[Gauges] Painting the needles with UV reactive paint, using UV Leds up top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Gauges] Painting the needles with UV reactive paint, using UV Leds up top

hey guys i remmeber awhile back i found a DIY where the guy painted the needles with a UV reactive paint and put UV led bulbs up top (the ones that light up the needles) and the needles would glow the color you painted them, but during the day they stay white, i cant find the DIY anywhere, maybe someone has it? Did i get this correctly this will work?

thanks guys
    1991 Accord LX Coupe - Boosted F22 - 5spd LSD - Shaved Bay - Work VSXX - Recaro SRD

Member's Ride Page | Video of my CB7, Open Downpipe peelout

anyone? I guess im gonna have to try this, just wondering if im gonna fuck anything up by painting needles lightly with a brush?
    1991 Accord LX Coupe - Boosted F22 - 5spd LSD - Shaved Bay - Work VSXX - Recaro SRD

Comment

It is possible. I tried this but i only used 2 LEDs and they werent quite bright enough to fully utilize the paint. But with enough it is possible to make it work.

If you arent particularly skilled with a brush it will look like ass in the daytime.
      http://www.hondanews.com/releases/19...d-introduction

Comment

really? i thought the paint is transperent?

Comment

I painted my needles with a Q-Tip, turned out nice. I got a pix, check it out.

And a night pix, lighting wasn't so great, and the flash made it look like sh!t, so you'll get an idea.

Comment

that looks pretty good man, is that UV reactive paint or just regular?

Comment

that looks better than most brush paint jobs I've seen. SO, i would say use Qtips and UV paint and it should look nice.

Comment

Hey I like the idea. Would regular glow-in-the-dark paint work with these UV LEDs you're referring to?
                Former: 90 Accord EX Coupe, 93 10th Anniversary in Frost White

1985 Volvo 245 manual [IPD lowering springs, IPD sway bars, OEM Virgo wheels, 1977 quad round headlights, 1978 grill]
                2001 Mazda B3000 SE 4x4 extended cab [stock except for CB radio]
                2008 Ford Escape XLT [bone stock]
                2015 Toyota Prius Three with solar roof [rear diffuser, Vision Cross wheels... cheaper than steelies!]

Comment

Originally posted by F22PWR
                  running a little hot there?
                  Former: 90 Accord EX Coupe, 93 10th Anniversary in Frost White

1985 Volvo 245 manual [IPD lowering springs, IPD sway bars, OEM Virgo wheels, 1977 quad round headlights, 1978 grill]
                  2001 Mazda B3000 SE 4x4 extended cab [stock except for CB radio]
                  2008 Ford Escape XLT [bone stock]
                  2015 Toyota Prius Three with solar roof [rear diffuser, Vision Cross wheels... cheaper than steelies!]

Comment

I was thinking of doing the same thing... but instead of using LED's, using UV Cathode or neon tubes... really little ones

Comment

Originally posted by ACCORDianate
                      Hey I like the idea. Would regular glow-in-the-dark paint work with these UV LEDs you're referring to?
                      It should, but I think paint thats labeled UV reactive will work better.

Comment

Working...
                      X