profit.

Ultimately I think it's a better option when compared to aluminum tow hooks.

Comment

Ive been thinking of doing that for a while but was thinking of using a stock bolt, but there's none that would work for that. But that's cool. Might do this now

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

then i see my baby, suddenly I'm not crazy,
        It all makes sense when i look into her eyes

Comment

Nice thread and I'd use that tow truck driver too.

Here's one I found online that's similar, but adjustable. I'd like to find a solid metal point to mount it to also.
          http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/p...tionalProducts

Formerly 91AccordExR33
          11.68 @ 127mph
          417whp/375wtq
          Sold: 8/2016

Comment

They were actually selling that same style strap as well but I preferred the OMP one.

Comment

All i could think of was the strap/connection breaking and the car rolling backwards until something stopped it. We are talking about 3000lbs.

Comment

I like this much better than those ridiculous hooks that so many people put on their cars but I still don't get the fascination with having them visible. Can you not improve the towability of your car without advertising it? People who put those Benen or similar tow hooks on their cars are revealing how retarded they are when most with any sense know that it is secured to a very weak member of the car if not just the bumper cover. Like I said, this is better, but what is the point in showing it off?
                My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

why don't you just run it to the same location as the factory tow hook with a longer bolt?

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
                  I like this much better than those ridiculous hooks that so many people put on their cars but I still don't get the fascination with having them visible. Can you not improve the towability of your car without advertising it? People who put those Benen or similar tow hooks on their cars are revealing how retarded they are when most with any sense know that it is secured to a very weak member of the car if not just the bumper cover. Like I said, this is better, but what is the point in showing it off?
                  Many sanctioning bodies require a visible tow hook or strap with an arrow pointing to it, but that's just for race cars. A street car doing that is just imitating.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
                  Originally posted by Stephen Fry
                  'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
                  Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                    All i could think of was the strap/connection breaking and the car rolling backwards until something stopped it. We are talking about 3000lbs.
                    These straps are made of the same stuff as the racing harnesses, they're meant to withstand extreme forces.
                    Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
                    I like the look of it. Gives the car a sort of race inspired feel. The strap is nice because I can tuck it away behind the bumper if I don't want to see it.
                    Originally posted by steelbluesleepR View Post
                    why don't you just run it to the same location as the factory tow hook with a longer bolt?
                    The factory tow point is underneath the car. If I did that I'd still run the risk of cracking the lip.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike1357 View Post
                      The factory tow point is underneath the car. If I did that I'd still run the risk of cracking the lip.
                      but look at where it is bolted. from the bolts, it goes down to the bottom of the car. if you attach it to the top bolt of the three that are there, you'll be connecting straight to the frame (the only good place to tow from; connecting to the plastic bumper support is just dumb) and it should be able to come straight forward through the bumper.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
                      Originally posted by Stephen Fry
                      'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
                      Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

What is this thing attached to?

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                          What is this thing attached to?
                          First post bro

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

then i see my baby, suddenly I'm not crazy,
                          It all makes sense when i look into her eyes

Comment

Originally posted by Quashish View Post
                            First post bro
                            sorry, work was blockin pics.

Comment

Originally posted by steelbluesleepR View Post
                              but look at where it is bolted. from the bolts, it goes down to the bottom of the car. if you attach it to the top bolt of the three that are there, you'll be connecting straight to the frame (the only good place to tow from; connecting to the plastic bumper support is just dumb) and it should be able to come straight forward through the bumper.
                              That's still pretty low but I suppose you could use it. I don't think that mounting it to the rebar is as dumb as everyone is saying it is but ultimately time will tell.

Comment

Working...
                              X